On this page:
Definition of the noun algarroba bean
What does algarroba bean mean as a name of something?
- long pod containing small beans and sweetish edible pulp; used as animal feed and source of a chocolate substitute
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of algarroba bean: algarroba / carob / carob bean / locust bean / locust pod
- more generic word: bean = any of various seeds or fruits that are beans or resemble beans
- part of: algarroba / carob / carob bean tree / carob tree / Ceratonia siliqua = evergreen Mediterranean tree with edible pods
- substance of: carob / carob powder / Saint-John's-bread = powder from the ground seeds and pods of the carob tree
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for algarroba bean
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
by Charles Augustus Maude Fennell
the pods of a tree, native in the Levant, the Ccratonia siliqua, the pulp of which is edible, but generally used for food for horses ; also called Algarroba Bean ; also, attrib. as in carobtree. The husks of the Prodigal Son are supposed to have ...
by William Dwight Whitney
Algarroba bean. Seeixani. Also spelled algaroba. algarrobilla (al'ga-rd-bil'S), n. [S. Amer. Sp., dim. of Sp. algarroba : see'above.] The astringent resinous husks and seeds of several leguminous trees or shrubs of South America, which are ...
The Century Dictionary (1914)
An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language
Algarroba bean. See bean 1. Also spelled algaroba. algarrobilla (al"ga-rö-bél'yā), n. [S.Amer. Sp., dim, of Sp. algarroba: see above..] The astringent resinous husks and seeds of several leguminous trees or shrubs of South America, which are ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for algarroba bean
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of algarroba bean to find many related words and phrases!