Alert appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Sex Alert: "Ella, my mallet relaxes!"
- Rae, don’t relay a D-Day alert… no, dear.
- Nora, alert, saws goldenrod-adorned logs, wastrel Aaron!
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alert:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective alert:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb alert:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alert
- Definition of the adjective alert
- Definition of the verb alert
- Phrases with Alert
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alert
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alert
- Photos about Alert
- Videos about Alert
- Sign language
- Quotes about Alert
- Scrabble value of A1L1E1R1T1
- Anagrams of ALERT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alert
What does alert mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alerts
- condition of heightened watchfulness or preparation for action
- example: bombers were put on alert during the crisis
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of alert: qui vive
- more generic words: preparation / preparedness / readiness = the state of having been made ready or prepared for use or action
- more specific terms:
- a warning serves to make you more alert to danger
- an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of alert: alarm / alarum / warning signal
- more generic words: sign / signal / signaling = any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message
- more specific terms:
- torpedo = a small explosive device that is placed on a railroad track and fires when a train runs over it
- air alert = the warning signal that begins a period of preparation for an enemy air attack
- burglar alarm = a loud warning signal produced by a burglar alarm
- fire alarm = a shout or bell to warn that fire has broken out
- fogsignal / foghorn = a loud low warning signal that can be heard by fogbound ships
- horn = a noise made by the driver of an automobile to give warning
- red flag = a flag that serves as a warning signal
- siren = a warning signal that is a loud wailing sound
- alarm bell / tocsin = the sound of an alarm
Alternative definition of the noun alert
- An alarm.
- A notification of higher importance than an advisory.
Specialised definition of the noun alert
Glossary of management / IT service management / problem management
a warning that an incident has occurred
Glossary of sports
used for describing someone who takes an intelligent interest in his or her surroundings (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective alert
What does alert mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more alert / alerter | most alert / alertest
- engaged in or accustomed to close observation
- examples: caught by a couple of alert cops | alert enough to spot the opportunity when it came | constantly alert and vigilant, like a sentinel on duty
- synonym of alert: watchful
- antonym of alert: unalert
- similar: argus-eyed / open-eyed / vigilant / wakeful; fly; heads-up / wide-awake; lidless / sleepless
- see also: wary; awake; lively
- quick and energetic
- mentally perceptive and responsive
Alternative definition of the adjective alert
- Attentive; awake; on-guard.
Definition of the verb alert
What does alert mean as a doing word?
Alert is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: alerted | alerting | alerts
- warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness
- example: We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] Ellen alerted Helen [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] [Topic, quotation] Ellen warned Helen, 'Avoid that hole in the sidewalk.' [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] [Topic, that-complement clause] Ellen warned Helen that the party would be tonight | Heather cabled Sara that the party would be tonight [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] [Topic, wh-infinitive clause] Ellen warned Helen how to avoid the crowd [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] against / about / concerning / on / regarding / respecting [Topic] Ellen warned Helen against skating on thin ice [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] of [Topic] My accountant warned me of the new loopholes in the tax code
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of alert: alarm
- more generic word: warn = notify of danger, potential harm, or risk
- more specific word: wake = make aware of
Alternative definition of the verb alert
- To give warning to.
- Alert is an unincorporated community in southern Morgan Township, Butler County, Ohio, in the United States. It is located about ten miles southwest of Hamilton on Howards Creek, a tributary of the Great Miami River in section 28 of R1ET3N of the Congress Lands. It is three miles west of Shandon and two miles south of Okeana.
- ALERT is a medical facility on the edge of Addis Ababa, specializing in Hansen’s disease, also known as “leprosy”. It was originally the All Africa Leprosy Rehabilitation and Training Center, but the official name is now expanded to include tuberculosis: All Africa Leprosy, Tuberculosis and Rehabilitation Training Centre.
- part of Ethiopia
- Alert is an unincorporated community in Jackson Township, Decatur County, Indiana.
There are other places with in their name, like Alert Bay.
Alert is a musical artist, webpage, musical group.
- also known as Gleek
- album: "Are You Hectic?"
- official website: www.doperecordings.com
- Alert is an energy caffeine gum produced by the Wrigley's company that entered the U.S. market in April 2013.
- Alert is a drug brand, brand.
- "Alert" is a musical album of Kanka.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Alert" a.k.a. "Alert!" is a musical EP of Al Sirat.
- released in (11 years ago)
- Alert is a breed temperament.
- Alert was an English motorcycle manufactured by Smith & Molesworth at Coventry between 1903 and 1906. The bikes were powered by 2.35, 2.75 and 3.25 bhp Sarolea engines.
Phrases with Alert
Phrase starting with the word Alert:
Phrases ending with the word Alert:
Other phrases containing the word Alert:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alert
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
It is really up to you by Madison Clark, Jr.
However, being alert means being aware of the possibilities of being tempted. We are not above or immune to the things that Satan...
