The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun airport:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun airport
- Phrases with Airport
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airport
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airport
- Photos about Airport
- Videos about Airport
- Quotes about Airport
- Scrabble value of A1I1R1P3O1R1T1
- Anagrams of AIRPORT
- Share this page
The word airport is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun airport
What does airport mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: airports
- an airfield equipped with control tower and hangars as well as accommodations for passengers and cargo
- examples: You needn't have hurried to the airport. | I went to the airport to meet my father. | I'll drive you to the airport. | I arranged for a car to meet you at the airport. | I'll accompany you to the airport. | Let's stay somewhere with easy airport access. | Please tell me how to get to the airport. | I went to the airport by taxi. | You should allow an hour to go to the airport. | I could have met you at the airport.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of airport: aerodrome / airdrome / drome
- more generic terms: airfield / field / flying field / landing field = a place where planes take off and land
- more specific word: heliport = an airport for helicopters
- instance: Kennedy International Airport / Kennedy International / Kennedy = a large airport on Long Island to the east of New York City
- repair shed / airdock / hangar = a large structure at an airport where aircraft can be stored and maintained
- airport terminal / air terminal = a terminal that serves air travelers or air freight
- control tower = a tower with an elevated workspace enclosed in glass for the visual observation of aircraft around an airport
Alternative definition of the noun airport
- An airfield (a place where airplanes can take off and land), including one or more runways and one or more passenger terminals.
- "Airport" is a 1970 American drama film starring Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin, directed and written by George Seaton, and based on Arthur Hailey's 1968 novel of the same name. The film, which earned nearly $100 million, focuses on an airport manager trying to keep his airport open during a snow storm, while a suicidal bomber plots to blow up a Boeing 707 airliner in flight. The story takes place at fictional Lincoln International Airport located near Chicago, Illinois. The picture was produced by Ross Hunter with a $10 million budget. Ernest Laszlo photographed it in 70 mm Todd-AO.
- also known as 国际机场
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Italian Language
- directors: George Seaton & Henry Hathaway
- producer: Ross Hunter
- art direction by Alexander Golitzen & E. Preston Ames
- written by George Seaton
- based on "Airport" by Arthur Hailey
- Dean Martin as Vernon Demerest
- Burt Lancaster as Mel Bakersfeld
- Jean Seberg as Tanya Livingston
- Jacqueline Bisset as Gwen Meighen
- George Kennedy as Capt. Joe Patroni
- Helen Hayes as Ada Quonsett
- Van Heflin as D.O. Guerrero
- Barbara Hale as Sarah Demerest
- Barry Nelson as Anson Harris
- Dana Wynter as Cindy Bakersfeld
- Gary Collins as Cy Jordan
- Maureen Stapleton as Inez Guerrero
- Lloyd Nolan as Harry Standish
- John Findlater as Peter Coakley
- Jessie Royce Landis as Mrs. Harriet DuBarry Mossman
- Larry Gates as Commissioner Ackerman
- Peter Turgeon as Marcus Rathbone
- Whit Bissell as Mr. Davidson
- Virginia Grey as Mrs. Schultz
- Eileen Wesson as Judy Barton
- Paul Picerni as Dr. Compagno
- Robert Patten as Capt. Benson
- Clark Howat as Bert Weatherby
- Lew Brown as Reynolds
- Ilana Dowding as Robbie Bakersfeld
- Lisa Gerritsen as Libby Bakersfeld
- James Nolan as Father Steven Lonigan
- Patty Poulsen as Joan
- Ena Hartman as Ruth
- Malila Saint Duval as Maria
- Sharon Harvey as Sally
- Albert Reed, Jr. as Lt. Ned Ordway
- Jodean Lawrence as Marie Patroni
- Nancy Ann Nelson as Bunnie
- Dick Winslow as Mr. Schultz
- Lou Wagner as Schuyler Schultz
- Janis Hansen as Sister Katherine Grace
- Mary Jackson as Sister Felice
- Shelly Novack as Rollings
- Chuck Daniel as Parks
- Charles Brewer as Diller
- Fletcher Allen as Dispatcher
- Leon Alton as Man on Dias
- Leon Alton as Man at Club
- Merry Anders as Mrs. Burt Ball
- Ricky Anderson as William Downey
- Ray Andrade as Pietro Carmona
- Maria Andre as Mrs. Portola
- Nadine Arlyn as Jennifer Barry
- Ray Ballard as Gilbert Price
- cinematography by Ernest Laszlo
- edited by Stuart Gilmore
- music by Alfred Newman
- costume design by Edith Head
- set decoration by Jack D. Moore & Mickey S. Michaels
- location: Chicago
- genres: Thriller, Drama
- subject: Aviation
- rating: G (USA)
- released on (44 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Role: Inez Guerrero) nomination for Maureen Stapleton
- Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Role: Ada Quonsett) nomination for Helen Hayes
- Academy Award for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nomination for George Seaton
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture (role: Joe Patroni) nomination for George Kennedy
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture (role: Inez Guerrero) nomination for Maureen Stapleton
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Ross Hunter
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for E. Preston Ames, Jack D. Moore, Mickey S. Michaels & Alexander Golitzen
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Edith Head
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score nomination for Alfred Newman
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Ross Hunter
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Ernest Laszlo
- Academy Award for Best Film Editing nomination for Stuart Gilmore
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for Alfred Newman
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing nomination for David H. Moriarty & Ronald Pierce
- Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Role: Ada Quonsett), received by Helen Hayes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture (Role: Rayette Dipesto, Role: Inez Guerrero), received by Karen Black & Maureen Stapleton
- "Airport" is a 2009 Bollywood film directed by Anubhav Sinha and produced by Anubhav Sinha and Anupam Sinha. It will star Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol, Sunil Shetty and Arjun Rampal.
