The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun afters:
On this page:
Definition of the noun afters
What does afters mean as a name of something?
- a dish served as the last course of a meal
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of afters: dessert / sweet
- more generic word: course = part of a meal served at one time
- more specific terms:
- ambrosia = fruit dessert made of oranges and bananas with shredded coconut
- baked Alaska = cake covered with ice cream and meringue browned quickly in an oven
- blancmange = sweet almond-flavored milk pudding thickened with gelatin or cornstarch
- charlotte = a mold lined with cake or crumbs and filled with fruit or whipped cream or custard
- fruit compote / compote = dessert of stewed or baked fruit
- dumpling = dessert made by baking fruit wrapped in pastry
- flan = open pastry filled with fruit or custard
- frozen dessert = any of various desserts prepared by freezing
- junket = dessert made of sweetened milk coagulated with rennet
- mousse = a rich, frothy, creamy dessert made with whipped egg whites and heavy cream
- pavlova = a dessert consisting of a meringue base or cup filled with fruit and whipped cream
- peach melba = ice cream and peaches with a liqueur
- whip = a dessert made of sugar and stiffly beaten egg whites or cream and usually flavored with fruit
- pudding = any of various soft sweet desserts thickened usually with flour and baked or boiled or steamed
- pudding / pud = the dessert course of a meal
- sillabub / syllabub = sweetened cream beaten with wine or liquor
- tiramisu = an Italian dessert consisting of layers of sponge cake soaked with coffee and brandy or liqueur layered with mascarpone cheese and topped with grated chocolate
- zabaglione / sabayon = light foamy custard-like dessert served hot or chilled
- mould / mold = a dish or dessert that is formed in or on a mold
Alternative definition of the noun afters
- [British, informal] dessert
- [context: informal] The festivities held after a wedding meal.
"Afters" is a 1980 compilation album released by Canterbury scene band Hatfield and the North. Of the sixteen tracks, eleven are taken from the band's two studio albums Hatfield and the North and The Rotters' Club, three are live recordings, and the two remaining songs are those from their 1974 single "Let's Eat / Fitter Stoke Has a Bath".
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afters
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Encyclopedia of Food and Culture by Timothy G. Roufs, Kathleen Smyth Roufs
(„Puddings‰ are the dessert courses of a meal; „pud‰ is used informally, as are „sweets,‰ „desserts,‰ and „afters.‰ These descriptive words suggest the extent of the British influence, where desserts are often referred to as „puddings,‰ ...
by hakem saleh
Abracadabra Act the maggot Acushla Afters Afro Agitate the gravel Ages Aisy Alan Whickers Alcopop All mouth and (no) trousers Alanna Alco All-nighter a Word say by conjurors when performing a magic trick Behave in a humorously ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
disdains, dislikes Despite anything to the contrary—all the same Despondency —sadness, wretchedness, gloom Despondent from loss of love—heartsore Despot—tyrant Despotism—tyranny Dessert—afters, crumble, pudding, sweet, cake, ...
by Cambridge University Press
by Sir Thomas Edward Thorpe
sulphonic acid afterS.
The Gardeners Dictionary (1735)
Containing the Methods of Cultivating and Improving the Kitchen, Fruit and Flower Garden, as Also the Physick Garden, Wilderness, Conservatory, and Vineyard by Philip Miller
The Char afters are ,□ It hath a papilionaceous Flower, out of whose Empalement rises the Pointal, which afterwards becomes a long Pod, inclosing several Seeds, which are shaped almost like a, Kidney : To which must be added , That it hath ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afters
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about Afters
Click on an item to play that video:
- British English Slang "Sweet, Afters & Pudding" - BR009
What's your favourite dessert? British English Slang What people in British homes say to refer to dessert. Study English at New College Manchester ...
- Afters Meaning
Video shows what afters means. dessert. The festivities held after a wedding meal.. fighting or arguing off the ball or when play has stopped. Afters Meaning.
View more videos about The Afters.
See also the pronunciation examples of Afters!
Scrabble value of A1F4T1E1R1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFTERS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Afters!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afters to see it in context!