The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun alternate:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb alternate:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective alternate
- Definition of the noun alternate
- Definition of the verb alternate
- Phrases with Alternate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alternate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alternate
- Photos about Alternate
- Video language resources about Alternate
- Quotes about Alternate
- Scrabble value of A1L1T1E1R1N1A1T1E1
- Anagrams of ALTERNATE
- Share this page
Alternate is a member of the word family alter, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective alternate
What does alternate mean as an attribute of a noun?
- every second one of a series
- serving or used in place of another
- occurring by turns; first one and then the other
- of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired
Alternative definition of the adjective alternate
- Being or succeeding by turns; one following the other in succession of time or place; by turns first one and then the other; hence, reciprocal.
- [mathematics] Designating the members in a series, which regularly intervene between the members of another series, as the odd or even numbers of the numerals; every other; every second.
- [US] Other or alternative.
- [botany] Distributed, as leaves, singly at different heights of the stem, and at equal intervals as respects angular divergence. --Gray.
Definition of the noun alternate
What does alternate mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alternates
- someone who takes the place of another person
Alternative definition of the noun alternate
- That which alternates with something else; vicissitude.
- A substitute; an alternative; one designated to take the place of another, if necessary, in performing some duty.
- [mathematics] A proportion derived from another proportion by interchanging the means.
- [US] A replacement of equal or greater value or function.
- [heraldry] Figures or tinctures that succeed each other by turns.
Definition of the verb alternate
What does alternate mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: alternated | alternating | alternates
- go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or abstract] [Verb] [Patient, plural] Herman connected the computers | The merger associated the two companies [Agent - being or abstract] [Verb] [Patient 1] with [Patient 2] The merger associated company A with company B [Patient, plural] [Verb] Plays and ballets alternate [Patient, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs mix well | The pieces interconnect easily | These computers connected well [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] with [Patient 2] Folk songs alternate well with pop songs [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] with [Patient 2] Company A associated with Company B
Verbs of Combining (with the same syntax): coalesce, coincide, consolidate, contrast, correlate, crisscross, entwine, harmonize, interchange, interconnect, interlace, interlink, interlock, intermingle, interrelate, intersperse, intertwine, interweave, mate, rhyme, unify, unite.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of alternate: jump
- more generic words: alter / change / vary = become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence
- exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
- be an understudy or alternate for a role
- reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- do something in turns
Alternative definition of the verb alternate
- [transitive] To perform by turns, or in succession; to cause to succeed by turns; to interchange regularly.
- [intransitive] To happen, succeed, or act by turns; to follow reciprocally in place or time;—followed by with.
- [intransitive] To vary by turns.
The Alternate Computerversand GmbH is the biggest computer hardware retailer in Europe, located in Linden. The company sells its products through their online shop and its own call center. There are two retail stores in Linden.
- also known as Alternate Computerversand GmbH, ALTERNATE GmbH
- official website: www.alternate.nl
"Alternate" is a musical album of Secret Discovery.
- released on (8 years ago)
Phrases with Alternate
- Alternate Angles
- Alternate Tellin
- Alternate history
- Alternate universe
- Alternate Dipperclam
- Alternate Generation
- Alternate-Leaf Dogwood
- Alternate-Ribbed Scallop
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alternate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ethics in Screenwriting (2016)
New Perspectives by Steven Maras
The adjective alternate refers to something happening in turns in the sense of a recurring shift between the real and fictional realities offered by the experience, or a shift in framing, in Bateson's (1987) terms. Despite the 'this is not a game' ...
A Work of Reference : Providing Complete Instructions for the Cure of All Diseases Through Physcultopathy : with General Information on Natural Methods of Health-building and a Description of the Anatomy and Physiology of the Human Body by Bernarr Macfadden
Alternate. e. Bend forward first count, rotate left second count, back to first position third count and ...
As Amended Through April 2010 by Barry Leonard
avenue of approach AAA antiaircraft artillery; arrival and assembly area; assign alternate area AAAS amphibious aviation assault ship AABB American Association of Blood Banks AABWS amphibious assault bulk water system AAC activity ...
by Neil J. Salkind
Alternate assessment is a generic term for a family of methods used to assess the academic performance of students with significant disabilities or limited proficiency with English. A small but meaningful number of students have disabilities or ...
Explaining Not Only the Terms of Art in All the Several Parts of Architecture, But Also Containing the Theory and Practice ...
ALTERNATE Angles are the internal Angles made by a Line cutting two Parallels, and lying on the opposite Sides of ...
by Bryan A. Garner
alternate ness of physical violence. For authority limiting the term to the sense "wordy strife," see the OED, W2, W3, and Eric Partridge's U&A. But in AmE, the word now often denotes some type of scuffling or fighting, especially in police ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alternate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alternate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: vanz
A different view of the Fox.
