On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun airfoil
What does airfoil mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: airfoils
- a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of airfoil: aerofoil / control surface / surface
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- aileron = an airfoil that controls lateral motion
- elevator = the airfoil on the tailplane of an aircraft that makes it ascend or descend
- flaps / flap = a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing
- horizontal stabiliser / horizontal stabilizer / tailplane = the horizontal airfoil of an aircraft's tail assembly that is fixed and to which the elevator is hinged
- rotary wing / rotor blade = the long airfoil that rotates to provide the lift that supports a helicopter in the air
- rudder = a hinged vertical airfoil mounted at the tail of an aircraft and used to make horizontal course changes
- spoiler = a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag
- spoiler = an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds
- stabilizer = airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft
- vertical tail = the vertical airfoil in the tail assembly of an aircraft
- wing = one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
Alternative definition of the noun airfoil
- A structure shaped to produce lift when moving in air.
- synonym: foil
- A wing of an aircraft.
- synonym: wing
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airfoil
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Simple Guide to Designing R/C Model Aircraft Or Build Your Own Radio Control Flying Model Plane by Carlos Reyes
e KFm airfoil is the best li producer of the bun . It is a good oice when the model is heavy. e KFm airfoil is an obviously good oice for an aerobaticmodel. Itisthe fastestof the four withvery fastsnap rollswhile still providing lots of ...
3, the best airfoil is the NACA 0001, similarly in Figure III.4 it is the NACA 2401. It can also be observed that the best performing airfoils are the one with the smallest thickness and should be the one used. To use ...
by Maurice Holt
behind an oscillating airfoil is a free surface), the time appears only as a parameter. The kinematics of such an unsteady motion can therefore be treated as a quasi-steady flow. Only when the pressure is calculated [from Bernoulli's equation ...
by Merle C. Potter, David C. Wiggert, Bassem H. Ramadan
An airfoil is a streamlined body designed to reduce the adverse pressure gradient so that separation will not occur, usually with a small angle of attack, as shown in Fig. 8.12. Without separation the drag is due primarily to the wall shear stress, ...
Unmanned Aviation Systems (2015)
The Definitive Guide by Michael Leasure, Michael S. Nolan
An airfoil is any surface designed to convert forward motion through the air into a force that operates in a certain direction. Any part of the aircraft that converts airflow resistance into a force (pressure) is an airfoil. A conventional wing is an ...
by Ben Senson, Jasen Ritter
An airfoil is a shape designed to transform motion through a fluid into a force. the ratio between the average chord of the wing and. Point Editorial review has deemed that any suppressed content does not materially affect the overall learning ...
by Tapan K. Sengupta
Since AG24 airfoil is a low-cambered airfoil, it can directly be inferred that the corresponding values of Cl are also higher for these α's. In a similar way, it can be noted that there is a greater negative Cl for higher negative values of α.
Aircraft propeller design (1930)
by Fred Ernest Weick
An airfoil is a body so shaped that the cross-force, called the ...
Commercial Opportunities In Space by F. Shahrokhi
The airfoil is a 10% double-wedge design with a 1-in (2.5 - cm) radius leading edge.
by Mel Schwartz
Directional Solidification A technique adaptable to investment casting is that of directional solidification, which is particularly suitable to the complex shapes of airfoil parts used in gas turbines. It has been found that by commencing the freezing ...
Encyclopedia of Optimization (2008)
by Christodoulos A. Floudas, Panos M. Pardalos
Design Optimization in Computational Fluid Dynamics, Figure 8 Optimized surface pressure distribution transonic airfoil. The design objective was to maximize the lift coeflicient CL at Mach 0.75 ...
Dictionary of Physics (2014)
by Michael Chapple
Pressure gage Fast air Lift indicating air speed (_ Airfoil Low pressure Slow air High pressure Air flow The pressure gage in the first diagram records the higher pressure in the duct compared with the pipe; the air is moving faster within the pipe ...
by Jay H. Lehr, Jack Keeley
For example, experimental data of droplet flow impingement on a wind turbine airfoil was shown to collapse consistently onto a single normalized correlation of Nu/Pr1/3 at varying Prandtl numbers . Furthermore, the functional form of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airfoil
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Airfoil
Click on an item to view that photo:
and underwing load
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
Photo credit: mindfrieze
- Evolution of the Airfoil
The historical evolution of airfoil sections, 1908-1944. The last two shapes are low-drag sections designed to have laminar flow over 60 to 70 percent of chord on both the upper and lower surface.
Image # : L-1990-04334
- A Printable Clark Y Airfoil
Whipped up a piece of Clark Y airfoil in Blender, in a configuration that should be printable without supports.
Some assembly required :-)
Photo credit: syvwlch
- TIDAL and AirFoil
Lossless Audio Streaming throughout the house :)
Photo credit: p_c_w
- Boeing X-32 airfoil wing
photo by Ken M.
Photo credit: MultiplyLeadership
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Airfoil
Video shows what airfoil means. A structure shaped to produce lift when moving in air.. A wing of an aircraft.. airfoil synonyms: foil, wing. airfoil pronunciation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Airfoil!
Scrabble value of A1I1R1F4O1I1L1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Airfoil to see it in context!