Aloof appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Drab as a fool, aloof as a bard.
- Drab as a fool, as aloof as a bard.
- Go, droop aloof, sides reversed, is "fool a poor dog".
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective aloof
- Definition of the adverb aloof
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aloof
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aloof
- Photos about Aloof
- Videos about Aloof
- Quotes about Aloof
- Scrabble value of A1L1O1O1F4
- Anagrams of ALOOF
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective aloof
What does aloof mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- remote in manner
Alternative definition of the adjective aloof
- Reserved and remote; either physically or emotionally distant
Definition of the adjective aloof for high school students
- reserved, distant
- example: The scientist could sometimes seem aloof, as if he didn't care about his friends or family, but really he was just thinking about quantum mechanics.
The adjective aloof is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Definition of the adverb aloof
What does aloof mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- in an aloof manner
- example: the local gentry and professional classes had held aloof for the school had accepted their sons readily enough
Alternative definition of the adverb aloof
- At or from a distance, but within view, or at a small distance; apart; away.
- Without sympathy; unfavorably.
ALOOF is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as ALOOF waypoint, waypoint ALOOF, fix ALOOF, ALOOF fix
Aloof is a breed temperament.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aloof
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Julia Cresswell
Aloof was originally a nautical term for an order to steer a ship as close as possible towards the wind. It literally means 'to windward', loof (or luff ) being an old term meaning 'windward direction'. The idea was that keeping the bow of the ship ...
2,856 Words You Must Know by Mark Phillips
Our team captain said, “Okay, now we're going to give that tattletale the silent treatment—and remember, that doesn't mean just maintaining silence; it means maintaining aloof silence.” also ran (ÔL-sō ran) n. Technically, an also-ran is a horse ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
The strong may fight aloof; Ancæus try'd force too near, and by presuming dy'd. Dryd. Fables. □ 3. In a figurative fense, it is used to import art or cunning in conversation, by which a man holds , the principal question at a distance. — Nor do we ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
* ALOOF, adv. [all off, that is, quite off. ] r.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aloof
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aloof
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: peretzpup
Photo credit: Garrett Powers
Photo credit: zaigee
Photo credit: baslow
Photo credit: kilgarron
Photo credit: Treforlutions TreVizionz
Photo credit: ryancboren
Photo credit: oinonio
- Aloof Goose
On Compstall reservoir, near Stockport.
Photo credit: Smabs Sputzer
- Apart and Aloof
Cold. (This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Please provide attribution and a link back to this web page in a manner that associates the image with the image credit.)
Photo credit: wwward0
Photo credit: devasTated_cZar
- Aloof Angus
A picture of Angus as he stares longingly towards a better life...
Photo credit: leosaumurejr
- Aloof Seal
Photo credit: owenjell
- Looking aloof!
Photo credit: Michael Khor
- Aloof but together
Photo credit: [email protected]
- Revlon Aloof
Photo credit: JenPolishAholic
View more pictures about The Aloof.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Aloof
Click on an item to play that video:
- Aloof Meaning
Video shows what aloof means. At or from a distance, but within view, or at a small distance; apart; away.. Without sympathy; unfavorably.. aloof pronunciation.
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Aloof, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Vocabulary Aloof
- How to Pronounce Aloof (Urban Slang Word)
Expand your vocabulary and learn how to say new words...
- Aloof - Keep Your Head to the Wind - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Aloof!
Quotes about Aloof
When I was working on Eye of the Beholder, I played a character who is so aloof that my whole lifestyle became very aloof. If someone knocked on my door, there was a part of me that went into a rage, because I wanted to be isolated and alone. (Ashley Judd)
more quotes about aloof...
Scrabble value of A1L1O1O1F4
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALOOF
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aloof!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aloof to see it in context!