On this page:
- Definition of the noun affirmative action
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Affirmative action
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affirmative action
- Photos about Affirmative action
- Video language resources about Affirmative action
- Quotes about Affirmative action
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun affirmative action
What does affirmative action mean as a name of something?
- a policy designed to redress past discrimination against women and minority groups through measures to improve their economic and educational opportunities
Alternative definition of the noun affirmative action
- A policy or program providing advantages for people of a minority group who are seen to have traditionally been discriminated against, with the aim of creating a more egalitarian society through preferential access to education, employment, health care, social welfare, etc.
- synonym: reverse discrimination
- "Affirmative action" is a book by Julio Faúndez.
- also known as "Affirmative action: international perspectives"
- "Affirmative action" is a book by Billington Mwangi Gituto.
- also known as "Affirmative action: the promise of a new dawn"
- "Affirmative action" is a book by Tim Wise.
- also known as "Affirmative action: racial preference in black and white"
- "Affirmative action" is a book by Thea Wingrove.
- also known as "Affirmative action: a "how to" guide for managers"
- "Affirmative action" is a book by Albert G. Mosley.
- also known as "Affirmative action: social justice or unfair preference?"
Affirmative action or positive discrimination is the policy of favoring members of a disadvantaged group who are perceived to suffer from discrimination within a culture.
- also known as 平权法案
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Affirmative action
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Encyclopedia by Huping Ling, Allan W. Austin
Affirmative action is defined as a policy or set of programs designed to give ethnic minorities (and sometimes women) preference in hiring, contracting, or admission to educational institutions, in order to redress the effects of past discrimination ...
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
Many institutions, although not mandated to do so by the federal government, voluntarily created and implemented affirmative action programs as they attempted to find ways to eliminate discriminatory practices and improve opportunities for ...
by Phillip Anthony O'Hara
Definition and nature Affirmative action is a term for policies, either legally mandated or voluntarily negotiated, that require taking positive actions to eliminate discrimination. This includes discrimination by demographic characteristics such as ...
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
Affirmative Action opportunity and treatment for minorities. In one speech, President Johnson championed affirmative action by stating, “We seek not just freedom but opportunity—not just legal equity but human ability—not just equality as a ...
by Richard T. Schaefer
affirmative action and equal opportunity programs in employment in Michigan (as well as in education and business contracts). Proposal 2 was passed on November 7, 2006, by 58% of the voters and was set to go into effect on December 22, ...
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
Ruiz Affirmative action, which has also been known as ''equal opportunity,'' is a term used to describe a policy created to ensure that individuals who fall into a protected class have equal opportunity or access to a position or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affirmative action
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affirmative action
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Affirmative action
Click on an item to play that video:
- Affirmative Action meaning and pronunciation
The most ironic rule ever created. It was intended to remove racism, however instead just reversed it. Minorities have an automatic advantage in getting a job ...
- The Real Truth: Real Meaning of Affirmative Action
What Affirmative Action is and who it affects.
See also the pronunciation examples of Affirmative action!
Quotes about Affirmative action
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affirmative action to see it in context!