On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adverb aloft
What does aloft mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- at or on or to the masthead or upper rigging of a ship
- example: climbed aloft to unfurl the sail
- example: the good news sent her spirits aloft
- at or to great height; high up in or into the air
- examples: eagles were soaring aloft | dust is whirled aloft
- in the higher atmosphere above the earth
- example: weather conditions aloft are fine
Alternative definition of the adverb aloft
- in the air; in the sky
- above, overhead, in a high place; up
- [nautical] in the top, at the masthead, or on the higher yards or rigging.
"Aloft" is a 2014 drama film written and directed by Claudia Llosa starring Jennifer Connelly, Cillian Murphy and Mélanie Laurent. The film premiered in competition at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.
- also known as Cry/Fly, No Llopes Vuella
- countries: United States of America, Canada, Spain, France
- language: English Language
- producers: Ibón Cormenzana, Phyllis Laing, José María Morales
- executive producers: Ignasi Estapé, Sandra Hermida, Mark Johnson, Miguel Morales, Jérôme Vidal
- production design by Eugenio Caballero
- art direction by Réjean Labrie
- written by Claudia Llosa
- Jennifer Connelly as Nana Kunning
- Mélanie Laurent as Jannia Ressmore
- Cillian Murphy as Ivan
- Oona Chaplin as Alice
- Ian Tracey as Hans
- Peter McRobbie as Ike
- William Shimell as Newman
- Zen McGrath as Ivan
- Andy Murray as Lance
- Winta McGrath as Gully
- Nancy Drake as Old Woman
- Carson Nattrass as Officer
- Cam Gates as Volunteer
- Allan Wallace Dunkeld as Boy at hotel
- Erika Marxx as Woman 3
- music by Michael Brook
- genre: Drama
- released on
- read more about Aloft (film)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aloft
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Third Edition by Donald G. Frantz, Norma Jean Russell
iki'tsiihtsi Vta; put aloft/lift; ki'tsiihtsiisa! put it...
A trilingual Dictionary being a comprehensive lexicon in English, Urdú and Hindí, exhibiting the syllabication, pronunciation and etymology of English words, with their explanation in English, and in Urdú and Hindí in the Roman characters (1865)
aloft, aloud, greatly, powerfully ; n. an elevated place— Buland yá baland, murtafa', mushkil, mutakabbir, 'álí, amir yá zi-'izzat, tund yá sakht, píráb. giráh ; ad.
by Norman Blake
Gaskell's Compendium of Forms, Educational, Social, Legal and Commercial, Embracing a Complete Self-teaching Course in Penmanship and Bookkeeping, and Aid to English Composition ; Together with the Laws and By-laws of Social Etiquette, and Business Law and Commercial Forms, .. Forming a Complete Encyclopedia of Reference (1882)
by George Arthur Gaskell
N the tempest of life, when the wave and the gale Are around and above, if thy footing should fail— Ifthine eye should grow dim, and thy caution depart— “ Look aloft " and be firm, and be fearless of heart If ...
Aloft(2004), and The Surrendered (2010).
The New Universal English Dictionary ... To which is added, a dictionary of cant words ... The fourth edition, carefully corrected by Mr. Buchanan, etc (1760)
by Nathan BAILEY
'ELEVATE 5 "exalted, raised aloft. On each side an imperial city stood, Visith tow'r: and temples proudly tip- wate ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aloft
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aloft
Click on an item to view that photo:
at the David Whitney
Photo credit: openprivacy
Photo credit: mindfrieze
Naginder and Kiran Singh
Photo credit: dargie.lynch
This was an amazingly tall grass about 7ft high!!!
Photo credit: zenera
Photo credit: 27teams
Photo credit: Lindblom
Photo credit: RichardBowen
Photo credit: grongar
Photo credit: BLUE • ǝnןq
Photo credit: openprivacy
Photo credit: fudj
Photo credit: KNLphotos2010
Photo credit: Jeffrey
Photo credit: Kylie_Jaxxon
Photo credit: jumpinjimmyjava
Photo credit: Muffet
- Aloft marine trees
Photo credit: Luis Vidal (Lois)
- Birds aloft
Photo credit: Kevin Hutchinson
- Discs aloft
Photo credit: Stephen Edmonds
- Aloft Hotel
The Aloft Hotel under construction in the Park East corridor.
Photo credit: compujeramey
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aloft
Click on an item to play that video:
View more videos about Come Aloft.
See also the pronunciation examples of Aloft!
Quotes about Aloft
Scrabble value of A1L1O1F4T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALOFT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aloft!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aloft to see it in context!