Spiritual Food For Thought (2012)
Practical matters from a Biblical Perspective by Dr. Mary J. Jackson
Being alert means being aware of the possibilities of temptation, sensitive to the subtleties, and spiritually equipped to fight it. In most cases temptation will strike in areas where we are the most vulnerable, for example; if you're trying to stop ...
by Ron Husband
Sitting while being alert means only the seated portion of the anatomy is relaxed. The combinations and situations of sitting are endless. Be observant of that person “just sitting.” There is action analysis, anatomy, and that person's thought ...
by Linwood H. Cousins
The American versionofthe AMBER Alert Plan, known asAmerica's Missing: BroadcastEmergency Response,was codified into federallaw by the 2003 Prosecutorial Remedies and Other ToolstoEndthe Exploitation of Children Today ...
by Walter Whiter
Ready, alert. tricks — teizing, &c. we readily fall Imp. (Eng.) Surculus. into the sense which the word bears at Imp. (Old Eng.) ...
by Alison Wakefield, Jenny Fleming
Human Security; Intelligence Agency; Security; Security Networks; Transnational Policing NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH Definition Neighbourhood watch (also known as block watch, apartment watch, home watch, citizen alert and community ...
by Bonnie S. Fisher, Steven P. Lab
Despite the excellent intentions behind the AMBER Alert system and the claims of extraordinary success by its advocates, the available evidence suggests a more sobering picture. Although the vast majority of the cases in which AMBER Alerts ...
by Rosemarie Skaine
AMBER ALERT The AMBER Alert System was created ...
by Claire M. Renzetti, Jeffrey L. Edleson
The AMBER Alert program is an emergency response system established to enable the public to aid in the search for children who are believed to have been abducted and to be in imminent danger. Following the 1996 abduction and murder ...
by K. Bradley Penuel, Matt Statler, Ryan Hagen
Alert. Systems. Emergency alert systems (EAS) are mechanisms used to quickly deliver an alert or warning, especially during significant, life-threatening emergencies. These systems are currently used on various scales in multiple settings, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alert
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alert
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: rebelxtned
Photo credit: vintagedept
Photo credit: simonturkas
Urban fox in the snow at night
Photo credit: The_Land
For A friend
Photo credit: JustoRuiz, Capturing smiles one shot at a time ©
UK Border Force
Photo credit: Max Speed
Photo credit: erokism
Example of a park alert
Photo credit: vastateparksstaff
Photo credit: kozemchuk
- Binaltech Asterisk Alert
Photo credit: Pete Slater
Photo credit: Allyndon
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Alert
Click on an item to play that video:
- First Alert Basic Smoke Alarm explanation and un-boxing video for SA303CN
- First Alert Explosive Gas and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- Explanation AED Alert System
Heartsafe Living is implemented in close collaboration with participating municipalities and volunteers within safety regions. Consultation and agreement ...
- First Alert Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Digital Display Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Radon Gas Test Kit explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Hearing Impaired Strobe Light explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Hardwired Smoke and Fire Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's 2 in 1 Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Lead Test Kit explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's One Link Smoke Alarm two pack explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert's One Link Voice Sounding Smoke and CO Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- First Alert Dual Sensor Smoke Detector and Alarm explanation and un-boxing video for SA302CN
- First Alert Escape Light Smoke Alarm explanation and un-boxing video for SA304CN3
- Alert Meaning
Video shows what alert means. Attentive; awake; on guard.. Brisk; nimble; moving with celerity.. alert pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Nig Alert meaning and pronunciation
Similar to a (Sig Alert). A Nig Alert is a warning to the public that members of the African American community are upset over a court ruling or a jury decison in a ...
- First Alert's One Link Hard Wired Smoke Alarm explanation and un-boxing video
- UFO - Fake Plane Alert! Flat, Assymetrical, Lacking Definition And Oddly Blue-Green.
- MADtv Verb Alert
- *LANGUAGE ALERT* Mississauga storm happening now
Carmen C. wrote: In Mississauga tree broken down high winds.
- Theft Alert description
- How to Read Body Language : How to Look Ready & Alert with Body Language
Learn how to appear ready and alert in body language and how to read body language in this free video on body language communication skills. Expert: ...
- Keane Kokolsky just filmed this south of Osborne, Manitoba. *LANGUAGE ALERT*
LANGUAGE ALERT* Keane Kokolsky just filmed this south of Osborne, Manitoba. For up to the minute severe weather details, visit us on Facebook at ...
- Fulfilled - CHILE 8.3 Massive MEGA-QUAKE, TSUNAMI ALERT 4.1.14 See 'DESCRIPTION' for DETAILS
- Alive, Awake, Alert: An ESL Song
"Alive, Awake, Alert" is a great energizer for your students. Buon divertimento! Pagina facebook...
- Alert Spoiler - HS7 - Spider-Man 2 partie 1 (lien dans la description)
Pour voir la critique...
- ESL Scam Alert
Tonight investigators want to get the word out about a scary scam.
- English language education with the Consul General of Canada - Alert
In this English-language educational program, the Consul General of Canada in Ho Chi Minh City, Mr. Audri Mukhopadhyay, teaches us about the world's ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Alert!
Invert to Alert - sign language
Quotes about Alert
Scrabble value of A1L1E1R1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALERT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Alert!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alert to see it in context!