On this page:
- Albert Coates was an English conductor and composer. Born in Saint Petersburg where his English father was a successful businessman, he studied in Russia, England and Germany, before beginning his career as a conductor in a series of German opera houses. He was a success in England conducting Wagner at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden in 1914, and in 1919 was appointed chief conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra.
- Albert Coates: Sir Albert Ernest Coates OBE, FRCS was an Australian surgeon and soldier. He served as a medical orderly in World War I serving on Gallipoli, and as a senior surgeon for the Australian Army Medical Corps in World War II in Malaya. He was captured by the Japanese and during his time as a POW, worked as a surgeon for the many Allied POWs working to build the Burma-Thailand Railway.
- Albert Coates was the founder and long-time director of the Institute of Government at the University of North Carolina.
- born in (120 years ago)
- education: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- died in (27 years ago)
- written works: "What the University of North Carolina meant to me", "Talks to students and teachers"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Albert Coates
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
New Edition by Norris J. Lacy, Geoffrey Ashe, Sandra Ness Ihle, Marianne E. Kalinke, Raymond H. Thompson
The oratorio was first performed in Los Angeles in 1940 by the Los Angeles Philharmonic with the Los Angeles Oratorio Society, Albert Coates conducting. [ TJD] Warren, Elinor Remick. The Passing of Arthur. New York: HW Gray, 1939.
by Mary Elizabeth Devine, Carol Summerfield
Albert Coates provides a more personal view of the university in A Magic Gulf Stream in the Life of North Carolina (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1978). A pictorial and written history can be found in William Powell's The First ...
by John Warrack, Ewan West
Sam Weller (Pickwick, Albert Coates), and was a successful Verdi and Puccini singer.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Albert Coates
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Albert Coates
Albert Coates Lane, Melbourne
Geotagging some Melbourne landmarks :)
(03) 9663 7026
31 Albert Coates La
Melbourne VIC 3000...
Photo credit: avlxyz
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Albert Coates for some fun with words!