Photo credit: ThomChap archive
Photo credit: parth joshi
Project 365 - 237
Experimenting with projection.
Photo credit: JuditK
- Alternate Day Fasting
Recently making headlines, alternate day fasting offers a solution to anyone who wants to lose weight and live longer without continuously restricting what they eat.
Some indications show that intermittent fasting can not only support long-term weight loss, but also help to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, decrease the risk of diabetes and can lead to an increased lifespan. The alternate day fasting diet has a major psychological advantage in that people tend to stick to the diet better since, even when they become hungry on fasting days, they know they only have to wait until the next day...
Photo credit: HealthGauge
- Alternate Current Anatomy
Photo credit: ARHiggins
- English Harbor (alternate angle)
Taken from a hallway in a building in Nelson's Dockyard, Antigua.
Photo credit: Ian D. Keating
- Alternate Power Source
Photo credit: jkirkhart35
- Alternate view.
Photo credit: houdini_cs
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Alternate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alternate Definition of Derivative
The Alternate Definition of the Derivative allows a student to quickly calculate the slope of a curve at a given point. This video demonstrates this process through ...
- JFK #9: The Still-Controversial Facts that Point Toward an Alternate Explanation
Narrative set forth by House Select Committee on Assasinations For the full class playlist and reference material, visit ...
- DEFINITION OF A DERIVATIVE ALTERNATE DEFINITION AND ONESIDED DERIVATES
This video explains definations of derivatives, alternate, and one-sided derivativesand how to find them. If you need extra help with these topics, there are other ...
- Alternate definition of linear independence
- Alternate definition of derivative
Alt def of derivative vodcast.
- Alternate angles Meaning
Video shows what alternate angles means. the internal angles made by two (parallel) lines with a third, on opposite sides of it. If the parallels AB, CD, are cut by ...
- Alternate Meaning
Video shows what alternate means. Being or succeeding by turns; one following the other in succession of time or place; by turns first one and then the other; ...
- AP Calc Lesson 14 Alternate forms for the derivative definition
Other ways to write the definition of the derivative and what they teach us.
- Alternate tan x definition derived
Description: From the 3 main trig definitions to an alternate definition of Tangent and how it is derived Especially useful when dealing with the Unit Circle. You'll ...
- AFG - Bars 7/8 - Alternate Picking - Explanation
Rock Guitar Solo. Get the TAB & more at...
- Alternate Text Vocabulary
This vocabulary strategy, used in a middle school co-taught classroom, allows for a wide range of readiness levels.
- Everquest - AA (Alternate Advancement) Video Explanation
- 39c Area of a Triangle alternate definition
- Alternate Definition of a Limit
- Alternate Definition of Pilot by Evan Trofholz
- Guitar Lesson: Alternate Picking and "Lick of the Day" Explanation
- Inverse Matrices kutasoftware #2 explanation, check, and alternate method
- Paul Ruiz-Bueno - The "Alternate" John 3:16 Meaning
- "Pizza Skit" Alternate Ending/Explanation
- Short Explanation Alternate breath
- Team Alternate vs Team Dignitas, ESL Go4Heroes #20 Finales Ronda 1
Team Alternate vs Team Dignitas, ESL Go4Heroes #20 Finales Ronda 1 Todas las novedades de "Heroes of the Storm" y su competitivo: ...
- The Language of Sound and Spirit - Part II, Alternate Version - Album 3 of 6 in 12 Months.
- Well Met vs Team Alternate - ESL Heroes of the Storm Open the Nexus #1 (Semi)
- Team Alternate vs Playn with Pain - ESL Heroes of the Storm Open the Nexus #1 (Finals)
ESL Heroes of the Storm Open the Nexus #1 [2014/11/11] Finals Team Alternate vs Playn with Pain [Bo3] Bracket: ...
- SEO Manager - Demo - Alternate language URL
Demo describing how SEO Manager handles alternate language URLs on EPiServer pages that have more than one page translation. Welcome to this video ...
- Sets: Alternate description of a set
- EF Language & Culture Camp (alternate ending) - Norwich - 2009
- How to ESL (Alternate Road)
- ENH241: Alternate Description of Major Assignments
See also the pronunciation examples of Alternate!
Quotes about Alternate
When humor can be made to alternate with melancholy, one has a success, but when the same things are funny and melancholic at the same time, it's just wonderful. (Francois Truffaut)
more quotes about alternate...
Scrabble value of A1L1T1E1R1N1A1T1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTERNATE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alternate!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alternate to see it in context!