On this page:
Definition of the noun amœba
What does amœba mean as a name of something?
- rare spelling of, amoeba
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba Music is an independent music chain with stores in Berkeley, San Francisco, and Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. Founded by former employees of nearby Rasputin Records, it opened on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley in 1990. The stores are unusually large given their independent status. The San Francisco store, which opened in 1997 in the Haight-Ashbury district, is especially notable for its size. Occupying a 24,000 square foot former bowling alley, the store regularly stocks upwards of 100,000 CDs, vinyl records, and audio cassettes, both new and used.
- also known as Amoeba Records, Amoeba
- official website: www.amoeba.com
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba is a record label.
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba is an experimental music group that fuses the pop and ambient music genres. They formed in California, USA in 1992. The core members of the group are ambient musician Robert Rich and guitarist/bassist Rick Davies.
- albums: "Pivot", "Eye Catching", "Watchful"
- Amœba a.k.a. AMOEBA is a Hungarian musical group.
"Amœba" a.k.a. "Amoeba": White patinated bronze,cast in 1984.
- begun in and completed in (50 years ago)
- media: bronze
- artist: Louise Bourgeois
- "Amœba" a.k.a. "Amoeba" is a studio album by Critters Buggin of Seattle, Washington recorded and released in 1999.
- "Amœba" a.k.a. "Amoeba" is a composition.
- "Amœba" a.k.a. "Amoeba" is a musical EP of Max & Harvey.
- released on (4 years ago)
- amœba a.k.a. Amoeba is a genus of single-celled amoeboid protists in the family Amoebidae. The type species of the genus is Amoeba proteus, a common freshwater organism, widely studied in classrooms and laboratories.
- read more about Amoeba
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba: An amoeba is a type of cell or organism which has the ability to alter its shape, primarily by extending and retracting pseudopods. Amoebae do not form a single taxonomic group, but are found in every major lineage of eukaryotic organisms. Amoeoboid cells occur not only among the protozoa, but also fungi, algae and animals.
- also known as Amoeboids
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba is a distributed operating system developed by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and others at the Vrije Universiteit. The aim of the Amoeba project was to build a timesharing system that makes an entire network of computers appear to the user as a single machine. Development at the Vrije Universiteit was stopped: the files in the latest version were last modified on 12 February 2001.
- also known as Amoeba distributed operating system
- official website: www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba
- Amœba a.k.a. Amoeba: In complex analysis, a branch of mathematics, an amoeba is a set associated with a polynomial in one or more complex variables. Amoebas have applications in algebraic geometry, espcially tropical geometry.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for amœba
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Breath of Life (2016)
by John Burroughs
an amœba is a far simpler animal than a man, and yet it is just as truly living. To refer life to complexity does not help us; we want to know what lies back of the complexity—what makes it a new species of complexity. We cannot explain the origin of living matter by the properties which living matter possesses. There are three things that mechanics and chemistry cannot explain: the relation of the psychical to the physical through the law of the conservation and correlation of forces; the ...
Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language, the pronunciation revised by P.H. Phelp (1874)
-bi-fatorm, reMcmbüníí an amœba In form. amphicojloa*,a. dm'-fisë'-'lus, also am'phicos'lian, a.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for amœba
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: