The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun affair:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun affair
- Phrases with Affair
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affair
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affair
- Photos about Affair
- Video language resources about Affair
- Quotes about Affair
- Scrabble value of A1F4F4A1I1R1
- Anagrams of AFFAIR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun affair
What does affair mean as a name of something?
Affair is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: affairs
- a vaguely specified concern
- example: it is none of your affair
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of affair: matter / thing
- more generic word: concern = something that interests you because it is important or affects you
- more specific word: least = something that is of no importance
- a usually secretive or illicit sexual relationship
- a vaguely specified social event
- example: the party was quite an affair
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of affair: function / occasion / social function / social occasion
- more generic term: social event = an event characteristic of persons forming groups
- more specific terms:
- party = an occasion on which people can assemble for social interaction and entertainment
- celebration / jubilation = a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- ceremonial occasion / ceremonial / observance / ceremony = a formal event performed on a special occasion
- fundraiser = a social function that is held for the purpose of raising money
- photo opportunity / photo op = an occasion that lends itself to (or is deliberately arranged for) taking photographs that provide favorable publicity for those who are photographed
- sleepover = an occasion of spending a night away from home or having a guest spend the night in your home
Alternative definition of the noun affair
- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- [military] An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de cœur.)
- "Affair" is a romance, drama, melodrama film directed by Kim In-gyoo and Kim Min-joon.
- also known as Mil-ae
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- directors: Kim In-gyoo & Kim Min-joon
- genres: Romance Film, Drama, Melodrama, East Asian cinema, World cinema
- rating: Teenager Restricted
- released on
- "Affair": Relasyon is a 1982 drama film written by Ishmael Bernal, Raquel Villavicencio, and Ricardo Lee and directed by Ishmael Bernal.
- also known as Relasyon
- country: Philippines
- languages: Tagalog language, Filipino language
- producer: Lily Monteverde
- production design by Benjie De Guzman
- art direction by Dennis Cid
- written by Ricky Lee, Raquel Villavicencio, Ishmael Bernal
- based on a story by Ricky Lee, Raquel Villavicencio, Ishmael Bernal
- Cesar Montano as Ralph Palomeno
- Vilma Santos as Maria Lourdes Castañeda
- Christopher de Leon as Emil
- Jimi Melendez as Junjun
- Bing Caballero
- Manny Castañeda as Edwin
- Ernie Zarate as Mr. Castañeda
- Beth Mondragon as Lisa
- Bing Fabregas
- Olive Madridejos
- Augusto Victa
- Dante Castro as Neurologist
- Tony Angeles as Abogado
- Thaemar Achacoso
- Myrna Rosales as Census
- Lucy Quinto as Mrs. Castañeda
- cinematography by Sergio Lobo
- edited by Augusto Salvador
- music by Vanishing Tribe
- genre: Drama
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Affair" is a film.
- country: United States of America
"Affair" is a book by Antony Amato.
- "Affair" is the third studio album by American singer Cherrelle. Released on November 2, 1988 by Tabu Records, It reached #15 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart; and #106 on Billboard Top 200. It spawned the #1 R&B hit "Everything I Miss At Home," which is Cherrelle's only #1 on that chart to date.
- "AFFAIR" is a musical single of Shikao Suga.
- released on (15 years ago)
Affair is a musical group.
- album: "Face to Face"
Affair: An affair is a sexual relationship or a romantic friendship or passionate attachment between two people.
- also known as Affairs
Phrases with Affair
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affair
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Emily M. Brown
Definitions An affair is a sexual involvement with someone other than the spouse, which is hidden from the spouse. The key elements are extramarital, sexual, and secret. This definition excludes open marriages and other consensual, ...
Synonyms Discriminated (1889)
A Dictionary of Synonymous Words in the English Language, Illustrated with Quotations from Standard Writers by Charles John Smith
An affair is any fact which personally affects, whether as an occurrence, a duty or obligation, a transaction or employment; and in the...
Sealing the Deal (2011)
The Love Mentor's Guide to Lasting Love by Diana Kirschner
Acting like you are having an affair is a powerful relationship enhancer no matter how long you have been together. Here is the key...
What's interesting about having an affair is that the partners are not automatically available to do the deed.
by Joseph Segen
affair. Sexology A longterm sexual liaison, usually understood to mean one in which one or both of the partners is committing adultery Vox populi As commonly used, a major whoops–faux pas, booboo, etc between 2 or more people.
