On this page:
- Definition of the noun agriculture
- Phrases with Agriculture
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agriculture
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agriculture
- Photos about Agriculture
- Video language resources about Agriculture
- Quotes about Agriculture
- Scrabble value of A1G2R1I1C3U1L1T1U1R1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agriculture
What does agriculture mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- agriculture: agricultures
- Agriculture: -
- a large-scale farming enterprise
- the practice of cultivating the land or raising stock
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of agriculture: farming / husbandry
- more generic word: cultivation = production of food by preparing the land to grow crops
- more specific terms:
- animal husbandry = breeding and caring for farm animals
- arboriculture / tree farming = the tending of and caring for trees
- dairy farming / dairying = the business of a dairy
- horticulture / gardening = the cultivation of plants
- tank farming / aquiculture / hydroponics = a technique of growing plants (without soil) in water containing dissolved nutrients
- mixed farming = growing crops and feed and livestock all on the same farm
- planting = putting seeds or young plants in the ground to grow
- ranching = farming for the raising of livestock
- strip cropping = cultivation of crops in strips following the contours of the land to minimize erosion
- subsistence farming = farming that provides for the basic needs of the farmer without surpluses for marketing
- truck farming = growing vegetables for the market
- the federal department that administers programs that provide services to farmers (including research and soil conservation and efforts to stabilize the farming economy); created in 1862
- the class of people engaged in growing food
Alternative definition of the noun agriculture
- The art or science of cultivating the ground, including the harvesting of crops, and the rearing and management of livestock; tillage; husbandry; farming.
Definition of the noun agriculture for high school students
- example: It was a huge step in the progress of civilization when tribes left hunting and gathering and began to develop more sustainable methods of obtaining food, such as agriculture.
The noun agriculture is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
- "Agriculture" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by John Cobbett
- "Agriculture" is a musical album of Wentus Blues Band.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Agriculture" is a book by Keith Murray, Baron Murray of Newhaven.
- subjects: Great Britain, World War II
- "Agriculture" is a book by Alexander Smith.
- also known as "Agriculture: a poem in sixteen books"
- "Agriculture" is a book by Robert M. La Follette Sr..
- Agriculture is the cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel, medicinals and other products used to sustain and enhance human life. Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that nurtured the development of civilization. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science. The history of agriculture dates back thousands of years, and its development has been driven and defined by greatly different climates, cultures, and technologies. However, all farming generally relies on techniques to expand and maintain the lands that are suitable for raising domesticated species. For plants, this usually requires some form of irrigation, although there are methods of dryland farming. Livestock are raised in a combination of grassland-based and landless systems, in an industry that covers almost one-third of the world's ice- and water-free area.
- also known as farming, husbandry
- Agriculture is an important theme in Chinese mythology. There are many myths about the invention of agriculture that have been told or written about in China. Chinese mythology refers to those myths found in the historical geographic area of China. This includes myths in Chinese and other languages, as transmitted by Han Chinese as well as other ethnic groups. Many of the myths about agriculture involve its invention by such deities or culture heroes such as Shennong, Houji, Hou Tu, and Shujun: of these Shennong is the most famous, according to Lihui Yang. There are also many other myths. Myths related to agriculture include how humans learned the use of fire, cooking, animal husbandry and the use of draft animals, inventions of various agricultural tools and implements, the domestication of various species of plants such as ginger and radishes, the evaluation and uses of various types of soil, irrigation by digging wells, and the invention of farmers markets. Other myths include events which made agriculture possible by destroying an excessive number of suns in the sky or ending the Great Flood.
- also known as Agriculture in Chinese mythology
- Agriculture is an exhibition.
Phrases with Agriculture
Phrases starting with the word Agriculture:
Phrases ending with the word Agriculture:
Other phrases containing the word Agriculture:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agriculture
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Agricultural liberalization in multilateral and regional trade negotiations (Working Paper SITI = Documento de Trabajo IECI n. 3) (2003)
by Ian Fuchsloch, Géraldine Kutas
Contents AGRICULTURAL LIBERALIZATION IN MULTILATERAL AND REGIONAL TRADE NEGOTIATIONS Marcos Sawaya Jank * Ian Fuchsloch ** Géraldine Kutas ** Agriculture is a strategic issue for the Western Hemispheric countries for ...
by Vinod Chandra Srivastava
and agriculture is the prime source of food of all living...
The history of Indian agriculture is a very complex, complicated and controversial discipline with a plethora of ...
Before Dinner (2008)
Philosophy and Ethics of Food by M. Korthals
Agriculture is a long-term investment; you need to allow long stretches of time to pass you by. While a fisherman or hunter must move around quickly, agriculture means being bound to a specific place, being tied to the land. After you have ...
