On this page:
Definition of the noun allmouth
What does allmouth mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- fishes having large mouths with a wormlike filament attached for luring prey
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Lophius Americanus
- synonyms of allmouth: angler / angler fish / anglerfish / goosefish / lotte / monkfish
- more generic terms: acanthopterygian / spiny-finned fish = a teleost fish with fins that are supported by sharp inflexible rays
- part: monkfish = flesh of a large-headed anglerfish of the Atlantic waters of North America
- member of: family Lophiidae / Lophiidae = large-headed marine fishes comprising the anglers
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for allmouth
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John F. Mariani
Also “anglerfish,” “goosefish,” “fishing frog,” and “allmouth.”An Atlantic flatfish that usually dwells at the ocean bottom. Its European counterpart is Lophius piscatorius. The name “monkfish” has been used in print since 1582and issaid torefer.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge, with a New Atlas of the World by William Dwight Whitney
w allmouth ...
The Century Dictionary (1914)
An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language
allmouth (äl"mouth), n. [( all + mouth.] A name of the fish otherwise known as the common angler, Lophius piscatorius. allness ...
The Encyclopedia Americana (1903)
Editor in Chief, Frederick Converse Beach ... Managing Editor, George Edwin Rines ... Associate and Advisory Editors ... Simon Newcomb ... James E. Creighton ... Robert S. Woodward
Allmouth, a fish. See GOOSEFISH .
An International Work of Reference by John Huston Finley
Moxxrisn, ALLMOUTH. W'imz CAPE, KETTLEMAN, FISHING Fnoc, SEA DEVIL. and BELLows FISH, occurs commonly in shallow waters on both coasts of the North Atlantic, ranging southward as far as Cape Hatteras and the Mediterranean .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for allmouth
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1L1L1M3O1U1T1H4
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of allmouth to find many related words and phrases!