On this page:
- Definition of the noun alkane
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alkane
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alkane
- Photos about Alkane
- Video language resources about Alkane
- Quotes about Alkane
- Scrabble value of A1L1K5A1N1E1
- Anagrams of ALKANE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alkane
What does alkane mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alkanes
- a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of alkane: alkane series / methane series / paraffin / paraffin series
- more generic term: aliphatic compound = organic compound that is an alkane or alkene or alkyne or their derivative
- more specific words:
- butane = occurs in natural gas
- aminoalkane / amine = a compound derived from ammonia by replacing hydrogen atoms by univalent hydrocarbon radicals
- ethane / C2H6 = a colorless odorless alkane gas used as fuel
- heptane = a colorless volatile highly flammable liquid obtained from petroleum and used as an anesthetic or a solvent or in determining octane ratings
- hexane = a colorless flammable liquid alkane derived from petroleum and used as a solvent
- methane = a colorless odorless gas used as a fuel
Alternative definition of the noun alkane
- [organic chemistry] Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., having a chemical formula of the form CnH2n+2.
Alkane: In organic chemistry, an alkane, or paraffin, is a saturated hydrocarbon. Alkanes consist only of hydrogen and carbon atoms and all bonds are single bonds. Alkanes have the general chemical formula CₙH₂ₙ₊₂. Alkanes belong to a homologous series of organic compounds in which the members differ by a molecular mass of 14.03u. There are two main commercial sources: crude oil and natural gas.
- also known as Parafin, 烷烃
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alkane
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sophie Hermans, Thierry Visart de Bocarme
The resulting reaction, transformation of two ethane molecules into one methane molecule and one propane molecule, is called alkane metathesis by analogy with what is observed for olefins. It can be decomposed into three steps: ...
Modern Oncology (2012)
An A-Z of Key Topics by Alastair Munro
An alkyl group is simply an alkane that has lost a hydrogen atom. An alkane is an organic molecule consisting of chains, either branched or unbranched, ...
by Arthur Winter
to an alkane is a way of converting a meta director into an ortho-para activator. Problem Solving: Synthesis of Substituted Benzenes Figure 16-16: ...
by John Moore, Conrad Stanitski
An alkane is a hydrocarbon that contains the greatest possible ratio of hydrogen to carbon. Alkanes are the main components of automobile fuels and motor oils. Table 2.8 provides some information about the first ten alkanes. The first four ...
by Stephen R. Schaffter
An alkane is a hydrocarbon with single bonds between all atoms. Alkenes are ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
higher alkane. any alkane higher than C8. They occur in fuel oil, diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, and mineral oil. Most are not very toxic. Occupational exposure is mostly by inhalation .
Basic Theory, Measurement, Applications by Daniel Schuster
Equivalent Alkane Carbon Number In the previous section, the ACN was a prominent variable for determining microemulsion phase behavior and maximal stability of o/w and w/o macro- emulsions, using nonionic surfactants. Schechter ...
by P. Somasundaran
The sulfoxidation reaction between Clz—Clg alkane, sulfur dioxide, and oxygen was commercialized as continuous “light-water” process by Hoechstlsgl Sulfoxidation is a photochemical and weakly exothermic reaction that corresponds to the ...
by John O. E. Clark, William Hemsley
butane C4H10 Gaseous alkane, used as a portable supply of fuel. butanedicarboxylic acid Alternative name for adipic acid. butanedioic acid Alternative name for succinic acid. butanol ...
by Herman F. Mark
head groups and hydrophobic (linear alkane) tails. The amphiphilic nature of these molecules leads to a preferred orientation at the air—water interface, where the ...
by Tony Whelan
alkane. and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene should be represented as p] polyimide_ ( PMMA + ABS). That is, a mixture of poly(methyl methacrylate) PMMA polymethyl ...
by Jill Bailey
an alkane .
by Michael R. Peres
Alkane sultone synthesis of sulfoalkyl substituted cyanine dyes. Schouwenaars, M. A. (Gevaert): Reduction gold-fogged silver halide direct- positive emulsions. Yule, J. A. C., and Maurer, R. E. (Kodak Autoscreen Film): ...
The Gardeners' Dictionary (1886)
Enumerating the Plants, Fruits, and Vegetables Desirable for the Garden and Explaining the Terms and Operations Employed in Their Cultivations by George W. Johnson
Alkane't. Anchu'sa tincto'ria.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alkane
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alkane
If you need images about Alkane for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Alkane
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alkane Meaning
Video shows what alkane means. Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., ...
- Definition of Alkane
- Structure of Alkane, Alkene & Alkyne - Explanation
One of the best in the country for Education, Training for ISEET, CET, NEET, NTSE, etc. Bags several ranks every year and their students get admission to ...
- Conformations of Alkane Orbital Description tutorial
Organic Chemistry with Todd Rothman View the full video at...
See also the pronunciation examples of Alkane!
Quotes about Alkane
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'alkane"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of A1L1K5A1N1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALKANE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alkane!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alkane to see it in context!