On this page:
- Definition of the noun alternation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alternation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alternation
- Photos about Alternation
- Video language resources about Alternation
- Quotes about Alternation
- Scrabble value of A1L1T1E1R1N1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of ALTERNATION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alternation
What does alternation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: alternations
- successive change from one thing or state to another and back again
Alternative definition of the noun alternation
- The reciprocal succession of (normally two) things in time or place; the act of following and being followed by turns; alternate succession, performance, or occurrence; as, the alternation of day and night, cold and heat, summer and winter, hope and fear.
- The response of the congregation speaking alternately with the minister.
- [linguistics] ablaut
- [logic] The "inclusive or" truth function.
- [mathematics] A sequence that alternates between positive and negative values. (Sometimes wrongly used to mean a permutation.)
Alternation is a Patience game which is played using two decks of playing cards. Its tableau is similar to that of another solitaire game, Stonewall.
- "Alternation" is a musical single of Cherry Moon Trax.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Alternation" is a musical album of Excepter.
- released on (9 years ago)
Alternation is a record label.
- Alternation: In linguistics, an alternation is the phenomenon of a phoneme or morpheme exhibiting variation in its phonological realization. Each of the various realizations is called an alternant. The variation may be conditioned by the phonological, morphological, and/or syntactic environment in which the morpheme finds itself.
- Alternation: In geometry, an alternation or partial truncation, is an operation on a polyhedron or tiling that removes alternate vertices. Only even-sided polyhedra can be alternated, for example the zonohedra. Every 2n-sided face becomes n-sided. Square faces disappear into new edges.
- also known as Snub
- Alternation: In formal language theory and pattern matching, alternation is the union of two sets of strings or patterns. As a pattern, the alternation of a and b matches either a or b.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alternation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Introduction by D. Torgerson
Alternation is a deterministic method of forming groups and can produce equivalent groups as effectively and sometimes more...
Another reason why randomisation is preferable to alternation is that most statistical tests are based upon ...
Issues in Germanic Syntax (1991)
by Werner Abraham, Wim Kosmeijer, Eric J. Reuland
The dative alternation is an interesting area of research because of the theoretical problems associated with it. Neither Chomsky...
One of the main problems associated with the dative alternation is the problem of defining indirect objects.
Guitar For Dummies (2012)
by Mark Phillips, Jon Chappell
Alternation refers to the practice of playing the melody and bass parts one at a time, in an alternating fashion, instead of at the same time. Rather than having the thumb constantly play bass notes while the fingers simultaneously play melody ...
by Monik Charette
Vowel—zero alternation is a thorny problem. Confronted with such data linguists have to discover if they are dealing with a process of vowel epenthesis or of vowel deletion. In French, where the presence of the vowel is not always predictable, ...
WoTUG-23 : Proceedings of the 23rd World Occam and Transputer User Group Technical Meeting, 10-13 September 2000, Canterbury, United Kingdom by P. H. Welch, André W. P. Bakkers
The essence ot alternation is that it acts as an arhiter hetween a numlx-r of concurrently presented alternative communications. An alternation comhines a numher ot processes guarded by communication — inputs or outputs on channels.
by Antonio Zampolli, Nicoletta Calzolari, Martha Palmer
As the benefactive alternation is a particularly complex property of bake, it is a particularly useful one to encode in a learners' dictionary entry. 1.3.1 Signalling the Benefactive Alternation None of the five dictionaries we have examined notes ...
Structural, Temporal, and Geographic Perspectives : Papers in Memory of Wick R. Miller by the Friends of Uto-Aztecan by Eugene H. Casad, Thomas L. Willett
That the asymmetrical distribution of the causative-inchoative transitivity alternation is a systematic phenomenon, one to be explained within a theory of grammar, is perhaps dimly suggested by the English data themselves ...
The Fullerenes (1993)
New Horizons for the Chemistry, Physics and Astrophysics of Carbon by H. W. Kroto, D. R. M. Walton
A consequence of the favoured bond alternation is that the pentagonal rings ideally lie meta to one another ...
by William Gilpin
This species of alternation is the most trying of all circumstances for the DUKE OF ATHOL'S PLANTATIONS.
Causatives and Transitivity (1993)
by Bernard Comrie, Maria Polinsky
The main morphophonemic alternation is that some verb inflections palatalize preceding consonants (whereby l shifts to y, r to c, and w, depending on lexical item, to w or y). Stress is usually on the first syllabic segment of the word: the main ...
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management and Encyclopedic Dictionaries, The Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of Management Information Systems (1999)
by Gordon B. Davis, Gordon Bitter Davis
Structured programming employs three basic control structures: sequence, alternation ...
by Yo Jackson
Specifically, separation, assimilation, acculturation, alternation, multiculturalism, and fusion are strategic ways in which individuals deal with the experience of existing in two distinct cultures simultaneously. Separation: Individuals who orient ...
by Philip Winn
Alternation learning can be carried out in a MAZE or an OPERANT environment such as a SKINNER BOX, although different neural processes may be involved with each. In the highly spatial setting of mazes, rats have a strong tendency to ...
The Dictionary of Psychology (2016)
by Ray Corsini
alternation 1. In animal research, training animals to follow certain patterns of movements to the right (R) or the left (L) as in LRLRLR or ...
by Martin Weik
phase alternation by line—modified several South American countries, some Middle East and Asian countries, several African countries, Australia, New Zealand, and other Pacific island countries. See also National Television Standards ...
by James Pustejovsky, Pierrette Bouillon, Hitoshi Isahara, Kyoko Kanzaki, Chungmin Lee
2, two different verbal alternations will be presented, the activity-active accomplishment alternation and the causative alternation; in addition, the ability of the same forms to license optional PPs such as instruments and comitatives will be ...
Encyclopaedia of Mathematics (2013)
A-Integral — Coordinates by M. Hazewinkel
If n is the dimension of the vector space on which the tensor is defined, alternation by a group of indices the number of which is larger than n will always produce the zero tensor. Alternation over a given group of indices of a tensor which is ...
Encyclopedia of Biology (2009)
by Don Rittner, Timothy Lee McCabe
alternation of generations A life cycle in plants where there is both a multicellular diploid form (the sporophyte generation) and a multicellular haploid form (the gametophyte generation). Gametophytes produce haploid ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alternation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alternation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Alternation
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Alternation
Scrabble value of A1L1T1E1R1N1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALTERNATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alternation!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alternation to see it in context!