On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aerofoil
What does aerofoil mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aerofoils
- a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of aerofoil: airfoil / control surface / surface
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- aileron = an airfoil that controls lateral motion
- elevator = the airfoil on the tailplane of an aircraft that makes it ascend or descend
- flaps / flap = a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing
- horizontal stabiliser / horizontal stabilizer / tailplane = the horizontal airfoil of an aircraft's tail assembly that is fixed and to which the elevator is hinged
- rotary wing / rotor blade = the long airfoil that rotates to provide the lift that supports a helicopter in the air
- rudder = a hinged vertical airfoil mounted at the tail of an aircraft and used to make horizontal course changes
- spoiler = a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag
- spoiler = an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds
- stabilizer = airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft
- vertical tail = the vertical airfoil in the tail assembly of an aircraft
- wing = one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
Alternative definition of the noun aerofoil
- A structure shaped to produce lift when moving in air.
- synonym: foil
- A wing of an aircraft.
- synonym: wing
Specialised definition of the noun aerofoil
Glossary of sports
a part of an aircraft's or other vehicle's surface that acts on the air to provide lift or control (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aerofoil
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Hélder Rodrigues, José Herskovits, Christóvão Mota Soares, José Miranda Guedes, Aurelio Araujo, João Folgado, Filipa Moleiro, José Aguilar Madeira
NACA 0012 The NACA 0012 aerofoil is a widely studied symmetrical aerofoil. As the geometry is simple...
by Phil Croucher
THE AEROFOIL An aerofoil is a device that creates a lift reaction out of the air. To understand how it does this, we must understand how static pressure works. The weight of the air inside a column that is 1 foot square at sea level is 2116.16 lbs ...
by Phil Croucher
An aerofoil is a device that can create a lift reaction out of the air. To understand how it does this, we must understand how static pressure works. The weight of the air in a column that is 1 foot square at sea level is 2116.16 lbs (on a standard ...
Fluid Dynamics (2003)
The aerofoil is a cylinder whose cross-section is a curve of fish type. (iii) The flow is two-dimensional irrotational cyclic motion. These assumptions are simply approximations to the real position of flow. The profiles obtained by application of ...
by Frank Hitchens
Aerofoil The British favour the term aerofoil as opposed to the American term airfoil . Both terms have the same meaning when referring to wing-shaped objects such as control surfaces, wings or turbine blades, etc . See Airfoils. Aerofoil section ...
by Don Goodsell
Horizontal transverse aerofoil, usually with facilities for control or adjustment of angle of incidence, and usually for directing air flow over a vehicle rather than for generating lift. (2) Controllable rear part of ...
by Michael Kent
A typical aerofoil is the wing of an aeroplane, but projectiles such as javelins also share this property. aerosol administration 1 The application of a coolant spray from a pressurized can to treat soft tissue injuries. The spray contains volatile ...
by Joel Alswang
a half loop aircraft enters a loop and, at the top of the loop, is half-rolled to straight and level rudder vertical aerofoil pivoted from the tailplane of an aircraft for controlling its movement around its normal axis scoring each sequence separately, ...
by Dennis R. Heldman
Adjustable aerofoil Adjustable longitudinal Gilted heater Reversible vanes aerofoil vanes batteries fan Fig. 2 Diagram of a recirculated humid air thawer for frozen fish blocks. Office, UK.] Fig. 3 Apples are inspected at the sorting table ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aerofoil
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about aerofoil
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Aerofoil section
Of an old 1950s German built glider currently being restored in a hanger at Shoreham airfield.
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
- Pendant - Sterling Silver Aerofoil
Photo credit: K4renD
- Miss Britain III aerofoil boat
Photo credit: Ben Sutherland
- Cessna 177, Aerofoil Avn, Leeds/Bfd
Photo credit: Ian A Gratton
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of A1E1R1O1F4O1I1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of aerofoil to see it in context!