On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alimentation
What does alimentation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alimentations
- a source of materials to nourish the body
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of alimentation: aliment / nourishment / nutriment / nutrition / sustenance / victuals
- more generic words: food / nutrient = any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- more specific terms:
- milk = produced by mammary glands of female mammals for feeding their young
- course = part of a meal served at one time
- delicacy / kickshaw / dainty / goody / treat = something considered choice to eat
- dish = a particular item of prepared food
- fast food = inexpensive food (hamburgers or chicken or milkshakes) prepared and served quickly
- finger food = food to be eaten with the fingers
- ingesta = solid and liquid nourishment taken into the body through the mouth
- kosher = food that fulfills the requirements of Jewish dietary law
- repast / meal = the food served and eaten at one time
- mess = soft semiliquid food
- mince = food chopped into small bits
- puree = food prepared by cooking and straining or processed in a blender
- stodge = heavy and filling (and usually starchy) food
- wheat germ = embryo of the wheat kernel
- vitamin = any of a group of organic substances essential in small quantities to normal metabolism
- the act of supplying food and nourishment
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of alimentation: feeding
- more generic words: provision / supply / supplying = the activity of supplying or providing something
- more specific terms:
- lactation / suckling = feeding an infant by giving suck at the breast
- infant feeding = feeding an infant
- forced feeding / gavage = feeding that consists of the delivery of a nutrient solution (as through a nasal tube) to someone who cannot or will not eat
- intravenous feeding / IV = administration of nutrients through a vein
- overfeeding = excessive feeding
- spoonfeeding = feeding someone (as a baby) from a spoon
- total parenteral nutrition / hyperalimentation / TPN = administration of a nutritionally adequate solution through a catheter into the vena cava
Alternative definition of the noun alimentation
- feeding, being fed; the provision of food and other necessities.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for alimentation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Douglas R. Mader, Stephen J. Divers
Continued fluid therapy is critical in the immediate postoperative period, but a return to normal alimentation is the hallmark of recovery. Typically, reptiles return to normal function and behaviors quicker after endoscopic procedures compared ...
Pediatric Urology (2009)
by John G. Gearhart, Richard C. Rink, Pierre D. E. Mouriquand
Enteral Alimentation Enteral alimentation is the preferred method of nutrition in patients with an intact gastrointestinal tract. Enteral feedings have been demonstrated to stimulate the immune system and to preserve gastrointestinal function ...
CliffsTestPrep: NCLEX-RN (2007)
by American BookWorks Corporation
Alimentation is the act of supplying food and nourishment. Hyperalimentation or total parenteral nutrition supplies nourishment using the intravenous route. The TPN solution can be adjusted to meet each ...
Principles and Practice by R. Ausman
The balancing act between oral and parenteral alimentation is a daily duty and a cooperative adventure. As the patient moves into the phase of full oral support, the dietitian becomes the dominant team member, responsible for maintaining the ...
by Mervat Nasser, Melanie Katzman, Richard Gordon
Suffice it say that alimentation is an essential feature of living forms and that in humans it 'has to have' a cognitive structure, model, or component, as does virtually any other ...
Diseases of the Fetus and Infant by Richard J. Martin, Avroy A. Fanaroff, Michele C. Walsh
enteral alimentation is a significant risk factor for disease in premature infants. Historical reports identified the onset of NEC several days ...
The American Homoeopathist (1888)
Austin Flint says: " Alimentation is an essential factor in therapeutics, as applied to acute and chronic diseases. . . . When disease destroys life by slow asthenia or ...
a popular account of heat, light, air, aliment, and cleansing in their scientific principles and domestic applications by Edward Livingston Youmans
As excessive alimentation is a universal danger, the vegetarian is most protected, ...
by Peggy C. Leonard
Alimentation is the process of providing nutrition for the body. After becoming available to the body cells, nutrients are used for growth, generation of energy, and elimination of wastes, all of which result from this process (metabolism).
Clinical Bioethics (1994)
Theory and Practice in Medical Ethical Decision-making by James F. Drane
Medically supplied alimentation is a technical procedure designed for certain medical ...
by David A. Stringer, Paul S. Babyn
MISCELLANEOUS PROCEDURES Percutaneous Gastrostomy Enteral alimentation is a crucial component of care for the malnourished child who cannot eat. Until recently, long-term alimentation was delivered through nasogastric tubes or ...
by PHILIP FORSANG AND SERGE-DELORS NDIKUM
des installations nécessitant une alimentation auxiliaire doit être tel que ces installations soient capables de répondre aux dispositions du tableau 8-1 concernant les délais de commutation maximum définis au Chapitre 1er. Aides visuelles ...
by Robert A. Ronzio
alimentation The physiologic processes by which food nurtures and maintains the body. These include chewing (MASTICATION), swallowing, and digesting food. Alimentation also encompasses the ...
by Ben R. Guttery
Societe Generale d'Alimentation (SGA) (1970s) Societe Generale d'Alimentation (SGA) is the largest food wholesale and retail seller in the country and also operated Douglas DC-4 for business purposes. Cargo space was sold on each ...
by M. F. Fuller
Séminaire sur la digestion, la nutrition et l'alimentation du dromadaire, ...
by Mary de Young
Alimentation,. Gavage). A method of putting food into the body of patients who were incapable of feeding themselves, or who refused to do so. Ina statement that captured the seventeenth century take on insanity, William Salmon declared that ...
A Systematic Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Surgery by John Ashhurst
When alimentation becomes diflicult, the stomach-tube may be cautiously used at first. At a later date a catheter may be retained in the aasoplmgus a few days at a time ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alimentation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about alimentation
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Cedric Duchamp
Photo credit: Damien Clauzel
Photo credit: glasseyes view
- Boulangerie - Alimentation
Photo credit: fred_v
- South West France - alimentation
Fine brickwork and antique shutters for a grocery store in Castelsagrat,Lot et Garonne
Photo credit: FrenchDuck
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about alimentation
Video shows what alimentation means. feeding, being fed, the provision of food and other necessities.. Alimentation Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
Scrabble value of A1L1I1M3E1N1T1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 12-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of alimentation to see it in context!