- "Airport" is a 1993 Tamil action film directed by Joshi. It features Sathyaraj in the main lead along with Gauthami pairing with him. It is a different type of movie with no songs. It received positive review from the critics. Malayalam actor M. G. Soman played the main villain.
- country: India
- language: Tamil Language
- director: Joshiy
- producer: G. Padmavathi
- written by S.N. Swamy
- cinematography by Jayanan Vincent
- edited by K. K. Balan
- music by S. P. Venkatesh
- genres: Action Film, Bollywood, Tamil cinema, World cinema
- released on (21 years ago)
"Airport" is a bestselling 1968 novel by Arthur Hailey about a large metropolitan airport and the personalities of the people who use, rely and suffer from its operation. This book was adapted into a major motion picture starring Burt Lancaster, George Kennedy, Dean Martin and Van Heflin, among others and inspired three sequels: Airport 1975, Airport '77 and The Concorde ... Airport '79.
- also known as "Airport (55303982150, T3982S150ABB)"; "Airport (Longman Fiction)"; "Airport (Simple English)"
- genres: Fiction, Mystery, Suspense
- subject: Linguistics
- released in (47 years ago)
- "Airport" is a composition.
- music by Andy McMaster
- "Airport" is a musical album of Alfred Newman, soundtrack.
- also known as Airport Soundtrack
- released in (45 years ago)
- "Airport" is Joey Yung's second EP in 2010. The title track 空港 is the theme song for "Nokia Joey Yung Concert Number 6". The song is the EP's third single. Her first single "綠野仙蹤" is the commercial theme song for Broadway Electronics. The music video for the second single "破相" is the first ever 3D Music Video in Hong Kong.
- "Airport" is a musical single of Armani & Ghost.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Airport" is a musical single of Photographer.
- released on
- "Airport" is a musical album of Miss Claudia & Pornorama.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Airport" is a musical single of Miss Groove.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Airport" is a 2007 album by Andranik Madadian.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Airport" is a musical single of DJ Ariel Style.
- released on
- "Airport" is a musical EP of Like Honey.
- released on (9 years ago)
Airport is an Ukrainian musical group.
- album: "Come Back"
- Airport a.k.a. Aeroport railway station: Aeroport is a Rodalies de Catalunya commuter railway station serving Barcelona–El Prat Airport in Catalonia, Spain. It is located in the municipality of El Prat de Llobregat, and is the terminus of Barcelona commuter rail line R2 Nord.
- part of Spain
- Airport Station is a rapid transit station on the MBTA Blue Line, located under the interchange between Interstate 90 and Massachusetts Route 1A in East Boston, Massachusetts. It acts as one of two mass transit connections to the nearby Logan International Airport, as well as serving local residents in East Boston. At Airport Station, trains switch from the third rail power used in the East Boston Tunnel to overhead wires used on the surface line to Revere. The original brick station built in 1952 was replaced by a modern station with steel and glass canopies in 2004.
- Airport is an elevated rail station and southern terminus on the Red and Gold lines of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority rail system. It is served by the Gold Line at all times. It has an island platform between two tracks. This station is the southern terminus of the North-South Line. It was opened on June 18, 1988. The station was built during the construction of the airport terminal, which opened on September 21, 1980, but it was not connected to the rest of the system until the line reached the station in 1988. The mezzanine on the lower level has the faregates and is inside the airport terminal.
- Airport is a light rail station located at the Salt Lake City International Airport in Salt Lake City, Utah serviced by the Green Line of the Utah Transit Authority's TRAX system. The Green Line has service to West Valley City via Downtown Salt Lake City, and connects with the rest of the TRAX system, as well as UTA's FrontRunner commuter rail and S Line streetcar.