Encyclopedia of Judaism (2005)
by Sara E. Karesh, Mitchell M. Hurvitz
The 1840 Damascus Affair, which involved BLOOD LIBEL accusations and the torture of innocent Jews, represented one of the first times that human rights abuses rose to the attention of an international public, and marked the start of ...
by Ephraim Kahana
The Pollard affair caused considerable damage to relations between Israel and the United States. Pollard's wife, Anne, was also sentenced to five years in prison . POLLARD AFFAIR. See POLLARD, JONATHAN JAY. QUESHET. See MOSSAD ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
affair, case [jur.], амины~(хүн амины ~) murder case, homicide, ~ бүртгэлт enquiry,~ бүртгэх to conduct an enquiry, ~ бүртгэх байгууллага organ of enquiry, хэргийн газар the scene ofthe crime, ~ зөрчил offence, ~зөрчил гаргахto ...
by W. Rubinstein, Michael A. Jolles
INDIAN SILVER AFFAIR, THE, is the name given to a financial scandal in 1912 involving wellplaced Jews. It occurred at virtually the same time as the betterknown *Marconi Affair. Ernest *Franklin, a partner intheCity merchant bankSamuel ...
by Denise Lowe
Mabel's Heroes; Heinze's Resurrection; The Professor's Daughter; A Tangled Affair; A Red Hot Romance; A Doctored Affair; A Rural Third Degree; The Sleuths at the Floral Parade; A Strong Revenge; Foiling Fickle Father; The Rube and the ...
by Brandon Toropov
U-2 affair The notorious and embarrassing U-2 affair was a diplomatic disaster for the United States and in particular for President Dwight D. EISENHOWER. The incident began in May 1960, when a U.S. airplane piloted by Francis Gary ...
English spellings and spelling rules. [With] The dictionary of English inflected words [and] Punctuation: also, foreign phrases and quotations. Forming pt.1 (-3) of the Handy English word book (1877)
by James Stormonth
affaire d'amour (F.), &f .fdr' dd.mobr', affair of love; a love ...
by Henry L. Fowkes
The first "affair" of this sort of which either history or tradition has handed down any account, is said to have occurred between an English and a French officer at the time of the surrender of Fort Chartres to the British in 1765, and in connection ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affair
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affair
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: CresySusy
Photo credit: jpandaluz
- Glam Affair - Rose
BLOGGED: Glam Affair Rose
Photo credit: Harlow Heslop
- Rose - Glam Affair
Photo credit: Luna Jubilee / !bang poses
- A DOOMED AFFAIR
a bouquet of red carnations, dead and forgotten. the possibilities are endless.
Photo credit: marc falardeau
- ROTC Affair
Photo credit: K A J O
View more pictures about Family Affair.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Affair
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Shameful Affair explanation
This hopefully clears up the most confusing aspect of the story.
- Brazil Asks Explanation To Google In The Street View Affair
Brazil Asks Explanation To Google In The Street View Affair CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR LATEST NEWS UPDATES...
- Dream meaning of Affair
- LUXE : The Definition of Opulence - A Golden Affair | Sat 2.21.09 | Culture19.com
Luxe, from the latin word luxus bears the meaning of elegance and sumptuous. Brands attain the status of "luxury goods" due to their design, quality, durability or ...
- Military sources and Members of Congress demand fuller explanation of Petraeus affair
- Bascom Affair original site and explanation courtesy US National Park System
The confrontation between Major Bascom and Cochise occurred here.
- A Current Affair: Hair language
Trudy Gilbert gives advice on 'hair language' the secret body language of hair.
- Language Matter A Documentary made by Ministry of Religions Affair, Bangladesh.
What a amazing intellectual video by Ministry of Religions Affair, Bangladesh. Credit goes to Principle Matior Rahaman,Minister, Ministry of Religions Affair, ...
- Dictionary: Affair
Meaning of the word Affair.
- A Phrasal Verb Affair CD Super Promocja Z A Phrasal Verb Affair Scene 1 Building Up Anger PDF
See also the pronunciation examples of Affair!
Quotes about Affair
Scrabble value of A1F4F4A1I1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFFAIR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Affair!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affair to see it in context!