On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aerofoil
What does aerofoil mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aerofoils
- a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of aerofoil: airfoil / control surface / surface
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- aileron = an airfoil that controls lateral motion
- elevator = the airfoil on the tailplane of an aircraft that makes it ascend or descend
- flaps / flap = a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing
- horizontal stabiliser / horizontal stabilizer / tailplane = the horizontal airfoil of an aircraft's tail assembly that is fixed and to which the elevator is hinged
- rotary wing / rotor blade = the long airfoil that rotates to provide the lift that supports a helicopter in the air
- rudder = a hinged vertical airfoil mounted at the tail of an aircraft and used to make horizontal course changes
- spoiler = a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag
- spoiler = an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds
- stabilizer = airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft
- vertical tail = the vertical airfoil in the tail assembly of an aircraft
- wing = one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
Alternative definition of the noun aerofoil
- A structure shaped to produce lift when moving in air.
- synonym: foil
- A wing of an aircraft.
- synonym: wing
Specialised definition of the noun aerofoil
Glossary of sports
a part of an aircraft's or other vehicle's surface that acts on the air to provide lift or control (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aerofoil
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Splinter
Aerofoil section 43 A...
by Frank Hitchens
Aerofoil The British favour the term aerofoil as opposed to the American term airfoil . Both terms have the same meaning when referring to wing-shaped objects such as control surfaces, wings or turbine blades, etc . See Airfoils. Aerofoil section ...
by Andrew Lee Dyke
AILERONS BRACING V STRUT MAIN SUPPORTING UPPISH WINGS OR AEROFOIL Fig. 2a — A gun tunnel is provided in some of the German make of machines. Side view ehowlng aaohlne gune Fig. 2: Gotha "pusher" type biplane: Length ...
Based Upon the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster : with a Reference Library and Treasury of Facts by Noah Webster, Harry Thurston Peck
phugoid curve, a curve showing the flignt-path of an aerofoil. pitch (pitch), the distance through which a given point of a propeller advances during one revolution, parallel to the axis, in a solid nut. plane (plan), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aerofoil
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about aerofoil
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Aerofoil section
Of an old 1950s German built glider currently being restored in a hanger at Shoreham airfield.
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
- Pendant - Sterling Silver Aerofoil
Photo credit: K4renD
- Miss Britain III aerofoil boat
Photo credit: Ben Sutherland
- Cessna 177, Aerofoil Avn, Leeds/Bfd
Photo credit: Ian A Gratton
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of A1E1R1O1F4O1I1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of aerofoil to see it in context!