On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alimentary canal
What does alimentary canal mean as a name of something?
- tubular passage of mucous membrane and muscle extending about 8.3 meters from mouth to anus; functions in digestion and elimination
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of alimentary canal: alimentary tract / digestive tract / digestive tube / gastrointestinal tract / GI tract
- more generic terms: canal / channel / duct / epithelial duct = a bodily passage or tube lined with epithelial cells and conveying a secretion or other substance
- more specific word: enteron = the alimentary canal
- part of: digestive system / gastrointestinal system / systema alimentarium / systema digestorium = the system that makes food absorbable into the body
- breadbasket / stomach / tummy / tum = an enlarged and muscular saclike organ of the alimentary canal
- oesophagus / esophagus / gullet / gorge = the passage between the pharynx and the stomach
- small intestine = the longest part of the alimentary canal
- large intestine = beginning with the cecum and ending with the rectum; includes the cecum and the colon and the rectum
- pharynx / throat = the passage to the stomach and lungs
Alternative definition of the noun alimentary canal
- The organs of a human or an animal through which food passes. The digestive tract.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alimentary canal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Hans Gerd Muller
The alimentary canal is a tube running from the mouth to the anus. It is about...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
The alimentary canal (often simply called the gut in much of the literature) evolved to accommodate such diverse foods in a variety of morphological and physiological ways. Thus, there is no "typical" insect alimentary canal just as there is no ...
by Henrik Steinmann, Lajos Zombori
-> epipleuron alimentary canal, canalis alimentarius: the main branch of the digestive system running longitudinally through the body having three principal parts, the stomodaeum, the mid-gut and the hind-gut abdominal alimentary canal, ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
alimentary canal (alimentary tract; digestive tract). the tube-like portion of most animals' digestive tract through which ingested materials ...
by Heinz Mehlhorn, Horst Aspöck
The alimentary canal and the gonads are surrounded by the fluid-filled pseudocoel, which is not septate (Fig. 11). Movement of the fluid is maintained by movements of the somatic and organ muscles. In many nematodes the genital tubes are ...
The British Encyclopedia, Or Dictionary of Arts and Sciences Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge (1809)
by William Nicholson
The alimentary canal passes along ' each side of the animal, sending a cross canal over the bottom of each joint, which connects the two lateral canals together. Mr. Carlisle injected with a coloured size, by a single push with a small syringe, ...
by William Nicholson
The alimentary canal passes along each side of the animal, sending a cross canal over the bottom of each joint, which connects the two lateral canals together. Mr. Carlisle injected with a coloured size, by a single push with a small syringe, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alimentary canal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about alimentary canal
Photo credit: neajjean
Video about alimentary canal
Alimentary canal Meaning
Video shows what alimentary canal means. The organs of a human or an animal through which food passes. The digestive tract.. Alimentary canal Meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of alimentary canal!
Quotes about alimentary canal
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of alimentary canal to see it in context!