On this page:
Definition of the noun alkane
What does alkane mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alkanes
- a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of alkane: alkane series / methane series / paraffin / paraffin series
- more generic term: aliphatic compound = organic compound that is an alkane or alkene or alkyne or their derivative
- more specific words:
- butane = occurs in natural gas
- aminoalkane / amine = a compound derived from ammonia by replacing hydrogen atoms by univalent hydrocarbon radicals
- ethane / C2H6 = a colorless odorless alkane gas used as fuel
- heptane = a colorless volatile highly flammable liquid obtained from petroleum and used as an anesthetic or a solvent or in determining octane ratings
- hexane = a colorless flammable liquid alkane derived from petroleum and used as a solvent
- methane = a colorless odorless gas used as a fuel
Alternative definition of the noun alkane
- [organic chemistry] Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., having a chemical formula of the form CnH2n+2.
Alkane: In organic chemistry, an alkane, or paraffin, is a saturated hydrocarbon. Alkanes consist only of hydrogen and carbon atoms and all bonds are single bonds. Alkanes have the general chemical formula CₙH₂ₙ₊₂. Alkanes belong to a homologous series of organic compounds in which the members differ by a molecular mass of 14.03u. There are two main commercial sources: crude oil and natural gas.
- also known as Parafin, 烷烃
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alkane
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Modern Oncology (2012)
An A-Z of Key Topics by Alastair Munro
An alkyl group is simply an alkane that has lost a hydrogen atom. An alkane is an organic molecule consisting of chains, either branched or unbranched, ...
by Arthur Winter
to an alkane is a way of converting a meta director into an ortho-para activator. Problem Solving: Synthesis of Substituted Benzenes Figure 16-16: ...
by John Moore, Conrad Stanitski
An alkane is a hydrocarbon that contains the greatest possible ratio of hydrogen to carbon. Alkanes are the main components of automobile fuels and motor oils. Table 2.8 provides some information about the first ten alkanes. The first four ...
by Stephen R. Schaffter
An alkane is a hydrocarbon with single bonds between all atoms. Alkenes are ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
higher alkane. any alkane higher than C8. They occur in fuel oil, diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, and mineral oil. Most are not very toxic. Occupational exposure is mostly by inhalation .
Basic Theory, Measurement, Applications by Daniel Schuster
Equivalent Alkane Carbon Number In the previous section, the ACN was a prominent variable for determining microemulsion phase behavior and maximal stability of o/w and w/o macro- emulsions, using nonionic surfactants. Schechter ...
alkaline battery alkane extremely reactive. They react violently with water, forming hydroxides and releasing hydrogen gas and heat. Caesium and francium are the most reactive and lithium is the least. alkaline battery A dry cell in which the ...
by George P. Rédei
Alkane: An alkane is a aliphatic molecule joined by a single covalent bond, e.g., CH3—CH3. ▷alkene Alkaptonuria (alcaptonuria, AKU): Alkaptonuria is ...
by Carl Schaschke
alkane A saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon that has the general formula CnH2n+2. Forming a homologous series, the smallest is methane (CH 4), followed by ...
by S. Choudhary
alkane (paraffin) : An organic molecule containing carbon and hydrogen atoms in straight or branched chains, where ...
by Ruth Winter
ALKANE ' See Paraffin. ALKANET ROOT ' Alkane Ferrous Sulfate.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alkane
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about Alkane
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alkane Meaning
Video shows what alkane means. Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., ...
- Definition of Alkane
- Structure of Alkane, Alkene & Alkyne - Explanation
One of the best in the country for Education, Training for ISEET, CET, NEET, NTSE, etc. Bags several ranks every year and their students get admission to ...
- Conformations of Alkane Orbital Description tutorial
Organic Chemistry with Todd Rothman View the full video at...
See also the pronunciation examples of Alkane!
Quotes about Alkane
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'alkane"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of A1L1K5A1N1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALKANE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alkane!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alkane to see it in context!