On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alga
What does alga mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: algae / algas (rare form)
- primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of alga: algae
- more generic word: protoctist = any of the unicellular protists
- more specific terms:
- seaweed = plant growing in the sea, especially marine algae
- golden algae = algae having the pigments chlorophyll and carotene and xanthophyll
- yellow-green algae = any alga of the division Chrysophyta with its chlorophyll masked by yellow pigment
- diatom = microscopic unicellular marine or freshwater colonial alga having cell walls impregnated with silica
- confervoid algae = algae resembling confervae especially in having branching filaments
- brown algae = algae having the chlorophyll masked by brown and yellow pigments
- euglenophyte / euglenoid / euglenid = marine and freshwater green or colorless flagellate organism
- chlorophyte / green algae = algae that are clear green in color
- chlorella = any alga of the genus Chlorella
- red algae = marine algae in which the chlorophyll is masked by a red or purplish pigment
- cryptomonad / cryptophyte = common in fresh and salt water appearing along the shore as algal blooms
Alternative definition of the noun alga
- [biology] Any of many aquatic photosynthetic organisms, whose size ranges from a single cell to giant kelps and whose form is very diverse; some are eukaryotic and some prokaryotic; includes the seaweeds.
- hyponyms: seaweed
algA is a gene.
Phrases with alga
- red alga
- brown alga
- green alga
- Ancistrus Alga
- Millepora Alga
- Blue-Green Alga
- Yellow-Green Alga
- Species Millepora Alga
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alga
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George Karleskint, Richard Turner, James Small
An alga is any photosynthetic organism, unicellular or ...
Marine Algae Extracts (2015)
Processes, Products, and Applications, 2 Volume Set by Se-Kwon Kim, Katarzyna Chojnacka
cava marine brown alga is a rich sauce of bioactive, antiviral , and anti -inflammatory  materials. Methanol extraction of E. cava phlorotannin promoted the osteosarcoma differentiation suggesting the high affinity of human ...
Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications by Anttiroiko, Ari-Veikko
The ALGA is a member of the Online and Communication Council (OCC) formally known as Online Council, whose membership includes ministers from the Australian state and territory governments. The OCC is a forum for commonwealth, ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
ample, the principal alga is a green alga, one of the ralmcllaceae, but Nostoc ...
by Ariane Archambault
red alga Red-pigmented alga that generally lives in salt water and at greater depths than other algae; there are 4,000 ...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
(Latin, alga = seaweed + colere = to inhabit.) Pertaining to organisms that live in or around algae. See Habitat. Cf. Arenicolous; Fimicolous; Fungicolous; Lignicolous; Madicolous; Muscicolous; Paludicolous; Pratinicolous; ...
by S. Gangolli
moths Simulium venustum black flies Tinomiscium philippense plant Sitophilus oryzae rice weevil Tolypocladium inflatum fungus imperfectus Skeletonema costatum alga Trachelophyllum spp. protozoans Solandra nitida golden chalice ...
by Ian W. Southon, John Buckingham
from the blue-green alga Hapalosiphonfontinalis.
from the blue-green alga Hapalosiphon fontinalis.
Encyclopedia of Ecology (2014)
the ribbon kelp, Alaria marginata, is an annual alga with high growth rates, whereas ( c) the sea cabbage kelp, Hedophyllum sessile, is a perennial alga with lower ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alga
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about alga
Click on an item to view that photo:
Alga getting wet
Photo credit: Jonas B
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about alga
Video shows what alga means. Any of many aquatic photosynthetic organisms, whose size ranges from a single cell to giant kelps and whose form is very ...
See also the pronunciation examples of alga!
Quotes about alga
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'alga"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of A1L1G2A1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALGA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of alga!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of alga to see it in context!