On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective alarming
What does alarming mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more alarming / most alarming
- frightening because of an awareness of danger
- example: Manias can be alarming.
- antonym: unalarming
- similar: appalling / dismaying; atrocious / frightful / horrible / horrifying / ugly; awful / dire / direful / dread / dreaded / dreadful / fearful / fearsome / frightening / horrendous / horrific / terrible; baleful / forbidding / menacing / minacious / minatory / ominous / sinister / threatening; bloodcurdling / hair-raising / nightmarish; chilling / scary / shivery / shuddery; creepy / creepy-crawly; formidable / redoubtable / unnerving; ghastly / grim / grisly / gruesome / macabre / sick; hairy; petrifying; stupefying; terrific / terrifying
- attribute: consternation / dismay / alarm = fear resulting from the awareness of danger
Alternative definition of the adjective alarming
- causing apprehension, fear or alarm; frightening
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alarming
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Random House, Stephen Elliott
hateful, heinous, hideous, intense 8 alarming, dreadful, enormous, fearsome, horrible. shocking, terrific 9 ap~ palling, excessive. harrowing. monstrous, obnoxious, offensive, repulsive, revoiting, upsetting 10 disturbing, formidable, horrifying, ...
Dictionary of Terrorism (2013)
by John Richard Thackrah
The possibilities for action by nuclear terrorists can encompass the creation of potentially alarming hoaxes, acts of low-level symbolic sabotage, the occupation or seizure of nuclear facilities, acts of serious sabotage aimed at causing ...
Sinhalese English Dictionary (1982)
by B. Clough
creating fear, alarming; terrific. tfl ®, ...
Who Reside in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton and Newfoundland by Silas Tertius Rand
Alarming, kwëdadaak ; Wâgwôdaswôkûn ; kwëdôdâsimkâwâ'. Alarming to the sight, kwëdâdâptûmûg- ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alarming
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about alarming
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about alarming
Alarming shortage of foreign language skills in UK
The UK has an "alarming shortage" of people who are able to speak the 10 languages vital to its future prosperity and global standing, according to a new report ...
See also the pronunciation examples of alarming!
Quotes about alarming
If you can't distinguish how to whistle a festival alarm from a warning alarm, then better not alarm and let s/he who knows the difference to do the alarming.
more quotes about alarming...
Scrabble value of A1L1A1R1M3I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALARMING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of alarming!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of alarming to see it in context!