On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun air current
What does air current mean as a name of something?
- air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure
- example: the radioactivity was being swept upwards by the air current and out into the atmosphere
- lexical domain: Natural Phenomena - nouns denoting natural phenomena
- synonyms of air current: current of air / wind
- more generic terms: atmospheric condition / conditions / weather / weather condition = the atmospheric conditions that comprise the state of the atmosphere in terms of temperature and wind and clouds and precipitation
- more specific terms:
- airstream = a relatively well-defined prevailing wind
- calm air / calm = wind moving at less than 1 knot
- gentle wind / breeze / zephyr / air = a slight wind
- chinook wind / snow eater / chinook = a warm dry wind blowing down the eastern slopes of the Rockies
- harmattan = a dusty wind from the Sahara that blows toward the western coast of Africa during the winter
- crosswind = wind blowing across the path of a ship or aircraft
- foehn / fohn = a warm dry wind that blows down the northern slopes of the Alps
- khamsin = an oppressively hot southerly wind from the Sahara that blows across Egypt in the spring
- Santa Ana = a strong hot dry wind that blows in winter from the deserts of southern California toward the Pacific Coast
- high wind = a very strong wind
- headwind = wind blowing opposite to the path of a ship or aircraft
- catabatic wind / katabatic wind = a wind caused by the downward motion of cold air
- tailwind = wind blowing in the same direction as the path of a ship or aircraft
- doldrums = a belt of calms and light winds between the northern and southern trade winds of the Atlantic and Pacific
- languor = oppressively still air
- east wind / easterly / easter = a wind from the east
- northwest wind / northwester = a wind from the northwest
- southwester / sou'wester = a strong wind from the southwest
- southeaster / sou'easter = a strong wind from the southeast
- gale = a strong wind moving 45-90 knots
- blast / blow / gust = a strong current of air
- monsoon = a seasonal wind in southern Asia
- monsoon = any wind that changes direction with the seasons
- north wind / northerly / norther / boreas = a wind that blows from the north
- prevailing wind = the predominant wind direction
- samiel / simoom / simoon = a violent hot sand-laden wind on the deserts of Arabia and North Africa
- south wind / southerly / souther = a wind from the south
- squall = sudden violent winds
- thermal = rising current of warm air
- draught / draft = a current of air
- west wind / wester = wind that blows from west to east
- substance: air = a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing
Air current: Air currents can be caused by differences in temperature, pressure, or impurity concentration. Temperature differences can cause air currents because warmer air is less dense than cooler air, causing the warmer air to appear "lighter." Thus, if the warm air is under the cool air, air currents will form as they exchange places.
- also known as Current
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Air current
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David Crolla
difference detecting bridge 5 0 Reverse air current Output Vout (V) V out Detection characteristics ...
aire т refrigeración del aire f refroidissement т d'air raffreddamento т dell'aria идите luchtkoeling f chlodzenie n powietrza воздушное охлаждение п ilmajäähdytys luftkylning с air current luftstrßm Luftstrom т corriente de aire f écoulement т ...
device for cooling the air current; S9T 03 wiitwfl mn«n airline air'craft, n. (q3)<,*m<) - (pi. aircraft) - aeroplane, airship; ...
by Sunggyu Lee
Compressed air Current Status. The compressed air systems are in the process of a major change out. General piping layout was discussed with plant personnel. Basic concepts in Table 7 Potential energy savings identified by assessment ...
by F. J. Monkhouse
is usually accompanied by an ascending air current. C. may be produced either by STREAMLINBS approaching each other (streamline 0 .) ...
An air current that is changed in direction by a sail, cliff, bluff, and so on. eductor n. A pump used for removing water from flooded spaces. Water is pumped past a constriction at a place where another ...
The Encyclopedia of Seeds (2006)
Science, Technology and Uses by J. Derek Bewley, Michael Black, Peter Halmer
Seed passing over the fourth close-grading, or sifting, screen drops through an upwardly-moving air current which lifts away remaining light ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Air current
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Air current
If you need images about Air current for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Air current to see it in context!