Amateur appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Rue tamales, nits and Edna’s tinsel amateur.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun amateur and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun amateur
- Definition of the adjective amateur
- Phrases with Amateur
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amateur
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amateur
- Photos about Amateur
- Video language resources about Amateur
- Sign language
- Quotes about Amateur
- Scrabble value of A1M3A1T1E1U1R1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amateur
What does amateur mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amateurs
- someone who pursues a study or sport as a pastime
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- bird watcher / birder = a person who identifies and studies birds in their natural habitats
- dilettante / sciolist / dabbler = an amateur who engages in an activity without serious intentions and who pretends to have knowledge
- hobbyist = a person who pursues an activity in their spare time for pleasure
- an athlete who does not play for pay
Specialised definition of the noun amateur
Glossary of sports
someone who does something for pleasure rather than payment; someone with limited skill in, or knowledge of, an activity (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / golf
a golfer who plays for fun, not for money
Definition of the adjective amateur
What does amateur mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more amateur / most amateur
- engaged in as a pastime
- lacking professional skill or expertise
Alternative definition of the adjective amateur
- See Non-professional.
- Created, done, or populated by amateurs or non-professionals.
- Showing a lack of professionalism, experience or talent.
- "Amateur" is a 1994 film written and directed by Hal Hartley starring Isabelle Huppert, Martin Donovan and Elina Löwensohn.
- countries: United Kingdom, United States of America, France
- language: English Language
- producers: Hal Hartley & Ted Hope
- art direction by Steve Rosenzweig
- written by Hal Hartley
- cinematography by Michael Spiller
- edited by Steve Hamilton
- music by Hal Hartley, Jeffrey Taylor
- costume design by Alexandra Welker
- genres: Mystery, Indie film, Crime Fiction, Thriller, Crime Thriller, Comedy Thriller, Comedy, Drama
- tagline: Accountancy, Murder, Amnesia, Torture, Ecstasy, Understanding, Redemption.
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Amateur" is a 2011 documentary film written and directed by Nestor Frenkel.
- "Amateur" is a 2013 short and drama film written and directed by Ryan Koo.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Chip Hourihan & Ryan Koo
- written by Ryan Koo
- casting by Matthew Wulf
- cinematography by Greg Wilson
- edited by Ryan Koo
- music by Tim Kvasnosky
- genres: Drama, Sports
- released on
- official website: manchildfilm.com
"Amateur" is a novel written by Jean Back.
- language: Luxembourgish language
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Amateur" is a musical album of Mud Flow.
- "Amateur" is a musical album of Attaque 77.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Amateur" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Amateur" is a musical album of Alog.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Amateur" is a musical album of Laurent Cabrillat.
- released on
- Amateur is a music video by Molotov.
- award: - Latin Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video nomination for Molotov
Amateur is a musical group.
- album: "Choose Your Own Adventure"
Amateur: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner. Amateurs often have little or no formal training in their pursuits, and many are autodidacts.
- also known as 業餘愛好者
Phrases with Amateur
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amateur
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Rodney P. Carlisle
The World Amateur Golf Council standardizes play through rulings, etiquette, scoring, and a handicap system. quently. In an online poll of over 7,000 golfers, 70 percent of amateurs admitted to cheating at golf. One of the ways that cheating ...
by Bill Mallon, Randon Jerris
Amateur Championship in 1895, the same year the U.S. Open began. However, in Britain, the British Amateur (The Amateur Championship) was first held in 1885, 25 years after the Open ...
Encyclopedia of Television (2014)
by Horace Newcomb, Lambdin Kay Distinguished Professor for the Peabody Awards Horace Newcomb
Amateur. Hour,. The. U.S.. Amateur. Talent,. Performance,. and. Variety. Contest. Ouimet, Alphonse (1908–1988) Canadian Broadcasting Executive Our Friends in the. Further Reading Bates, W.A., editor, The Role of Technology in Distance ...
by Christopher H. Sterling
The celebrated November 1920 broadcasts of pioneer station KDKA in Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania, began as experimental amateur programs under the call sign 8XK. The radio transmission of the Dempsey-Carpenter boxing match in 1921, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amateur
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amateur
Click on an item to view that photo:
mi rivedo negli angoli.
mi rivedo nei dettagli.
mi rivedo come una puttana, nelle tue assenze, nelle tue dimenticanze.
mi rivedo come una puttana per tutte le volte che torno, e per tutte le volte che vado via.
Sono una puttana per tutte le volte che avrai dovuto chiedere soldi ed ho chiesto attenzioni.
Photo credit: frakokot
- Amateur Party
St. Stephen's Church, DC
Photo credit: angela n.
- Photographe amateur
Photo credit: L'oeil étranger
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Amateur
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amateur Meaning
Video shows what amateur means. A lover something.. A person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science as to music or painting; especially one who ...
- Thorin's Death Twirl - An Amateur Explanation
Avelera here, trying to take an amateur's explanation of Thorin's "Death Twirl" in "The Hobbit", specifically as seen in gifs like this: ...
- Amateur Explanation of Wormholes
- Amateur Explanation of "Time Travel"
- Amateur explanation of drawing from life
An amateur example of drawing from life using a pencil for measurement.
- On Meaning: Amateur
- Love is a Verb (Amateur Cover by Gen)
- The Invention of Clouds How an Amateur Meteorologist Forged the Language of the Skies Pdf
- ESL Amateur Series 1st Division against Versus.Pro
See also the pronunciation examples of Amateur!
UUVVWWZ Trusted Language SXSW 2013 (Amateur ASL Interpretation)
Quotes about Amateur
Scrabble value of A1M3A1T1E1U1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amateur to see it in context!