The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amazement:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amazement
What does amazement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amazements
- the feeling that accompanies something extremely surprising
- examples: To my amazement, it disappeared in an instant. | He was in open-mouthed amazement. | I blinked in amazement at the unexpected development. | To his amazement, the door opened all by itself. | He stood rooted to the spot in amazement. | They stared at her swimming suit in amazement. | To my amazement she came first. | She looked stupefied in amazement. | One of her choice parlor tricks was to crack walnuts with her quadriceps, to the amazement of even the most seasoned bodybuilders. | She simply stared at me in amazement and went away without saying a word.
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonym of amazement: astonishment
- more generic word: feeling = the experiencing of affective and emotional states
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun amazement
- [uncountable] The condition of being amazed; overwhelming wonder, as from surprise, sudden fear, horror, or admiration; astonishment.
- [context: countable, archaic] A particular feeling of wonder, surprise, fear, or horror.
- [context: countable, dated] Something which amazes.
- [obsolete] Madness, frenzy.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for amazement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Worth of Goods (2011)
Valuation and Pricing in the Economy by Jens Beckert, Patrik Aspers
Amazement is the richest mode because it can be built on any kind of expectation . Some particular practice of communication by word, image,
by Harold Garfinkel
amazement is the large difference the way you hold your thumb can make in what you do. 5 In any case, properly speaking itisnot the formalized system of talk and movement itself which constitutes the mastery of the master.
Staging Equality by Ellen Ecker Dolgin
Visual amazement is the heart of the scene. Living pictures were the source of Victorian theatrical excitement...
Traffic Flow Dynamics (2012)
Data, Models and Simulation by Martin Treiber, Arne Kesting
Amazement is the beginning of knowledge. Plato Abstract A detailed representation of the traffic state in space and time allows us to analyze various aspects of traffic dynamics. However, since traffic data are only available for a small subset of ...
With Topical Index by W. E. Vine, Merrill Unger
AMAZE, AMAZEMENT A. Nouns. 1. ekstasis (1611) is, lit., “a standing out” (ek, “ out of,” stasis, “a standing”). Eng. “ecstasy” is a transliteration. It is translated “ amazement” in Acts 3:10. It was said of any displacement, and especially, with ...
by John Platts
Amazement, [from a and mase, a whirlpool, S.] confusion, ...
by W.E Vine, Rev Terry Kulakowski, Editor
AMAZEMENT. A. Nouns. 1. (, 1611) is, lit., “a standing out” (, “out of,” , “a standing ”). Eng. “ecstasy” is a transliteration. It is translated “amazement” in Acts 3:10. It was said of any displacement, and especially, with reference to the mind, of that ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
Wonder applies specifically to whatever excites surprise, astonishment, or amazement (as by its perfection, its greatness, or its inexplicableness) (the hotels were wonders of comfort-White) (the real wonder of jujitsu is . . . in the uniquely ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for amazement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about amazement
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Marco Rosanova
Photo credit: glasseyes view
Photo credit: mathrock
Week 13: Reuben and Joshua
Photo credit: garethjmsaunders
Photo credit: nicolafchild
Photo credit: klndonnelly
After the SciCast Awards ceremony.
Photo credit: elinoroberts
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: curran.kelleher
Photo credit: Quinn Ryan Mattingly
This is the look on TJ's face on his first trip to an amusement park. He was fascinated watching Top Gun takeoff.
Fly to this location (Requires Google Earth)
Photo credit: JasonTromm
Photo credit: SoccerMasta
Nic takes a photo at the centre of the maze in Cambridge botanical gardens
Photo credit: Bitterjug
Photo credit: Benjamin Dobson
Photo credit: rumolay
Photo credit: uzi978
Photo credit: illustir
Photo credit: LadyDragonflyCC - >;<
- Accidently Amazement
Photo credit: Tall and Ginger
- Gerstner Chocolate Amazement!
Open since 1847. Vienna, Austria. 6.27.10.
Photo credit: Sarah_Ackerman
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about amazement
Video shows what amazement means. The condition of being amazed; overwhelming wonder, as from surprise, sudden fear, horror, or admiration; astonishment ...
See also the pronunciation examples of amazement!
Quotes about amazement
Scrabble value of A1M3A1Z10E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 22 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of amazement to see it in context!