On this page:
Definition of the noun alkane series
What does alkane series mean as a name of something?
- a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of alkane series: alkane / methane series / paraffin / paraffin series
- more generic term: aliphatic compound = organic compound that is an alkane or alkene or alkyne or their derivative
- more specific words:
- butane = occurs in natural gas
- aminoalkane / amine = a compound derived from ammonia by replacing hydrogen atoms by univalent hydrocarbon radicals
- ethane / C2H6 = a colorless odorless alkane gas used as fuel
- heptane = a colorless volatile highly flammable liquid obtained from petroleum and used as an anesthetic or a solvent or in determining octane ratings
- hexane = a colorless flammable liquid alkane derived from petroleum and used as a solvent
- methane = a colorless odorless gas used as a fuel
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alkane series
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Chemistry (2016)
by Richard Rennie, Jonathan Law
They form a “homologous series (the alkane series) methane (CH4), ethane (C2H6), propane (C3Ha), ...
by Robert A. Lewis
alkane series. A homologous series composed of methane, ethane, propane, butane, etc. The lower members of this series are gases while the high members are waxy solids. alkanesulfonic acid, mixed. RSO3H (R is methyl, ethyl, propyl, mixed). Trade designation for a mixture of methane-, ethane -, and propane sulfonic acids. A strong nonoxidizing, nonsulfonating liquid acid which is thermally stable at moderately high temperatures. Properties: Light amber liquid; ...
by American Heritage Dictionary
▻ The group of alkanes as a whole is called the alkane series or the methane or paraffin series. Its first six members are methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane, and hexane. alkene (al'ken') Any of a group of unsaturated hydrocarbons that have carbon atoms in chains linked by one or more double bonds and that have the general formula CnH2n. Lighter alkenes ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alkane series
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about alkane series
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'alkane series"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of alkane series to find many related words and phrases!