- also known as Airport (UTA station)
- Airport is a Roanoke, Virginia neighborhood located in north, central Roanoke surrounded roughly by Virginia State Route 118 to the south and by Interstate 581 to the west, centered on the Roanoke Regional Airport. It borders the neighborhoods of Miller Court/Arrowood on the west, Roundhill on the south and Roanoke County on the north and east.
- also known as Airport, Roanoke, Virginia
- neighborhood of Roanoke
- Airport is a neighborhood of Riverside, Inland Empire.
- Airport is an OC Transpo bus stop in Ottawa that serves the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. It is located in the south end of Ottawa.
- also known as Airport Station, Ottawa
- part of Ottawa
There are other places with in their name, like Lydd Airport, Airport Drive, Kaunas Airport, Sedona Airport, Airport Village, Central Airport, Gatwick Airport, Madeira Airport, Airport Speedway, Domestic airport, Essendon Airport, Iwo Jima Airport, Kamloops Airport, Tunoshna Airport, Van Nuys Airport, Dunnville Airport, Edinburgh Airport, Copenhagen Airport, Paris Orly Airport and Rio Turbio Airport.
- AirPort is the name given to a series of products by Apple Inc. using the protocols. These products comprise a number of wireless routers and wireless cards. The AirPort Extreme name was originally intended to signify the addition of the 802.11g protocol to these products.
- official website: www.apple.com/wifi
- Airport is a British documentary television series based at London Heathrow Airport, the world's busiest international airport, broadcast by the BBC and syndicated to Dave, part of the UKTV network.
- begun on and completed on (6 years ago)
- country: United Kingdom
- regular cast:
- genres: Reality television, Documentary film
- some of the awards:
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Editing - Factual nomination for Mike Flynn, Edward Bazalgette, Dave Monk
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Sound - Factual nomination for John Rodda & Paul Roberts
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Sound - Factual, received by John Rodda & Paul Roberts
- National Television Award for Most Popular Documentary series
- Airport is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Airport
Phrases starting with the word Airport:
Phrases ending with the word Airport:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Airport
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
14-CFR-Vol-3 by Office of The Federal Register, Enhanced by IntraWEB, LLC
Airport means an area of land or other hard surface, excluding water, that is used or intended to be used for the landing and takeoff of aircraft, including any buildings and facilities. Airport Operating Certificate means a certificate, issued under ...
The Modern Airport Terminal (2004)
New Approaches to Airport Architecture by Brian Edwards
The international airport is a modern kind of placeless city. It lacks the sense of geographical justification that is evident in most urban areas. The big, busy, multinational airport derives its logic from the distribution of world trade, the spatial ...
by Purnima Mankekar, Louisa Schein
The airport is an apt metaphor for the ideas of crossings and departures involved in the film's text.
airport is the paradigmatic space of the transnational age, as it functions as the material and symbolic springboard for travel and border ...
Cities Are Good for You (2013)
The Genius of the Metropolis by Leo Hollis
The airport is an instant city, continuously in tumultuous over— drive.
Economic and non-economic functions of airports - study on example of the Gdansk Lech Walesa Airport
Airport is an enterprise whose primary function is aviation activity. In addition...
Beyond Fundamentalism (2010)
Confronting Religious Extremism in the Age of Globalization by Reza Aslan
CHAPTER ONE The Borderless Self Ben-Gurion International Airport is a brash, beautiful, strikingly confident construction that, like much of Tel Aviv, looks as though it might have sprouted fully formed from the desert sands of the old Arab port ...
Airports and ports The Copenhagen airport is a significant feature of the region's accessibility.
more than 18 million passengers annually, the Copenhagen airport is the north European hub and one of the major transfer airports in Europe .
Territorial Investigations (1999)
by Annette W. Balkema, Henk Slager
Editors: In your book S,M,L,XL, you claim, "In terms of its iconography/ performance, the airport is a concentrate of both the hyper-local and the hyper- global - hyper-global in the sense you can get goods there that are not available even in the ...
by Brian Hurlbut
There are no distinct advantages for any one of these, although the Jackson Hole airport is the most centrally located.
The beautiful airport is a great representation of the Montana post-and-beam architectural style and has a friendly feel.
Hearings, Ninety-second Congress, First Session, on S. 1193 and S. 1852 ... May 12 and 17, 1971
At the end of Kennedy International Airport is the Shore Parkway, and we intend taking in these ...
by Ben R. Guttery
Eritrea Asmara, Yohannes IV International Airport (ASM) Ethiopia Addis Ababa, Bole International (ADD) Gabon Libreville, Libreville Leon M'Ba Inter— national Airport (LBV) Port-Gentil, Port—Gentil Airport (POG) Gambia Banjul, Banjul ...
by Homero E. Martinez
Airport (Airlines): A place where aircraft regularly take off and land as part of the process of the air transport service. It counts with facilities specially designed to accommodate the landing and taking off operations and buildings for passengers ...
