On this page:
Definition of the noun aerophyte
What does aerophyte mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aerophytes
- plant that derives moisture and nutrients from the air and rain; usually grows on another plant but not parasitic on it
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of aerophyte: air plant / epiphyte / epiphytic plant
- more generic terms: flora / plant / plant life = a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
- more specific terms:
- Clusia insignis / waxflower = epiphytic clusia of British Guiana
- Tillandsia usneoides / old man's beard / Spanish moss / black moss / long moss = dense festoons of greenish-grey hairlike flexuous strands anchored to tree trunks and branches by sparse wiry roots
- aeschynanthus = a plant of the genus Aeschynanthus having somewhat red or orange flowers and seeds having distinctive hairs at base and apex
- hemiepiphyte / semiepiphyte = a plant that is an epiphyte for part of its life
- strangler tree / strangler = an epiphytic vine or tree whose aerial roots extend down the trunk of a supporting tree and coalesce around it eventually strangling the tree
Alternative definition of the noun aerophyte
- An epiphyte
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aerophyte
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robley Dunglison
/EIPATHIA 25 AEROPHYTE continued fever; disease continuing with suffering or without prospect of cure. JEipathi'a. Aipathia. .Sluxopsis, e-lu-rop'sis (ailouros, cat , opsin, vision). Cat's-eye, seen in Mongolians, in whom the palpebral fissure is ...
Containing English Spellings and Spelling Rules; the Dictionary of English Inflected Words; Punctuation Based on the Analysis of Sentences; a Copious List of Foreign Quotations Re-spelt for Pronunciation
aerophyte. cuphuistic. child. inarch. alphabetical. geography. chill. interchange. amorphous. graphic. chillies. kerchief. amphibious. hemisphere, ...
by Arthur Alger Crozier
AIR-PLANT, a plant growing in the air detached from the soil, as certain orchids; aerophyte. Generally applied only to epiphytic flowering plants. AIR-FORE, see STOMA. LKENE' see ACHENIIZM. KLL (pl. K113), see WING. KL1BAS'TRfiM, an ...
by Dawn Freshwater, Sian Masiln-Prothero
aerophyte (air′ -ō-fit): An organism that lives on air or oxygen. aeroplethysmograph (air′ -ō-ple-thiz′-mo- graf): An apparatus for measuring and registering the amount of air inspired and ...
Pocket Medical Dictionary (1999)
by B. Jain Publishers Staff
Aerophyte, a'-er-o-fit. A plant living exclusively in the air. Aeroplethysmograph, a- er-o-pleth-is'-mo-graf. An instrument to record the respired air. A'eroscope. An instrument for the examination of air-dust. Aerostatics, a-er-o-stat'-iks. The science ...
Aerophyte,ā′ėrofīt, n.aplantnourished by theair,as epiphytal orchids andmanylichens.[Gr.aēr,air,phyton, a plant.] Aerostat ...
by I. C. Gupta, S. K. Gupta
Aerophyte A plant growing attached to an aerial portion of another plant. Also epiphyte. Aerosols Finely divided antiseptic solutions sprayed into the air. Aesculus indica See Indian horse chestnut.
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
AEROPHYTE Noun. (Greek, aer = air + phyton = plant. PL, Aerophytes.) An Epiphyte. See Habitat. Cf. Halophyte; Hydrophyte; Psammophyte. AEROPLANKTON Noun. (Greek, aer = air + plangktos = wandering. PL, Aeroplanktons.) Organisms ...
English spellings and spelling rules. [With] The dictionary of English inflected words [and] Punctuation: also, foreign phrases and quotations. Forming pt.1 (-3) of the Handy English word book (1876)
by James Stormonth
aerophyte. euphuistic. child. inarch. alphabetical. geography.
Nuttall's spelling bee guide, condensed from Nuttall's standard pronouncing dictionary, Warne's ed (1876)
Aerophyte, ayr'-o-file — a plant which lives exclusively in the air. Aerostat, ayr'-o- stal—a. machine or vessel capable of sustaining Aerostatic, ayr-o-staf-ik — suspending in air. [weights in the air. Aerostation, ayr-os-ta'-shun — the science of ...
by American Heritage Dictionary
Also called aerophyte, air plant.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aerophyte
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about aerophyte
Video shows what aerophyte means. An epiphyte. Aerophyte Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say aerophyte. Powered by ...
Scrabble value of A1E1R1O1P3H4Y4T1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AEROPHYTE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of aerophyte!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of aerophyte to find many related words and phrases!