The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb allege:
On this page:
Definition of the verb allege
What does allege mean as a doing word?
Allege is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: alleged | alleging | alleges
- report or maintain
- examples: He alleged that he was the victim of a crime | They allege that there was a traffic accident
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of allege: aver / say
- more generic words: assert / asseverate / maintain = state categorically
- more specific word: plead = make an allegation in an action or other legal proceeding, especially answer the previous pleading of the other party by denying facts therein stated or by alleging new facts
Alternative definition of the verb allege
- [obsolete] To lighten, diminish.
- [obsolete, transitive] To state under oath, to plead.
- [archaic] To cite or quote an author or his work for or against.
- [transitive] To adduce (something) as a reason, excuse, support etc.
- [transitive] To make a claim as justification or proof; to make an assertion without proof.
Definition of the verb allege for high school students
- to assert, usually without proof
- example: The policeman had alleged that Marshall committed the crime, but after the investigation turned up no evidence, Marshall was set free.
The verb allege is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for allege
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by CHARLES F. WILLIAMS, THOMAS J. MICHIE
It must also allege such damages as are recoverable, and if on its ...
— An indictment for embezzlement must allege the value or amount of the money or property embezzled ; 1 but the exact amount need not be specified.3 e. Averments as to Directions for Application of Proceeds.
In the Courts of King's Bench and Common Pleas, with Practical Directions and Forms, Arranged Under Each Title by Thomas Lee
To allege diminution, seems therefore to be the assigning of defects in the record sent or returned from below, for error, and praying a writ to the justices of C. P. e.g. who certified the record before, to certify the whole thereof. On alleging ...
Encyclopædia metropolitana; or, Universal dictionary of knowledge, ed. by E. Smedley, Hugh J. Rose and Henry J. Rose. [With] Plates (1845)
by Edward Smedley
ALLEGE. ALLE- GORYE. ALLEVIATE. ALLOCU TION. ALLOT. ALMAGEST. ALMANAC. And fasteth. ALLECT', Allect'ive, ti. Allect'ive, adj. Alli'cient, Alli'ciency. Ad: lacio. Allicio, allcctum, to draw to. To attract, to allure, to entice. They made so ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
ALLEGE. ALLEGIANCE. ALLEGO- RYE. ALLE- VIATE.
by Linda Eisenmann
Plaintiffs must allege that they were discriminated against because employment requirements or conditions either had disparate impact on or ...
by Bryan A. Garner
allege; contend. To allege is formally to state a matter of fact as being true or provable, without yet having proved it. The word once denoted stating under oath, but this meaning no longer applies. To contend, in the advocatory ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for allege
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about allege
If you need images about allege for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about allege
Click on an item to play that video:
- Allege Meaning
Video shows what allege means. To lighten, diminish.. allege pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. allege meaning. Powered by ...
- Snapshot Vocabulary (allege*agony*disperse*incite)
Do not forget to download the PHILOCHKO app from iTUNES or the GOOGLE PLAY STORE...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Allege, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
See also the pronunciation examples of allege!
Quotes about allege
Scrabble value of A1L1L1E1G2E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALLEGE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of allege!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of allege to see it in context!