The term airport service worker is a general term for a wide variety of workers who are employed in support occupations at airports. Many of these workers deal directly with the public in sales- and service-based occupations. Others perform ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
airport — See airfield. air portable — (*) Denotes materiel which is suitable for transport by an aircraft loaded internally or ...
A Practical Compilation of Today's Acronyms and Abbreviations
LH/FSH-RF luteinizing hormone/follicle stimulating hormone-releasing factor LHNCBC Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications LHR London Heathrow Airport LHRF luteinizing hormone releasing factor LHRH luteinizing ...
by Allan Beaver
airport art AlTO alternate restaurant alternative airport 36 Amtrak Reform Council AOA1...
by S. Medlik
airport An area used for the landing and take off ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Airport
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Airport
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: .v1ctor Casale.
Photo credit: blondinrikard
Outside the Columbus Airport
Photo credit: Michael_Lehet
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: Pat Guiney
This is the Double Eagle II airport west of the city. It's only used for general aviation; no commercial flights.
Photo credit: teofilo
Photo credit: newlow
Airport at Sunrise
Photo credit: vic15
Photo credit: hapinachu
Photo credit: xurde
Photo credit: Konrad Karlsson
Photo credit: ReneS
Photo credit: blondinrikard
Photo credit: xurde
Photo credit: Gerald Pereira
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Airport mirror
Photo credit: andrewmalone
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Airport
Click on an item to play that video:
- English Vocabulary: Airport
- English Vocabulary - Airport Check-in
English Vocabulary - Airport Check-in Learn English online using these simple English vocabulary videos.
- Airport Vocabulary
- Airport Vocabulary Builder
Airport Vocabulary Builder.
- Neuron airport explanation
- Airport Meaning
Video shows what airport means. An airfield (a place where airplanes can take off and land), including one or more runways and one or more passenger ...
- English Vocabulary: Airport Arrival Card
Level: Beginner/Intermediate When you travel overseas, you are likely to have to fill out an airport arrival card. Practice pronouncing some of the words you see ...
- Landing at Kefalonia airport EFL.
- EasyJet A319 G-EZIO short finals for Kefalonia (EFL) Airport
EasyJet A319 G-EZIO inbound from London Gatwick on short finals for runway 32 at Kefalonia Airport (EFL). Filmed from Ammes Beach at the end of the runway.
- Plane Talk - Flight, Airport and Travel Related Language
Plane Talk by Fairbanks (Jerry) Productions Published 1965 Usage Public Domain Topics Communication: Radio, Communication: Telephone, Aviation: ...
- Gemini Jets 1:400 Scale Airport Description/Review
A video showing a description & review of the Gemini Jets 1:400 Scale Airport Gemini Jets Website...
- [HD] | RYANAIR | Boeing 737-8AS | EI-EFL | Take Off Manchester Airport | EGCC | 03/06/2015
Ryanair Flight FR555 Takeoff at Manchester Airport, UK en route to Dublin on board EI-EFL. Route of the day - MAN to DUB to MAN Airline - Ryanair Aircraft ...
- [HD] | RYANAIR | Boeing 737-8AS | EI-EFL | Landing Dublin Airport | EIDW | 03/06/2015
Ryanair Flight FR555 Landing at Dublin Airport, Ireland, on board EI-EFL Route of the day - MAN to DUB to MAN Airline - Ryanair Aircraft - EI-EFL Flight - FR555 ...
- EFL Airport
- Airport City Manchester for MIPIM 2014 - English language version
Charlie Cornish of MAG, David Partridge of Argent and Xing Yan of BCEG profile the progress of the Airport City project at Manchester Airport, ahead of their visit ...
- English Language Partners Wellington - Wellington Airport Community Awards 2013
English Language Partners Wellington have been providing refugees and migrants with language and social skills for 40 years.
- ESL 408, Singapore General Hospital, Changi Airport
Watch Judge Dredd (1995) the film. Also, music from maxzwell used without permission...
- The Atlanta Airport Rotary Club Dictionary Project
This video is about the Atlanta Airport Rotary Club's efforts to improve literacy in Georgia. With the help of generous corporate sponsorship and private donations ...
- Massive FIRE ravage NW JAMAICA, AIRPORT Montego Bay 5.14.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Airport Screeners Job Description
Airport Screeners Job Description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Airport!
Quotes about Airport
I would not vote for the mayor. It's not just because he didn't invite me to dinner, but because on my way into town from the airport there were such enormous potholes. (Fidel Castro)
more quotes about airport...
Scrabble value of A1I1R1P3O1R1T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AIRPORT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Airport!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Airport to see it in context!