The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alloy:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun alloy
- Definition of the verb alloy
- Phrases with Alloy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alloy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alloy
- Photos about Alloy
- Videos about Alloy
- Quotes about Alloy
- Scrabble value of A1L1L1O1Y4
- Anagrams of ALLOY
- Share this page
Alloy (a combination; a mixture of two or more metals) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alloy
What does alloy mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alloys
- a mixture containing two or more metallic elements or metallic and nonmetallic elements usually fused together or dissolving into each other when molten
- example: brass is an alloy of zinc and copper
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of alloy: metal
- more generic word: mixture = a substance consisting of two or more substances mixed together
- more specific terms:
- heavy metal = a metal of relatively high density (specific gravity greater than about 5) or of high relative atomic weight
- 18-karat gold = an alloy that contains 75 per cent gold
- 22-karat gold = an alloy that contains 87 per cent gold
- oreide / oroide = alloy of copper and tin and zinc
- dental amalgam / amalgam = an alloy of mercury with another metal (usually silver) used by dentists to fill cavities in teeth
- fusible metal = an alloy with a low melting point and used as solder and in safety plugs and sprinkler fuses
- electrum = an alloy of gold and silver
- pewter = any of various alloys of tin with small amounts of other metals
- pinchbeck = an alloy of copper and zinc that is used in cheap jewelry to imitate gold
- pot metal = an alloy of copper and lead used especially for making large pots
- solder = an alloy (usually of lead and tin) used when melted to join two metal surfaces
- white gold = a pale alloy of gold usually with platinum or nickel or palladium
- type metal = an alloy of tin and lead and antimony used to make printing type
- bearing metal / white metal = an alloy (often of lead or tin base) used for bearings
- Babbitt metal / babbitt = an alloy of tin with some copper and antimony
- Britannia metal = an alloy similar to pewter
- steel = an alloy of iron with small amounts of carbon; widely used in construction
- cheoplastic metal = any alloy that fuses at low temperatures and can be used molding artificial teeth
- copper-base alloy = any alloy whose principal component is copper
- dental gold = an alloy of gold used in dentistry
- nickel-base alloy / nickel alloy = an alloy whose main constituent is nickel
- German silver / nickel silver = a silver-white alloy containing copper and zinc and nickel
- pyrophoric alloy = an alloy that emits sparks when struck or scratched with steel
- shot metal = an alloy that is 98% lead and 2% arsenic
- sterling silver = a silver alloy with no more than 7.5% copper
- tambac / tombac / tombak = an alloy of copper and zinc (and sometimes arsenic) used to imitate gold in cheap jewelry and for gilding
- Wood's alloy / Wood's metal = a fusible alloy that is half bismuth plus lead, tin, and cadmium
- substance: primary solid solution / solid solution = a homogeneous solid that can exist over a range of component chemicals
- the state of impairing the quality or reducing the value of something
Alternative definition of the noun alloy
- a metal that is a combination of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal.
Definition of the verb alloy
What does alloy mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: alloyed | alloying | alloys
- lower in value by increasing the base-metal content
- make an alloy of
Alternative definition of the verb alloy
- mix or combine; often used of metals
- ALLOY is an Aviation waypoint.
- Alloy a.k.a. Alloy, West Virginia: Alloy is an unincorporated community in Fayette County, West Virginia, United States. Alloy is located along the Kanawha River and U.S. Route 60 5 miles southwest of Gauley Bridge. Alloy was originally known as Boncar until the mid-1930s. Both the original placename and the current placename refer to the silicon alloys plant that still operates here. The metals plant was originally the Electro Metallurgical Co.; a unit of Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation. Alloy has a post office with ZIP code 25002.
- read more about Alloy, West Virginia
- "Alloy" is the debut album by heavy metal act Trillium. It was released in 2011 by the Italian record label Frontiers Records in Europe.
- "Alloy" is the fourth studio album by the Finnish funeral doom band Skepticism.
- genre: Doom metal
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Alloy" is a musical album of Silo.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Alloy" is a musical album of Boiled in Lead.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Alloy" is a musical single of Darkhalo.
- "Alloy" is a musical album of Calumet-Hecla.
- Alloy: An alloy is a material composed of two or more metals or a metal and a nonmetal. An alloy may be a solid solution of the elements, a mixture of metallic phases or an intermetallic compound with no distinct boundary between the phases. Solid solution alloys give a single solid phase microstructure, while partial solutions exhibit two or more phases that may or may not be homogeneous in distribution, depending on the thermal history of the material. An inter-metallic compound has one other alloy or pure metal embedded within another pure metal.
- also known as โลหะผสม
- Alloy: In computer science and software engineering, Alloy is a declarative specification language for expressing complex structural constraints and behavior in a software system. Alloy provides a simple structural modeling tool based on first-order logic. The mathematical underpinnings of the language were heavily influenced by the Z notation, although the syntax of Alloy owes more to languages such as Object Constraint Language. Alloy is targeted at the creation of micro-models that can then be automatically checked for correctness. Alloy specifications can be checked using the Alloy Analyzer.
