The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb aggrandize:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb aggrandize
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aggrandize
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aggrandize
- Photos about aggrandize
- Video language resources about aggrandize
- Quotes about aggrandize
- Scrabble value of A1G2G2R1A1N1D2I1Z10E1
- Share this page
Aggrandize (to make larger or greater) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the verb aggrandize
What does aggrandize mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: aggrandized | aggrandizing | aggrandizes
- add details to
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- alternative spelling: aggrandise
- synonyms of aggrandize: blow up / dramatise / dramatize / embellish / embroider / lard / pad
- more generic words: amplify / exaggerate / hyperbolise / hyperbolize / magnify / overdraw / overstate = to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth
- more specific word: glorify = cause to seem more splendid
Alternative definition of the verb aggrandize
- [transitive] To make great; to enlarge; to increase; as,
- [transitive] To make great or greater in power, rank, honor, or wealth; applied to persons, countries, etc.
- [transitive] To make appear great or greater; to exalt.
- [intransitive] To increase or become great.
Definition of the verb aggrandize for high school students
- to increase or make greater
- example: Joseph always dropped the names of the famous people his father knew as a way to aggrandize his personal stature.
The verb aggrandize is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aggrandize
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by The Editors of REA
AGGRANDIZE means to make (appear) greater; AUGMENT means to add to. ABATEMENT and EXTENUATION both mean a forgiveness. ADJUNCT and DETRUNCATE (C) are antonyms. INCREMENT and DIMINUTION (D) are antonyms.
by Samuel Fallows
KEY: Ennoble SYN: Exalt, dignify, elevate, ameliorate, aggrandize. ANT: Debase, degrade, deprave, deteriorate, depress. KEY: Enormity SYN: Atrocity, perpetration, abomination, sin. ANT: Innocence, guiltlessness, clean_hands, ...
udarbeidet efter de bedste og nyeste ordbøger by Christian Friderich Bay
Ciltage, to increase, augment, *hrive, multiply, amplify, aggrandize.
by Martin Manser
heighten, swell, intensify, advance, increase, augment, aggrandize ant. undervalue, depreciate, disparage, detract, underestimate enigmatic adj. puzzling, perplexing, obscure, hidden, ...
English-Pali Dictionary (1989)
by Ambalaṅgoḍa Polvattē Buddhadatta
Aggrandize Ahead Aggrandize, v.l. pavaddheti ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
righteous, trustworthy, untouchable increase: accelerate, accrue, accumulate, add, addition, advantage, aggrandize, aggravate, amplify, appreciate, augment, boost, broaden, build, compound, development, dilate, double, enhance, enlarge , ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
*fallacy, sophistry exalt, magnify, aggrandize...
in greatness or mightiness; it implies efforts, usually selfish efforts, directed to the attainment of power, authority, or worldly eminence (if we aggrandize ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aggrandize
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about aggrandize
Click on an item to view that photo:
Liberty for who?
Photo credit: mayeesherr.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about aggrandize
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about aggrandize
Scrabble value of A1G2G2R1A1N1D2I1Z10E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 22 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of aggrandize to see it in context!