On this page:
Definition of the noun alkane series
What does alkane series mean as a name of something?
- a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of alkane series: alkane / methane series / paraffin / paraffin series
- more generic term: aliphatic compound = organic compound that is an alkane or alkene or alkyne or their derivative
- more specific words:
- butane = occurs in natural gas
- aminoalkane / amine = a compound derived from ammonia by replacing hydrogen atoms by univalent hydrocarbon radicals
- ethane / C2H6 = a colorless odorless alkane gas used as fuel
- heptane = a colorless volatile highly flammable liquid obtained from petroleum and used as an anesthetic or a solvent or in determining octane ratings
- hexane = a colorless flammable liquid alkane derived from petroleum and used as a solvent
- methane = a colorless odorless gas used as a fuel
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for alkane series
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Chemistry (2016)
by Richard Rennie, Jonathan Law
They form a “homologous series (the alkane series) methane (CH4), ethane ( C2H6), propane (C3Ha), butane (C4H10), pentane (C5H12), etc. The lower members of the series are gases; the high-molecular weight alkanes are waxy solids.
by Michael D. Larrañaga, Richard J. Lewis, Sr., Robert A. Lewis
alkane series. A homologous series composed of methane, ethane, propane, butane, etc. The lower members of this series are gases while the high members are waxy solids. alkanesulfonic acid, mixed. RSO3H (R is methyl, ...
A Dictionary of Science (2010)
by Elizabeth A. Martin
They form a *homologous series (the alkane series) methane (CH4), ethane (CZHG), propane (C3H8), butane (C4H10), pentane (C5H12), etc. The lower members of ...
Dictionary of Energy (2014)
by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris
Thus, alkane series. alkylate Oil & Gas. the product of an alkylation reaction, especially a highoctane product from alkylation units that is blended with motor and aviation alkylation gasoline to improve the antiknock value of the fuel.
Oil and Gas Dictionary (1988)
An Encyclopedic Dictionary of Economic and Financial Concepts andTerms by Paul Stevens
It is the main constituent of natural gas and is the first member of the mineral oils 123 ALKANE series of paraffins. It can be used as a fuel or as a petrochemical FEEDSTOCK. methanol (methyl alcohol). A colourless, volatile, flammable and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for alkane series
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about alkane series
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'alkane series"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of alkane series to find many related words and phrases!