On this page:
Definition of the noun albuminoid
What does albuminoid mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: albuminoids
- a simple protein found in horny and cartilaginous tissues and in the lens of the eye
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of albuminoid: scleroprotein
- more generic term: simple protein = a protein that yields only amino acids when hydrolyzed
- more specific words:
- collagen = a fibrous scleroprotein in bone and cartilage and tendon and other connective tissue
- elastin = a fibrous scleroprotein found in elastic tissues such as the walls of arteries
- gelatine / gelatin = a colorless water-soluble glutinous protein obtained from animal tissues such as bone and skin
- chondrin = a substance that resembles gelatin and is obtained by boiling cartilage in water
- ceratin / keratin = a fibrous scleroprotein that occurs in the outer layer of the skin and in horny tissues such as hair, feathers, nails, and hooves
Alternative definition of the noun albuminoid
- A simple protein of a subclass mainly derived from animal connective or supportive tissue
Definition of the adjective albuminoid
What does albuminoid mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of albumin
- like albumen
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for albuminoid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by F. Fraser Darling
Albuminoid means protein, and the ratio is intended to indicate the right proportion of meaty stuff to fatty and starchy stuff in a ration. It will be obvious that a young calf or a cow in full milk or a horse in heavy work will need more protein than a ...
Handbook of Invalid Cooking (2008)
by Mary Boland
The protein compounds are divided into three classes : ALBUMINOIDS, GELATINOIDS, EXTRACTIVES. Albuminoids. The most perfect type of an albuminoid is the white of egg. It is a viscous, glairy, thick fluid which occurs also in the flesh of ...
Medical Times (1904)
The albuminoid is an elevated state of the natural requirement to aid in the appearance of life, which comes by an association with the crystal, the colloid and the crystal always being present as the colloid makes the crystal subservient to it in ...
A Pocket Medical Dictionary (1895)
Giving the Pronunciation and Definition of about 12,000 of the Principal Words Used in Medicine and the Collateral Sciences ... by George Milbry Gould
Albuminoid ferment. Pathogenic Saprophytic. Pathogenic Pathogenic. f_...
A Dictionary of Medicine (1882)
Including General Pathology, General Therapeutics, Hygiene, and the Diseases Peculiar to Women and Children by Richard Quain
Albuminoid disease of the liver occurs in association with certain cachexias, especially those of constitutional syphilis, scrofula, rickets, scrofulous diseases of bones and joints, and other diseases attended with protracted suppuration.
an albuminoid substance found in the connective fibers of reticular tissue.
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
albacore albuminoid albacore [al'b3 kor'] Vertebrate Zoology, a long-finned species of tuna, Thunnus alalunga, found in tropical seas and important as a food and game fish. Albada finder Optics, a viewfinder in which bright or white markings ...
by Dawn Freshwater, Sian Masiln-Prothero
— albuminous; albuminoid...
albuminoid (aI-bu' -mi-noyd): 1. Having the characteristics of albumin. 2. A protein. 3. Any of a group of proteins that are ...
A New Medical Dictionary (1890)
by George Milbry Gould
An albuminoid tissue, the characteristic substance in mucus, occurring also in saliva, bile, mucous tissue, synovia, err. Decomp0sed it yields leucin and tyrosin. Mu'eoeele (mum, ml", tumor). A mucus tumor or distention of the lachrymal sac.
by Jennie King, Rhonda Hawley
an albuminoid substance which forms the principal constituent of ...
by Clive Upton, William A. Kretzschmar, Jr.
n albuminoid BR al'bju:m#noid, -z AM al'bjumonoid, -z albuminous BR ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for albuminoid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about albuminoid
Video shows what albuminoid means. of albumin. like albumen. Albuminoid Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say albuminoid.
Scrabble value of A1L1B3U1M3I1N1O1I1D2
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of albuminoid to find many related words and phrases!