Public Finance (2008)
by S.N. Chand
INTRODUCTION Agriculture is that largest and most important sector of the Indian economy.
Agriculture is a large sector of the economic activity and has a crucial role to play in the country's economic...
Agriculture is the backbone of India's economy; it provides food (more than fifty per cent of income is spent on food by ...
Strategic Analyses of the National River Linking Project (NRLP) of India: Water productivity improvements in Indian agriculture : poentials, constraints, and prospects (2008)
by International Water Management Institute, Challenge Program on Water and Food
Agriculture is the major consumer of water among various sectors. Growing demands of water...
Agriculture is a major positive component in the United States economy. The net value...
by Philip L. Martin
MARTIN Introduction Agriculture is the oldest and most widely dispersed industry in the United States. However, the farmers and farm workers who produce food and fiber are largely invisible to most Americans: About 2 percent of the ...
Fundamental Concepts and Issues by Mitchell L. Springer
Agrarian Economy — Agriculture is the systematic raising of useful plants through human oversight and intervention.
The crucial innovation that separates wild- plant gathering from true agriculture is the deliberate planting of seeds and other plant material. Cultivation, harvesting...
The fundamental difference between this and true agriculture is that the grass was not planted, but seeded itself. The first ...
Clearly, sustainable agriculture is an issue of major proportions: in its inherent substantive content; its longevity as a...
Dictionary of Agriculture (2006)
by Heather Bateman
agrochemicals Britain's countryside in the 18th and 19th centuries AgriculturalStabilizationandConservation Service Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service noun formerly, a service of the federal Department of Agriculture which ...
Encyclopaedia of Environmental Pollution, Agriculture and Health Hazards: Agriculture and food (2004)
by A. K. Shrivastava
1 230 Agriculture and Food.
Valuing pollination services to agriculture. Ecological Economics 71, 80–88. Winfree, R., Williams, N.M., Gaines, H., Ascher, J.S., Kremen, C., 2008. Wild bee pollinators provide the majority of crop visitation across land-use gradients in New ...
Volume 11: Agriculture and Industry by Melissa Walker, James C. Cobb
Sustainable agriculture is much more than a simple collection of practices. Its application is site specific; there is no set formula of practices or procedures that constitute a sustainable-agriculture system for all locations. Some of the practices or ...
An Encyclopaedia of Agriculture ... Including ... Supplements Bringing Down the Work to the Year 1844 (1835)
by John Claudius Loudon
Agriculture, the art to which we here confine ourselves, as compared to gardening, is the culture and management of certain plants and animals for the food and service of man; but, relatively to the present improved state of the art, it may be ...
by Leslie A. Duram
Sustainable Agriculture Network, 2000. See Also: Agriculture, Organic; Agriculture, Sustainable; Integrated Pest Management; Soil ...
by Jagdish Prasad (ed. By)
AGRICULTURE. THROUGH. LIBERALISATION: An. Assessment. of. Implications. K. K. Barman Five years back in 1991, when the Indian economy was facing manifold crisis the Government of India initiated some structural reform measures in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agriculture
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agriculture
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: StateofIsrael
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Agriculture
Click on an item to play that video:
- English for Agriculture video 1 VOCABULARY.
Ejercicios para este video en...
- History Illustrated: Definition: Agriculture
A quick explanation of the meaning of the word Agriculture as it pertains to 8th grade US History.
- Agriculture Meaning
Video shows what agriculture means. The art or science of cultivating the ground, including the harvesting of crops, and the rearing and management of ...
- Tim Sheldon exempt from building permits lacks definition for agriculture
- KOLD CBS President Obama Adds 'Algaculture' to Definition of Agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = agriculture trade relationship
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = agriculture industry relationship
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = For use in agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = economic accounts for agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = cooperation on agriculture
- Explanation the process on behalf of the Department of Agriculture to farmers Interview
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Mediterranean agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = tropical agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = irrigated agriculture
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = aid to agriculture
- Conservation agriculture field day in Karauzak, Karakalpakstan (in Karakalpak language)
On 30 June, 2015 ICARDA project on conservation agriculture held a field in Karauzak district of Karakalpakstan promoting No-till technology in the region.
- Dictionary: Agriculture
Meaning of the word Agruculture and examples of use.
- Agriculture Food and Natural Resources Job Description
Agriculture Food and Natural Resources Job Description.
- Agriculture museum in Baby Garden Language school
See also the pronunciation examples of Agriculture!
Quotes about Agriculture
As the first Member of Congress from western Washington to serve on the House Agriculture Committee in over 50 years, I am proud to represent the needs of our agriculture community. (Rick Larsen)
more quotes about agriculture...
Scrabble value of A1G2R1I1C3U1L1T1U1R1E1
The value of this 11-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agriculture to see it in context!