Allow appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Sam, allow two cots to cow two llamas.
- To lay aside poor dissipated acts in a non-AWOL lair, I allow an onanist cadet a piss: "I drooped!" I say a lot.
On this page:
- Definition of the verb allow
- Phrases with Allow
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allow
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allow
- Usage statistics about allow
- Photos about Allow
- Video language resources about Allow
- Quotes about Allow
- Scrabble value of A1L1L1O1W4
- Share this page
The word allow is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb allow
What does allow mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: allowed | allowing | allows
- make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen
- example: This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] to be [Predicate] He felt the choice to be a bad one [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] The populace feel that the RIAA has too much power [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] He denied the horrid woman's statement
Verbs with Predicative Complements (with the same syntax): believe, conjecture, deny, doubt, expect, feel, foreknow, foresee, foretell, guess, hold, infer, know, mean, presume, prophesy, realize, recognize, repute, speculate, surmise, suspect, swear, trust, vaticinate.
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of allow: let / permit
- more specific word: pass = allow to go without comment or censure
- consent to, give permission
- examples: I cannot allow you to see your exam | They allow him to write the letter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] She admitted us Admit Verbs: admit, exclude, include, permit, welcome [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Location, locative adverb] She admitted us here [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location, but not region] She allowed us near the house [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] They allow birds Allow Verbs: approve, permit, sanction, tolerate [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, arbitrary control with -ing] They allow smoking [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with to be] They allow us to be smokers [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, possessive with -ing] They allow our smoking [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] They allow that we smoke [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] He ordered John Order Verbs: beseech, call, invite, need, okay, permit, summon, want [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] [Proposition, object control with infinitive] He ordered John to eat his sloth
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of allow: countenance / let / permit
- antonym of allow: disallow
- more generic terms: accept / consent / go for = give an affirmative reply to
- more specific terms:
- stick out / tolerate / stomach / support / digest / endure / put up / suffer / abide / brook / stand / bear = put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- furlough = grant a leave to
- give = allow to have or take
- tolerate / permit = allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
- authorise / authorize / clear / pass = grant authorization or clearance for
- include / let in / admit = allow participation in or the right to be part of
- privilege / favour / favor = bestow a privilege upon
- decriminalise / decriminalize / legitimatise / legitimatize / legitimate / legitimise / legitimize / legalise / legalize = make legal
- trust = allow without fear
- allow in / intromit / let in / admit = allow to enter
- let have
- example: Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonym of allow: grant
- antonym of allow: deny
- more generic word: give = transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
- more specific words:
- give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause
- make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain
- allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something
- example: I allow for this possibility
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of allow: take into account
- more generic terms: calculate / count on / estimate / figure / forecast / reckon = judge to be probable
- more specific term: budget for = calculate enough money for
- afford possibility
- allow the other (baseball) team to score
- grant as a discount or in exchange
- allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
Alternative definition of the verb allow
- [transitive] To grant, give, admit, accord, afford, or yield; to let one have.
- [transitive] To acknowledge; to accept as true; to concede; to accede to an opinion.
- [transitive] To grant (something) as a deduction or an addition; especially to abate or deduct;
- [transitive] To grant license to; to permit; to consent to.
- To not bar or obstruct.
- [intransitive] To acknowledge or concede.
- [transitive] To take into account by making an allowance.
- [transitive] To render physically possible
Phrases with Allow
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Allow
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Kant's Theory of Mind (2000)
An Analysis of the Paralogisms of Pure Reason by Karl Ameriks
All Kant need allow is that there is some absolute reality underlying us, and that there is some absolute reality responsible for the synthesis that is our knowledge. These admissions do not amount to any specific knowledge of a noumenal soul ...
by Mary Kosut
Social News Sites Social news Websites allow users to select and recommend published news stories. Slashdot, started in 1997, was one of the first social news sites. Slashdot is focused primarily on science and technology news stories.
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
A LG A, ALGAE - ALLOW ONESELF TO SATISFY WHIM ANACONDA OR PYTHON - ANDEAN BEAST OF BURDEN ANGULAR DISTANCE. alga, algae: algology, diatom, desmid, kelp, lichen, plankton, rockweed, seaweed, seawrack, ...
Encyclopedia of Disability (2005)
by Gary L Albrecht
Therefore, computer software accessibility refers to the degree to which a computer program or computer system's properties allow it to be used by the widest variety of users with abilities and disabilities. This also entails accessibility of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Allow
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about allow
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb allow:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb allow:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb allow and its most common antonyms:
Photos about Allow
If you need images about Allow for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Allow
Click on an item to play that video:
- Allow Meaning
Video shows what allow means. To grant, give, admit, accord, afford, or yield; to let one have.. To acknowledge; to accept as true; to concede; to accede to an ...
- Don't Allow the Political Correctness to Dilute the True Meaning of Christmas
Mister Speaker, religious and ethnic communities from around the world come to Canada to find freedom, peace and a better way of life. Canada has a long ...
- Pope on Christmas: Don't allow consumerism to overshadow the meaning of the celebration
- Stop deprivation of meaning: Allow yourself to be surprised!
In disorders of the psyche (such as depression, mania and schizophrenia) the facial display of surprise is seldom. Surprise is a short time emotion in which ...
- 5th grade ELL Video Vocabulary - allow
- Explanation of how an acrylic die board would allow you to align / register your material.
- UPSC Row Hits Parliament, Govt Assures Won't Allow Any Language Bias- Focus News
After the government urged the Union Public Service Commission to postpone the Civil Services Preliminary Exam, the issue was raised in Parliament on ...
- Elohim~Light Collective Allow Love~Light Language Message
Elohim~Emissaries of The Light Collective~Allow New Love to enter your heart space...Light Language Message.
- How you say allow this language
See also the pronunciation examples of Allow!
Quotes about Allow
Scrabble value of A1L1L1O1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Allow to see it in context!