The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alarum:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alarum
- Definition of the verb alarum
- Phrases with Alarum
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alarum
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alarum
- Photos about Alarum
- Video about Alarum
- Scrabble value of A1L1A1R1U1M3
- Anagrams of ALARUM
- Share this page
Definition of the noun alarum
What does alarum mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alarums
- an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of alarum: alarm / alert / warning signal
- more generic words: sign / signal / signaling = any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message
- more specific terms:
- torpedo = a small explosive device that is placed on a railroad track and fires when a train runs over it
- air alert = the warning signal that begins a period of preparation for an enemy air attack
- burglar alarm = a loud warning signal produced by a burglar alarm
- fire alarm = a shout or bell to warn that fire has broken out
- fogsignal / foghorn = a loud low warning signal that can be heard by fogbound ships
- horn = a noise made by the driver of an automobile to give warning
- red flag = a flag that serves as a warning signal
- siren = a warning signal that is a loud wailing sound
- alarm bell / tocsin = the sound of an alarm
Definition of the verb alarum
What does alarum mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: alarumed | alaruming | alarums
- [archaic] To sound alarums, to sound an alarm.
Alarum are an Australian progressive metal and technical death metal band which formed in 1992. Their first album, Fluid Motion, was self-released in 1998. The second album, Eventuality..., was released in Australia and United States on Willowtip Records in October 2004 and in Europe on Earache Records in June 2005. From April to June 2006 Alarum toured US with Necrophagist, Arsis, Cattle Decapitation and Neuraxis. They followed with shows in the United Kingdom and Ireland with Obituary. The group's third album, Natural Causes, was issued in Australia and US in October 2011 and in Europe in January 2012.
- genres: Jazz fusion, Progressive metal, Heavy metal, Technical death metal
- albums: "Fluid Motion", "Eventuality..."
- official website: alarum.com
Phrases with Alarum
- Sphaerella Alarum
- Eutarsopolipus Alarum
- Mycosphaerella Alarum
- Parula pitiayumi alarum
- Species Sphaerella Alarum
- Species Eutarsopolipus Alarum
- Species Mycosphaerella Alarum
- Xiphorhynchus lachrymosus alarum
- Subspecies Parula Pitiayumi Alarum
- Subspecies Xiphorhynchus Lachrymosus Alarum
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alarum
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Stormont's Alarum is a neat and effective contiivance of two gongs, placed opposite one another, on the same vertical staff. It is worked by pressing a button at the top, which in its descent works two catches and spring hammers, concealed in ...
The Christian remembrancer; or, The Churchman's Biblical, ecclesiastical & literary miscellany (1840)
Terra cymbalo alarum is a rendering which ought not, however, to be hastily cancelled.
The Christian Remembrancer (1840)
A Quarterly Review
Terra cymbalo alarum is a rendering which ought not, however, to be hastily cancelled ...
by David Crystal
> land Аlarbus n o la:abos sp Alarbus" alarm / ~s n o laim / -z spalarme*/alarmes' rh armS R2 1 1 205 > night-alarm alarum, abbr larum adj ola:rom, abbr 'la:rom sp alarum", ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Mixed sciences, vol. 6
llnnufatr tun-s, Clock alarum. Tide register, or tide gauge. Manufacturels. M's/'1 Shears for cutting iron, &c. Pl. xxxv. Fig. little below the general centre of gravity; to the frame is also fixed a tube with quicksilver, which is horizontal when the frame ...
by George Dodd
Alarum is a watch or clock that strikes at a particular hour. An ordinary clock strikes on a bell ...
The domestic encyclopaedia (1802)
or, A dictionary of facts, and useful knowledge, comprehending a concise view of the latest discoveries, inventions, and improvements, chiefly applicable to rural and domestic enconomy ... by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich
Henev invented a curious alarum, which was highly approved of by Sir Jonw Fielding. All burglaries being perpetrated at night, this piece of mechanism deserves peculiar enr conragement. On being fixed up by a ...
by Adrian Room
aide see aid alarm/alarum The usual spelling of the word in all senses is alarm. However, the spelling alarum is still occasionally found in the set expression alarums and excursions, used of a local disturbance or conflict. This was originally a ...
The Domestic Encyclopedia, Or, A Dictionary of Facts and Useful Knowledge, Chiefly Applicable to Rural & Domestic Economy (1821)
With an Appendix, Containing Additions in Domestic Medicine, and the Veterinary and Culinary Arts by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich
ALARUM, a term employed to signify any instrument , or contrivance, for the purpose of awakening persons from sleep, at a certain hour, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alarum
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alarum
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about Alarum
Video shows what alarum means. A danger signal or warning.. A call to arms.. Alarum Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
Scrabble value of A1L1A1R1U1M3
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALARUM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alarum!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Alarum to find many related words and phrases!