The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun afternoon:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun afternoon
- Phrases with Afternoon
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afternoon
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afternoon
- Photos about Afternoon
- Video language resources about Afternoon
- Sign language
- Quotes about Afternoon
- Scrabble value of A1F4T1E1R1N1O1O1N1
- Share this page
The word afternoon is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun afternoon
What does afternoon mean as a name of something?
Afternoon is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: afternoons
- the part of the day between noon and evening
- a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of afternoon: good afternoon
- more generic terms: farewell / word of farewell = an acknowledgment or expression of goodwill at parting; greeting / salutation = an acknowledgment or expression of good will
Alternative definition of the noun afternoon
- The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening; the part of the day following noon which is daylight all year round; the second half of the working day (in regular office hours).
- synonym: arvo
- "Afternoon" is a 2007 film written and directed by Angela Schanelec.
- also known as Nachmittag
- country: Germany
- language: German Language
- producer: Angela Schanelec
- executive producer: Gian-Piero Ringel
- production design by Ingo von Heland
- art direction by Tom Bewermeier & Ingo von Heland
- written by Angela Schanelec
- based on a story by Anton Chekhov
- genre: Drama
- rating: G
- released on (7 years ago)
- read more about Afternoon (film)
- "Afternoon" is a 2005 short film written and directed by Kim Spurlock.
- country: United States of America
- languages: Vietnamese Language, English Language
- producer: Mai Spurlock
- production design by John Conners
- written by Kim Spurlock
- cinematography by Angela Cheng
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Afternoon" is a short film, directed by Anupam Barve.
- country: India
- "Afternoon" is a short film, directed by Mike Leigh.
- country: England
- released in (44 years ago)
Phrases with Afternoon
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afternoon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Two Guys from Verona (1999)
A Novel of Suburbia by James Kaplan
The afternoon is a wasteland, ...
by Gooseberry Patch
A brisk autumn afternoon is the best time to spend an entire day outside. Go on a nature walk, apple picking, hiking, craftmaking...make sure there's something for everyone to enjoy. Buttermilk Chicken Susan Lewis Lynn Haven, FL 1-1/2 c.
From Concept to Continuous Feedback by Sam Guckenheimer, Neno Loje
The afternoon is a discussion of how to build the chosen PBIs and with a goal of fleshing out the initial set of tasks in the iteration backlog. The last day has a sprint review and a sprint retrospective. These form a scheduled time to inspect and ...
by The National Gardening Association, Bob Beckstrom, Karan Davis Cutler, Kathleen Fisher, Phillip Giroux, Judy Glattstein, Michael MacCaskey, Bill Marken, Charlie Nardozzi, Sally Roth, Marcia Tatroe, Lance Walheim, Ann Whitman
Late afternoon is a good time because plants can recover from the shock of transplanting without sitting in the midday heat and sun. If you don't get an ideal transplanting day and the weather is hot and sunny, shade the plants until the sun ...
English-Cheyenne Dictionary (1915)
by Rodolphe Charles Petter
afternoon, zeegesitovos or zeesensitovos, after the middle of the day (ref. to past); mataesesi- tovos or mataesensi tovos , afternoon = when it shall tie after the middle of the day.
12 Afternoon 1 | Afternoon .. 2 Afternoon 2 3...
Techniques and Technology by John Fay
In the typical shuttle system, security department employees drive a passenger van between the parking lot and the facility during the early morning and late afternoon hours. When an employee needs to leave during the middle of a shift or is ...
by Robert W. Hamblin, Charles A. Peek
"AFTERNOON OF A COW" 9 Thus, just as Faulkner may "run...
by Richard A. Matzner
afternoon cloud (Mars) are the synoptic scale disturbances that are observed to form and propagate westward in the cyclonic shear zone to the south of this jet core. Occasionally African waves are progenitors of tropical storms and hurricanes ...
Koasati Dictionary (1994)
by Geoffrey D. Kimball
last Monday afternoon adv tahollinnihta:ka tanka:kon. last Monday night adv tahollinnihta:ka tamo:ka:kon.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afternoon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afternoon
Click on an item to view that photo:
Canon 5D Mark II + 70-200 F4
200mm - 1/640s - F4 - 200 ISO
Photo credit: bibendum84
Photo credit: andyarthur
Photo credit: bakesleepi
Photo credit: jmettraux
Photo credit: barbasia.
- Blue afternoon
A blue afternoon on Lake Michigan.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
The picture was taken with Pro mode.
Clicked from Samsung J7-6.
Photo credit: Mohit S92
- Bath afternoon
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
- Stormy Afternoon
Gold fields, poppies and bush lupine with a backdrop of storm clouds on Gillis Canyon Road, San Luis Obispo County, CA
Photo credit: puliarf
- A foggy afternoon
Photo credit: ThemisTsim
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Afternoon
Click on an item to play that video:
- Spelling Chant for Kids - (Kindergarten-Grade 1 vocabulary) Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Night
- Afternoon Meaning
Video shows what afternoon means. The part of the day which follows noon, between noon and evening; the part of the day following noon which is daylight all ...
- Torch of True Meaning - Day 2 Afternoon Session
Gyalwang Karmapa giving a 2 day teaching and leading the practice of Vajrasattva. The teaching is based on a text composed by Jamgon Kontrul Rinpoche, ...
- Biblical Book of Jonah-its meaning JewU 152 Yom Kippur afternoon haftorah
Biblical Book of Jonah-its meaning. Why is it read Yom Kippur afternoon.
- ASK Conference 2012 - Day 1 - Afternoon Session - Hajj Mustafa - The Meaning of Iqra
Academy of Self Knowledge - Annual Conference, March 2012. Speaker: Hajj Mustafa; Topic: The Meaning of 'Iqra'
- Afternoon an a Hill Explanation
- MR 06/11/14 Afternoon class - Popular Pizza Customer Type Variable Explanation
- 4 A Happy Afternoon; RHYMES IN THE DIALECT by J T Baron
- General English afternoon lesson: London Language Experience
These audio tours are part of the Intensive General English afternoon offer. Course participants will typically do a lesson at school to prepare for the tour, go on ...
- Burmese Language Lesson 14 (morning, afternoon, evening,night)
- QEGS LANGUAGE AFTERNOON||||
- ORIGINAL LANGUAGE - UPU World Strategy Conference - 13.04.2015 Afternoon Sessions
UPU World Strategy Conference, Geneva - 13.04.2015 Afternoon Sessions Floor, original language.
- ESL afternoon class 3052 1-11-13
See also the pronunciation examples of Afternoon!
Good afternoon - Indian sign language
Quotes about Afternoon
I came home every Friday afternoon, riding the six miles on the back of a big mule. I spent Saturday and Sunday washing and ironing and cooking for the children and went back to my country school on Sunday afternoon. (Ida B. Wells)
more quotes about afternoon...
Scrabble value of A1F4T1E1R1N1O1O1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afternoon to see it in context!