On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alcoholic drink
What does alcoholic drink mean as a name of something?
- a liquor or brew containing alcohol as the active agent
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of alcoholic drink: alcohol / alcoholic beverage / inebriant / intoxicant
- more generic terms: drug of abuse / street drug = a drug that is taken for nonmedicinal reasons; beverage / drink / drinkable / potable = any liquid suitable for drinking
- more specific terms:
- proof spirit = a mixture containing half alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- home brew / homebrew = an alcoholic beverage (especially beer) made at home
- hootch / hooch = an illicitly distilled (and usually inferior) alcoholic liquor
- kavakava / kava = an alcoholic drink made from the aromatic roots of the kava shrub
- aperitif = alcoholic beverage taken before a meal as an appetizer
- brewage / brew = drink made by steeping and boiling and fermenting rather than distilling
- rice beer / sake / saki = Japanese alcoholic beverage made from fermented rice
- nipa = made from sap of the Australasian nipa palm
- vino / wine = fermented juice
- John Barleycorn / strong drink / hard liquor / hard drink / spirits / liquor / booze = an alcoholic beverage that is distilled rather than fermented
- neutral spirits / ethyl alcohol = nonflavored alcohol of 95 percent or 190 proof used for blending with straight whiskies and in making gin and liqueurs
- pulque = fermented Mexican drink from juice of various agave plants especially the maguey
- cordial / liqueur = strong highly flavored sweet liquor usually drunk after a meal
- mixed drink = made of two or more ingredients
- hard cider = alcoholic drink from fermented cider
- perry = a fermented and often effervescent beverage made from juice of pears
- rotgut = any alcoholic beverage of inferior quality
- slug = an amount of an alcoholic drink (usually liquor) that is poured or gulped
- koumiss / kumis = an alcoholic beverage made from fermented mare's milk
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alcoholic drink
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
large meringue—desert wine Alcoholic chocolate—liqueur Alcoholic drink— booze, beer, cider, scotch, tipple, toddy, vodka, spirited drink, wine, eggnog, liqueur Alcoholic drink distilled from agave plant—tequila Alcoholic drink flavoured with ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
From BEVVY (an alcoholic drink). UK,1960 bevvy; bevie; bevv noun 1 an alcoholic drink, especially beer. Possibly from the circus term ®bevie ̄ (apublic house), or an abbreviation of ®beverage ̄; both derive from C15 ®bever ̄ ( drink),and ...
Encyclopedia of China (2013)
History and Culture by Dorothy Perkins
The Chinese alcoholic drink known as maotai has become wellknown in the West since Mao Zedongtoasted U.S. President RichardNixon with itwhenNixon visited Chinain 1972. maotai, namedforthe town inGuizhou Province whereit is ...
by John F. Mariani
The agave alsomakes an alcoholic drink known to boththe Indians and the Mexicans, ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
gin, highball, martini, mead, posset, rum, scotch, sherry, whisky, wine alcoholic drink cocktail, flip, highball, julep, libation, martini, sling, sour, stinger, toddy alcoholic drink as appetiser aperitif alcoholic drink made from honey mead alcoholic ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
fermented, inebriated, intoxicating, sot, spiritous alcoholic appetizer: aperitif alcoholic beverage with water, dilute: tectify alcoholic drink: intoxicant, libation alcoholic drink, small: snifter, snort alcoholic drink, small measute fot: jigger alcoholic ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
corryypa IT drunken ness, apxHRaH corryypax to get drunk, to be drunk, apxHRaH corryypax Heman drunkenness, alcoholism APXVIJIAT alcoholic, ~ yHHaa alcoholic drink APXVIPAX to grow, to snar APXVITEKTOP architect (Russ. ] ...
Social, Cultural, and Historical Perspectives by Scott C. Martin
It has defined heavy drinking in women as the consumption, on average, of more than 1 alcoholic drink per day or more than 7 alcoholic drinks each week. The Mayo Clinic suggests that heavy drinking for males would equate to more than five ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alcoholic drink
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about alcoholic drink
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of alcoholic drink to see it in context!