On this page:
- Definition of the noun aliment
- Definition of the verb aliment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aliment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aliment
- Photos about Aliment
- Video about Aliment
- Scrabble value of A1L1I1M3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ALIMENT
- Share this page
Definition of the noun aliment
What does aliment mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aliments
- a source of materials to nourish the body
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of aliment: alimentation / nourishment / nutriment / nutrition / sustenance / victuals
- more generic words: food / nutrient = any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- more specific terms:
- milk = produced by mammary glands of female mammals for feeding their young
- course = part of a meal served at one time
- delicacy / kickshaw / dainty / goody / treat = something considered choice to eat
- dish = a particular item of prepared food
- fast food = inexpensive food (hamburgers or chicken or milkshakes) prepared and served quickly
- finger food = food to be eaten with the fingers
- ingesta = solid and liquid nourishment taken into the body through the mouth
- kosher = food that fulfills the requirements of Jewish dietary law
- repast / meal = the food served and eaten at one time
- mess = soft semiliquid food
- mince = food chopped into small bits
- puree = food prepared by cooking and straining or processed in a blender
- stodge = heavy and filling (and usually starchy) food
- wheat germ = embryo of the wheat kernel
- vitamin = any of a group of organic substances essential in small quantities to normal metabolism
Alternative definition of the noun aliment
- food, nourishment
Definition of the verb aliment
What does aliment mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: alimented | alimenting | aliments
- give nourishment to
Aliment, in Scots law and in other civil systems, is the sum paid or allowance given in respect of the reciprocal obligation of parents and children, husband and wife, grandparents and grandchildren, to contribute to each other's maintenance. The term is also used in regard to a similar obligation of other parties, as of creditors to imprisoned debtors, the payments by parishes to paupers, etc.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aliment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Making a Man (2009)
Gentlemanly Appetites in the Nineteenth-century British Novel by Gwen Hyman
The Gentleman Cooked, Plated, and Served Aliment is a means of reading the gentleman's character at. 242.
by Mungo Ponton Brown
common law, which, on the analogy of the statute concerning wards, gives an aliment to every fiar whose fee is liferented. 3tio, On the obligation in the contract of marriage. In defence, it was pleaded that it was only to the heir of a landed ...
Comprehending a Plain and Practical View of Those Subjects Most Interesting to Persons, in the Ordinary Professions of Life ... by Charles Augustus Goodrich
Pork is an aliment, without doubt, highly nutritious ; but, on account of the fat, with which it abounds, not so digestible. It is stimulant, and savory, though its particular flavor is not agreeable to every one. It yields, however, to those with whom it ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
To-xls have b en long remarked by physiologists, as possessed of a capability of living without air oi aliment. Of this the most astonistiing instances are given by different authors. In the volume for 17 19, of the Academy of Sciences at Paris, ...
Comprising Every Branch of Domestic Economy
ALIMENT. (Continued from page I6I._) THE MISCELLANY. As a conclusion to this subject, it may not be amiss to add a brief summary of our previous remarks, as well as a few additional hints. With regard to animal food generally, it may be ...
Explaining Not Only the Terms of Art, But the Arts Themselves by John Harris
The Aliment which is usually taken down into the Stomach of Adult Perfons, is such whose Grossnefs of Parts requires...
by David Booth
ALIMENT. NOMADES. us to the object for which the food is given. To Feed alludes to no particular purpose ; To Nourish is to support and continue life, by supplying the ordinary or accidental waste of the frame. Nutrition, or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aliment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aliment
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ST.WILLY
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Aliment
Video shows what aliment means. Food.. Nourishment, sustenance.. An allowance for maintenance.. aliment pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Aliment!
Scrabble value of A1L1I1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALIMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aliment!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Aliment to find many related words and phrases!