The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amazement:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amazement
What does amazement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amazements
- the feeling that accompanies something extremely surprising
- examples: To my amazement, it disappeared in an instant. | He was in open-mouthed amazement. | I blinked in amazement at the unexpected development. | To his amazement, the door opened all by itself. | He stood rooted to the spot in amazement. | They stared at her swimming suit in amazement. | To my amazement she came first. | She looked stupefied in amazement. | One of her choice parlor tricks was to crack walnuts with her quadriceps, to the amazement of even the most seasoned bodybuilders. | She simply stared at me in amazement and went away without saying a word.
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonym of amazement: astonishment
- more generic word: feeling = the experiencing of affective and emotional states
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun amazement
- [uncountable] The condition of being amazed; overwhelming wonder, as from surprise, sudden fear, horror, or admiration; astonishment.
- [context: countable, archaic] A particular feeling of wonder, surprise, fear, or horror.
- [context: countable, dated] Something which amazes.
- [obsolete] Madness, frenzy.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for amazement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Harold Garfinkel
amazement is the large difference the way you hold your thumb can make in what you do. 5 In any case, properly speaking itisnot the formalized system of talk and movement itself which constitutes the mastery of the master.
Here is hope for man Our amazement is that it rolls on no faster. Twenty years have done great things for us ; great things for Ireland — great things for Britain, Germany, Sweden, and the Islands of the Sea ; and we may this day tell of triumphs ...
Love and Rockets (2010)
by Martin H. Greenberg, Kerrie L. Hughes
Add to that a decided streak of prudishness among some SF readers, and the amazement is that any writer can get the two genres to lie down and play nicely with each other at all. Trying to fit all these tasks into a short story length is a bravura ...
Staging Equality by Ellen Ecker Dolgin
Visual amazement is the heart of the scene. Living pictures were the source of Victorian theatrical excitement...
Spiritual Boredom (2009)
Rediscovering the Wonder of Judaism by Erica Brown
Radical amazement rather than scientific inquiry keeps us filled with wonder all the time, unlike a magic trick that seems remarkable until we know how it is done. Heschel's amazement is the magic of our capacity to exist and think at all; it is not ...
by W.E Vine, Rev Terry Kulakowski, Editor
AMAZEMENT. A. Nouns. 1. (, 1611) is, lit., “a standing out” (, “out of,” , “a standing ”). Eng. “ecstasy” is a transliteration. It is translated “amazement” in Acts 3:10. It was said of any displacement, and especially, with reference to the mind, of that ...
With Topical Index by W. E. Vine, Merrill Unger
AMAZE, AMAZEMENT A. Nouns. 1. ekstasis (1611) is, lit., “a standing out” (ek, “ out of,” stasis, “a standing”). Eng. “ecstasy” is a transliteration. It is translated “ amazement” in Acts 3:10. It was said of any displacement, and especially, with ...
by John Platts
Amazement, [from a and mase, a whirlpool, S.] confusion, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for amazement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about amazement
Click on an item to view that photo:
YL falls back in amazement at the number of bunnies she now owns in a painting.
Photo credit: greatlettuce
Photo credit: klndonnelly
After the SciCast Awards ceremony.
Photo credit: elinoroberts
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: curran.kelleher
Photo credit: Quinn Ryan Mattingly
Photo credit: Toné
Photo credit: nSeika
Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, USA
Photo credit: LivingWaterMissionEA
Photo credit: LadyDragonflyCC - >;<
Everyone watching, including this young girl, was amazed by the show of light and sound.
Photo credit: daryl_mitchell
Photo credit: SoccerMasta
Nic takes a photo at the centre of the maze in Cambridge botanical gardens
Photo credit: Bitterjug
Photo credit: illustir
Photo credit: Benjamin Dobson
Photo credit: uzi978
This is the look on TJ's face on his first trip to an amusement park. He was fascinated watching Top Gun takeoff.
Fly to this location (Requires Google Earth)
Photo credit: JasonTromm
Photo credit: rumolay
Photo credit: claudiadea131
- Unsupervised Amazement
Photo credit: kevin.madden
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about amazement
Video shows what amazement means. The condition of being amazed; overwhelming wonder, as from surprise, sudden fear, horror, or admiration; astonishment ...
See also the pronunciation examples of amazement!
Quotes about amazement
Scrabble value of A1M3A1Z10E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 22 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of amazement to see it in context!