The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amah:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amah
What does amah mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amahs
- a woman hired to suckle a child of someone else
- a female domestic
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of amah: housemaid / maid / maidservant
- more generic terms: domestic / domestic help / house servant = a servant who is paid to perform menial tasks around the household
- more specific terms:
- fille de chambre / chambermaid = a maid who is employed to clean and care for bedrooms
- handmaiden / handmaid = a personal maid or female attendant
- lady's maid = a maid who is a lady's personal attendant
- parlourmaid / parlormaid = a maid in a private home whose duties are to care for the parlor and the table and to answer the door
Alternative definition of the noun amah
- (In India etc) A woman employed to look after children
- (in China etc) A wet nurse; a maid
AMAH a.k.a. Agrovet Market Animal Health is an international pharmaceutical company with corporate headquarters, in Lima, Peru.
- read more about Agrovet Market Animal Health
- Amah is a fictional character from the 2000 film In the Mood for Love.
- Amah is a fictional character from the 2010 romantic drama film Mary Marie.
- Amah is a fictional character from the 2010 film Tiong Bahru.
- Amah is a fictional character from 2006 film The Painted Veil.
- Amah is a fictional character from the 1987 film Empire of the Sun.
- Amah: An amah or ayah is a girl or woman employed by a family to clean and look after children etc.
- Amah is a term for "mother" in several different languages and contexts.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amah
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A New Translation with Commentary by David B. Friedman
15: An amah is the Hebrew word for a measure of approximately twenty or twentyone inches in length. Chapter 7 1 Then God instructed Noah, “Take your entire two of each ...
ABC's of Versability (2015)
by Roger J. Maderia
An amah is an Asian maid or servant.
Studies in Biblical Thought by Etan Levine
-$2 The root n§m too signifies both breathing and life,53 and the derived noun ne§amah is a synonym of nefes as the breath of God ...
A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Tinkers' Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology (1889)
by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
Amah (Anglo-Indian) , a wet-nurse. Portuguese ama, German amme, a nurse. A sort of good-natured housekeeper -like bodies, who talk only of ayahs and amahs, and bad nights and babies, and the advantages of Hodgson's ale while they ...
A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Gypsies' Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology (1897)
by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
" Amah (Anglo-Indian), a wet-nurse. Portuguese ama, German amme, ...
by John McDonough, Karen Egolf
®Amah, ̄. all with the slogan,. ®Just. like money in your pocket. ̄ The ads explained the service, how to apply for it, and the convenience it could provide to the individual user. A catchy line in the. ®Sword. Man ̄ spot¦®So easy you can do it ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
Indian: 4 ayah Oriental: 3 ama 4 amah nursemaid 4 ...
Sixth Edition by David Thomson
a grandmother here,afrau there, even an amah (in the 1941 Shanghai Gesture,von Sternberg).
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amah
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amah
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: refreshment_66
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Amah
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amah Meaning
Video shows what amah means. A woman employed to look after children in India, a wet nurse.. A maid in China and other parts of Asia.. Amah Meaning.
- NVTV - Quirina Luna Geary (Amah Mutsun/Ohlone) "Preserving Tribal Language"
Cihuapilli Rose Amador and Sundust Martinez interviews Quirina Luna Geary (Amah Mutsun/Ohlone) "Preserving Tribal Language" on Native Voice TV. Geary ...
Scrabble value of A1M3A1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMAH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Amah!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amah to find many related words and phrases!