On this page:
- Definition of the noun allergy
- Phrases with Allergy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allergy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allergy
- Photos about Allergy
- Video language resources about Allergy
- Quotes about Allergy
- Scrabble value of A1L1L1E1R1G2Y4
- Anagrams of ALLERGY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun allergy
What does allergy mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: allergies
- hypersensitivity reaction to a particular allergen; symptoms can vary greatly in intensity
- examples: I have an allergy to pollen. | I have an allergy to milk. | He has a drug allergy. | Constantly blowing his nose in allergy season.
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of allergy: allergic reaction
- more generic term: hypersensitivity reaction = an inappropriate and excessive reaction to an allergen
- more specific terms:
- food allergy = allergic reaction to a substance ingested in food
- type I allergic reaction / immediate allergy / atopic allergy / atopy = an allergic reaction that becomes apparent in a sensitized person only minutes after contact
- serum sickness / serum disease = a delayed allergic reaction to the injection of an antiserum caused by an antibody reaction to an antigen in the donor serum
- type IV allergic reaction / delayed allergy = an allergic reaction that becomes apparent only hours after contact
Alternative definition of the noun allergy
- [pathology, immunology] A disorder of the immune system causing adverse reactions to substances (allergens) not harmful to most and marked by the body's production of histamines and associated with atopy, anaphylaxis, and asthma.
- [pathology] Any condition of hypersensitivity to a substance.
- synonym: intolerance
- Altered susceptibility to a first treatment as exhibited in reaction to a subsequent one.
- [informal] An antipathy, as toward a person or activity.
Allergy is a peer-reviewed medical journal covering the field of allergy and immunology, that is published by John Wiley & Sons on behalf of the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology. It is indexed in PubMed and publishes both original articles and reviews. The current editors-in-chief are Thomas Bieber and Hans-Uwe Simon.
- official website: www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118519659/home
Phrases with Allergy
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allergy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Essentials Of Food Science (2016)
by CTI Reviews
A milk allergy is a food allergy, an adverse immune reaction to one or more of the constituents of milk from any animal (most commonly alpha S1casein, a protein in cow's milk). This milkinduced allergic reaction can involve anaphylaxis, ...
Medicine, Internal medicine by CTI Reviews
An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person's immune...
Medicine, Medicine by CTI Reviews
An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person's immune system reacts to normally harmless substances in the environment. A substance that causes a reaction is called an allergen.
Textbook Of Paediatrics (1989)
by Desai, A.B. (ed.)
Allergy is the term that is applied to this abnormal or altered activity of the cells and tissues (von Pirquet, 1906).
by W. Kiess, T. Werfel, J.M. Spergel
Food allergy refers to an immunologic response to a food that occurs in a susceptible host.
by Carol J. Boushey, Ann M. Coulston, Cheryl L. Rock, Elaine Monsen
Food allergy is a confusing and often misunderstood subject. It is frequently misdiagnosed.
Allergy refers to immune responses to environmental allergens that result in inflammation detrimental to the patient. In contrast, immunity refers to ...
Clinical Immunobiology (2014)
by Fritz H. Bach, Robert A. Good
Introduction Allergy is a term originally used to describe altered immunological reactivity to a foreign material and thus could...
To a clinician, however, allergy refers to a medical subspecialty and research area dealing with diseases of ...
by Hami Alpas, Madeleine Smith, Asylbek Kulmyrzaev
Milk allergy is a food allergy, an adverse immune reaction to a food protein that is normally harmless to the non-allergic individual. Milk protein...
Medicine, Healthcare by CTI Reviews
Allergy is a disorder of the immune system often also referred to as atopy. Allergic reactions occur to normally harmless...
A food allergy is an adverse immune response to a food protein. They are distinct from other adverse responses to food, ...
Be Your Own Beautician (2007)
by Parvesh Handa
Allergy is a state of abnormal sensitivity to a substance or substances. An allergy is what happens when your body detects a foreign substance it doesn't like. Allergies come in almost infinite variety: contact, food or inhalant allergies.
by Joyce I. Boye, Samuel Benrejeb Godefroy
INTRODUCTION Food allergy is an abnormal reaction of the body's immune system to certain foods. Substances in foods...
Food allergy is the most frequent cause of anaphylaxis treated in emergency rooms [7, 8]. Adverse reactions to foods ...
Nursing Diagnosis Handbook (2010)
An Evidence-Based Guide to Planning Care by Betty J. Ackley, Gail B. Ladwig
EB: Although latex allergy is a limited phenomenon, it is nevertheless quite frequent within risk groups.
EB: Latex allergy is an increasingly common condition because the use of latex products is widespread (Eustachio et al, 2003) .
Exercise Immunology (2013)
by Michael Gleeson, Nicolette Bishop, Neil Walsh
IgE-mediated allergy is the most common type of allergic disease, although allergy may involve other immunological mechanisms as seen in contact allergies (affecting the skin) and allergic alveolitis (affecting the lungs). It is important to ...
Food allergy is a known provoking cause of AD in a subset of affected children.” “ A literature search of PubMed and Medline was conducted to review the epidemiology and pathophysiology of AD, with special focus on the role of food allergy ...
by Thomas H. Ollendick, Carolyn S. Schroeder
KOLKO Food Allergy DEFINITION/INCIDENCE/ETIOLOGY Food allergy occurs when the body mistakenly believes that a food is harmful and creates antibodies to that food. When the food is eaten, the antibodies trigger the release of ...
by Robert A. Ronzio
allergy, immediate though they often outgrow them. Individuals who have relatives with allergies are more prone to develop food allergies themselves. Food allergies are more likely to occur with inadequate nutrition, infections, and physical ...
by Carol Turkington, Jeffrey S. Dover
About 3 percent of healthy people are allergic to injectable collagen, used to smooth out facial wrinkles and creases; about half of them experience the allergy after the actual treatment has begun. Once an allergy ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2007)
by Elsevier, Mosby
allergy (al′urje ̄), n a hypersensitive reaction to an allergen; an antigenantibody reaction is manifested in several forms—anaphylaxis, asthma , hay fever, urticaria, angioedema, dermatitis, and stomatitis. Manifestations of ...
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
Latex allergy has become more common and presents a significant hazard in dentistry. See also LATEX DERMATITIS. latex dermatitis A skin inflammation in response to a *hypersensitivity to latex. Irritant contact dermatitis is a common ...
by Sherry Torkos
Today it is estimated that over 5 percent of the population suffer with some type of food allergy. Food reactions are also suspected to play a role in many health problems, such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, arthritis, asthma, eczema, ...
by Martha Craft-Rosenberg, Shelley-Rae Pehler
Food allergies are manageable, and food allergy–related fatalities are 100% preventable. A brighter future is anticipated with increased food allergy awareness and continued advocacy for policies that better ensure the safety of many food ...
Encyclopedia of Cancer (2011)
by Manfred Schwab
Allergy. Michelle C. Turner McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health,
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allergy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Allergy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: photographia
example of the rash Joe regularly gets
Photo credit: Fimb
- Allergy Eye
Photo credit: Care_SMC
- Skin allergy
Photo credit: Manu Manohar Photography
- Allergy advice: Contains Milk
Packet of butter. It contains milk. Who'd a thunk it?
Photo credit: joncallas
Photo credit: M__03&07
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Allergy
Click on an item to play that video:
- Allergy Meaning
Video shows what allergy means. A disorder of the immune system causing adverse reactions to substances (allergens) not harmful to most and marked by the ...
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy to cockroaches (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Allergy to cockroaches: An allergic reaction to tiny protein particles shed or excreted by cockroaches. Asthma can be due to exposure to ...
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy scratch test (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Allergy scratch test: A test in which a small drop of the suspected allergy-provoking substance (allergen) is placed on the skin and the ...
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy desensitization (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Allergy desensitization: Stimulation of the immune system with gradually increasing doses of the substances to which a person is allergic ...
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy soy milk (Medical Dictionary Online)
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy & Infectious Diseases National Institute of
what is the definition of Allergy & Infectious Diseases, National Institute of: One of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the mission of the NIAID is "to ...
- What Is The Definition Of Cow milk allergy - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Honey bee allergy - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
- What Is The Definition Of Immunotherapy, allergy - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
- What Is The Definition Of Allergy immunotherapy (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Allergy immunotherapy: Stimulation of the immune system with gradually increasing doses of the substances to which a person is allergic ...
- What Is The Definition Of Test, allergy scratch
- What Is The Definition Of Peanut allergy Medical School Terminology Dictionary
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Peanut allergy meal
- What Is The Definition Of Test, allergy skin
- What Is The Definition Of Desensitization, allergy - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Definition Of Allergy Disease
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = allergy
See also the pronunciation examples of Allergy!
Quotes about Allergy
Scrabble value of A1L1L1E1R1G2Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALLERGY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Allergy!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Allergy to see it in context!