The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb afford:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb afford
What does afford mean as a doing word?
Afford is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: afforded | affording | affords
- be able to spare or give up
- be the cause or source of
- example: Our meeting afforded much interesting information
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of afford: give / yield
- more generic words: furnish / provide / render / supply = give something useful or necessary to
- more specific terms:
- have the financial means to do something or buy something
- examples: We can't afford to send our children to college | Can you afford this car?
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- afford access to
Alternative definition of the verb afford
- To incur, stand, or bear without serious detriment, as an act which might under other circumstances be injurious; -- with an auxiliary, as can, could, might, etc.; to be able or rich enough.
- To offer, provide, or supply, as in selling, granting, expending, with profit, or without loss or too great injury.
- To give forth; to supply, yield, or produce as the natural result, fruit, or issue.
- To give, grant, or confer, with a remoter reference to its being the natural result; to provide; to furnish.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for afford
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Social Physics (2014)
How Social Networks Can Make Us Smarter by Alex Pentland
had the earth been divided into equal portions among all its inhabitants, and thus without intending it, without knowing it, advance the interest of the society, and afford means to the multiplication of the species.' The power of markets to ...
by Hensleigh Wedgwood (M.A.)
To Afford. From signifying a market the term forum ...
A Corpus-based Analysis of the Complementation Patterns of English Verbs, Nouns, and Adjectives by Thomas Herbst
-> P2 P3 P4 P5 Afford can mean 'have the resources to do. be ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
AFFORD, v. The etymologies given of this word are unsatisfactory. It signifies to yield, produce, grant, give; also, to furnish for a certain price. So soon, as Maurmon there arriv'd, the door To him did open, and afforded way. Faerie Queene.
by William Andrew Publishing
A few drops of AcOH were added to decompose excess CH2N2, then the mixture was filtered and stripped to afford 12.6 g (96%) of methyl 4-(4-iodo-1- ...
To cover this briefly, "Symbol A shall denote a non-subscriber who can unquestionably afford service, should have it, and is considering it." Let us analyze this definition. To begin with, it is apparent that the "A" class cannot by any possible ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for afford
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about afford
Click on an item to view that photo:
Afford to Let Alone
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone." Walden, Henry David Thoreau
Photo credit: D()MENICK
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about afford
See also the pronunciation examples of afford!
Quotes about afford
It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer it. (Thomas Sowell)
more quotes about afford...
Scrabble value of A1F4F4O1R1D2
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of afford to see it in context!