- developer: Daniel Jackson
- Alloy is a Hierarchical-Model-View-Controller web application framework for producing web applications with PHP 5.3 and above.
- official website: www.alloyframework.org
Phrases with Alloy
Phrases starting with the word Alloy:
Phrases ending with the word Alloy:
- nickel alloy
- wood's alloy
- Ternary Alloy
- Eutectic Alloy
- Titanium alloy
- Magnesium alloy
- pyrophoric alloy
- copper-base alloy
- nickel-base alloy
- Shape memory alloy
- Skin Forming Alloy
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alloy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Innovative Materials for Processes in Energy Systems - For Fuel Cells, Heat Pumps and Sorption Systems (2011)
alloy is the most appropriate material because of its high- permeability to hydrogen and durability at temperatures higher than 300 °C .
The structural energy needed for calculating the elastic constants of a disordered alloy is an ensemble average of the total energy over the distribution of the alloying atoms under strains. It has been demonstrated (Ferreira et al., 1989) that the ...
Aluminum is the inner material and aluminum-magnesium alloy is the load bearing material. In this paper, fatigue test and elastic-plastic analysis for above laminated plate specimens were taken to further study the material mechanical ...
8th International Conference, TACAS 2002, Held as Part of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2002, Grenoble, France, April 8-12, 2002. Proceedings by Joost-Pieter Katoen, Perdita Stevens
Alloy is a lightweight language for software modelling. It's designed to be flexible and expressive, and yet amenable to fully automatic simulation and checking. At its core, Alloy is a simple first order logic extended with relational operators.
Istc/cstic 2009 (cistc) (2009)
by David Huang
alloy is the most widely used phase change material for PCM application. Recently, a confined structure is thought to reduce the reset current and thermal cross talk with a simple integration process comparing with the ...
Existence and Regularity Properties of the Integrated Density of States of Random Schrödinger Operators (2008)
by Ivan Veselic
∑ k∈Zd is called alloy type potential. The function u is called single site potential. Let H0 := −∆+V per be a periodic Schr ̈odinger operator ...
by Kristi Lew
An alloy is a mixture of two or more elements. At least one of the elements in an alloy is a metal, and alloys are usually made to improve the properties of the metal. Steel can be made by mixing iron with carbon. Other elements, such as ...
Surgery of the Hip (2012)
by Daniel J. Berry, Jay Lieberman
alloy is a two-phase alloy containing an aluminum-rich HCP ...
Proceedings of the International Conference on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies by Scott M. Russell
NiTi shape memory alloy is a potential material for orthopedic surgery. Because of the high nickel content of NiTi, it is possible that nickel may dissolve from the material due to corrosion and cause unfavorable effects. The purpose of this work ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
as on film overexpose allow to rest briefly repose, spell allow water to run off drain alloy adulterate, amalgam(ate), blend, brew, coalesce, combination, combine, composite, composition, compound, concoction, conglomerate, cross, debase, ...
by Jürgen Garche, Chris K. Dyer, Patrick T. Moseley, Zempachi Ogumi, David A. J. Rand, Bruno Scrosati
Figure 4 Thin-film alloy membrane on porous metallic substrate. exhibit similar thermal expansion behavior. Therefore, palladium membranes are usually deposited on metallic supports such as stainless steel and inconel. The use of metallic ...
by Charles P. Poole, Jr.
ALLOY DECOMPOSITION ALLOY DECOMPOSITION A rst-order phase transition involving the separation of an excess doping element in the form of a new phase, or the separation of a pure component from a supersaturated solid solution ...
Materials, Processes and Equipment by David F. Tver
alloy steels, cold work • 9 is made to mix them. Thus, molten lead and molten zinc will not dissolve in each other completely [unless the temperature is in excess of 1468°F (798°C)]. Instead a layer of molten zinc (containing some dissolved ...
by Mel Schwartz
white alloys used for machinery bearings, the term now applies to almost any white bearing alloy with either tin or lead (Pb) base. The alloy consists of 88.9% tin, 7.4 % ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alloy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alloy
Click on an item to view that photo:
It looks fake, doesn't it?
Photo credit: Amy Loves Yah
Photo credit: ALEXMOFFAT1
Photo credit: aagay
- Redmax alloy rear mudguard.
Redmax alloy mudguards
Photo credit: REDMAXSPEEDSHOP.COM
- Redmax alloy rear mudguard.
New wider rear mudguard in alloy by Redmax .
Photo credit: REDMAXSPEEDSHOP.COM
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Alloy
Click on an item to play that video:
- ALLOY - a quick definition
A quick definition of alloy. Chem Fairy: Louise McCartney Director: Michael Harrison Written and Produced by Kimberly Hatch Harrison.
- Alloy Meaning
Video shows what alloy means. A metal that is a combination of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal.. An admixture; something added which ...
- PED4 Alloy Finger Explanation & Proper Use
How to properly use the PED4 Alloy Finger...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = alloy
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = superconducting alloy
See also the pronunciation examples of Alloy!
Quotes about Alloy
If you are wise, look after your house; love your wife without alloy.
more quotes about alloy...
Scrabble value of A1L1L1O1Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALLOY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alloy!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alloy to see it in context!