On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun air mass
What does air mass mean as a name of something?
- a large body of air with uniform characteristics horizontally
Alternative definition of the noun air mass
- a widespread body of air, the properties of which can be identified as
- having been established while that air was situated over a particular region of the earth's surface (airmass source region) and
- undergoing specific modifications while in transit away from the source region. An air mass is often defined as a widespread body of air that is approximately homogeneous in its horizontal extent, particularly with reference to temperature and moisture distribution; in addition, the vertical temperature and moisture variations are approximately the same over its horizontal extent.
- Air mass: In meteorology, an air mass is a volume of air defined by its temperature and water vapor content. Air masses cover many hundreds or thousands of square miles, and adopt the characteristics of the surface below them. They are classified according to latitude and their continental or maritime source regions. Colder air masses are termed polar or arctic, while warmer air masses are deemed tropical. Continental and superior air masses are dry while maritime and monsoon air masses are moist. Weather fronts separate air masses with different density characteristics. Once an air mass moves away from its source region, underlying vegetation and water bodies can quickly modify its character. Classification schemes tackle an air mass' characteristics, and well as modification.
- also known as 气团
- Air mass: In astronomy, air mass is the optical path length through Earth’s atmosphere for light from a celestial source. As it passes through the atmosphere, light is attenuated by scattering and absorption; the more atmosphere through which it passes, the greater the attenuation. Consequently, celestial bodies at the horizon appear less bright than when at the zenith. The attenuation, known as atmospheric extinction, is described quantitatively by the Beer–Lambert–Bouguer law.
- also known as Airmass
- The air mass coefficient defines the direct optical path length through the Earth's atmosphere, expressed as a ratio relative to the path length vertically upwards, i.e. at the zenith. The air mass coefficient can be used to help characterize the solar spectrum after solar radiation has traveled through the atmosphere. The air mass coefficient is commonly used to characterize the performance of solar cells under standardized conditions, and is often referred to using the syntax "AM" followed by a number. "AM1.5" is almost universal when characterizing terrestrial power-generating panels.
- also known as Air mass coefficient
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Air mass
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Shatrughna Prasad Sinha
An air mass is an extensive portion of the atmosphere whose temperature and humidity properties are relatively homogeneous in the horizontal direction. Such a mass of air develops when the atmosphere remains at rest over an extensive ...
Three Volume Set by John A Matthews
NP/JBE air mass An extensive body of air with nearuniform horizontal characteristics of TEMPERATURE, HUMIDITY and LAPSE RATE over a large area (generally 102–103 km2). Air masses develop over homogeneous source regions over ...
by Reuel R. Hanks
is the coldest air mass on Earth. In fact, it is much colder than the Arctic air of the Northern Hemisphere. It is generated on the Antarctic continent, which is covered by ice sheets having surfaces frequently in excess of two ...
by Diagram Group
air mass A fairly uniform mass of air covering a large area and containing air of, for example, polar or tropical origin. Antarctic Circle A line of latitude approximately 66.5° south of the equator; ...
Cold, moist air mass difficult calculations involved and draw charts of the weather to come. forecasters use the charts to predict the weather for the next fewdays, producing weather reports for ground. television, newspapers, shipping, and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Air mass
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Air mass
Click on an item to view that photo:
Air Mass Boundary
Photo credit: Paul Garland
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Air mass
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Air mass!
Quotes about Air mass
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'air mass"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Anagrams of AIR MASS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Air mass!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Air mass to see it in context!