On this page:
- Definition of the adjective ambiguous
- Phrases with Ambiguous
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambiguous
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambiguous
- Photos about Ambiguous
- Video language resources about Ambiguous
- Quotes about Ambiguous
- Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1G2U1O1U1S1
- Share this page
Ambiguous (unclear or doubtful in meaning) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's absolutely essential words for the GRE, which includes 300 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
The word ambiguous and its family (ambiguities, ambiguity, unambiguous, unambiguously) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective ambiguous
What does ambiguous mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more ambiguous / most ambiguous
- open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead
- having more than one possible meaning
- examples: ambiguous words | frustrated by ambiguous instructions, the parents were unable to assemble the toy
- antonym: unambiguous
- similar: double-barreled / double-barrelled; double-edged; enigmatic / oracular; left-handed; multi-valued / multivalent; polysemantic / polysemous; uncertain
- see also: unclear; equivocal
- having no intrinsic or objective meaning; not organized in conventional patterns
Alternative definition of the adjective ambiguous
- Open to multiple interpretations.
- Vague and unclear.
- antonym: specifically defined
- Of persons: hesitant; uncertain; not taking sides.
- antonym: precise
Definition of the adjective ambiguous for high school students
- uncertain, variably interpretable
- example: Some people think Caesar married Cleopatra for her power, others believe he was charmed by her beauty. His actual reasons are ambiguous.
The adjective ambiguous is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
"Ambiguous" aka Waisetsu Netto Shūdan Ikasete!! and Group Suicide: The Last Supper is a 2003 Japanese Pink film directed by Toshiya Ueno. It was chosen as Best Film of the year at the Pink Grand Prix ceremony.
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- starring: Minami Aoyama
- genres: Erotica, Pornographic film, Japanese Movies
- released on (11 years ago)
- "ambiguous" is a musical single of Garnidelia.
- released on
- "Ambiguous" is a musical album of Edera.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Ambiguous" is a musical album of Andrew Liles.
- released on
- "Ambiguous" is a musical album of Olivia Adriaco.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Ambiguous" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Pacou
Phrases with Ambiguous
Phrases starting with the word Ambiguous:
- Ambiguous Snapper
- Ambiguous Cyrtandra
- Ambiguous Sunflower
- Ambiguous Aloina Moss
- Ambiguous Ditrichum Moss
- Ambiguous Calcareous Moss
- Ambiguous Trematodon Moss
Phrases ending with the word Ambiguous:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambiguous
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jan Dirk Blom
Ambiguous Illusion A experiences with – the hallucinogenic effects of A. muscaria. References Rudgley, R. (1998). The encyclopaedia of psychoactive substances. London: Little, Brown & Company. Rätsch, Chr. (2005). The encyclopedia of ...
Neurocognitive and Behavioural Approaches by Aditi Lahiri, Sandra Kotzor
However, some types of acoustic variability occurs as a result of highly ambiguous speech. Previous research has suggested that listeners use lexical information to retune phonetic category boundaries, particularly when encountering ...
by J.J.S. WHARTON
An ambiguous ano is to be taken against him who offers it. Ambiguis casibus semper praesumitur pro rege. (In doubtful cases the presumption is always in favour of the king.) Ambiguum placitum interpretari debet contra proferentem. Co. Litt.
by R.L. Trask
ambiguity test 14 exist, such as the classic Janet made the robot fast, which is multiply ambiguous, involving both lexical and structural ambiguities. An ambiguous string is loosely referred to as an 'ambiguous sentence'; more precisely, such a ...
The Dictionary of Psychology (2016)
by Ray Corsini
ambiguous 1. In general, having more than one interpretation. 2. In anatomy, a problem having more than one interpretation. ambiguous communications Verbal or gestural ...
Encyclopedia of Imaging (2008)
by Albert L. Baert
Most infants have ambiguous genitalia, often with severe under- masculinisation. There is a high risk of gonadal ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambiguous
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ambiguous
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Bingmanson
Photo credit: onnoweb
Photo credit: JuditK
Photo credit: jmevans
A photo by Petter Karlsson
Photo credit: Kalexanderson
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: twak
Photo credit: emreterok
- Ambiguous smile
Photo credit: hapal
- Ambiguous Duo
See more Italian Fashion at...
Photo credit: The Purple Pants
- Ambiguous animosity
Photo credit: simon.carr
- Ambiguous Borders
Photo credit: Satterwhite.B
- Ambiguous Paddles
Photo credit: thebrandery
- Ambiguous Journey
Photo credit: FeatheredTar
- Ambiguous door control
Photo credit: nSeika
- Ambiguous building
Photo credit: Banalities
- Ambiguous Self Portrait
Canon 5D Mark II, EF 24-105mm. lens: f/4.0, 1/5 sec., ISO 100.
Photo credit: michaelnugent
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ambiguous
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ambiguous Meaning
Video shows what ambiguous means. Open to multiple interpretations.. Vague and unclear.. Hesitant; uncertain; not taking sides.. ambiguous pronunciation.
- Finding meaning as an important step in coping with ambiguous loss
In this clip from the National Council on Family Relations 2013 annual conference, Dr. Pauline Boss discusses "finding meaning" as an important step in coping ...
- The New and Ambiguous Meaning in the Unemployment Rate
The video explains how discouraged job searchers have lowered the unemployment rate by withdrawing from the labor force.
- ESL Vocabulary : ambiguous
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Ambiguous, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Compiler Design Lecture | Inherently Ambiguous Language Example Ambiguous Grammar Example
Compiler Design Video Lectures in Hindi for IIT, GATE, lectures, tutorial, in hindi, Compiler Design Lecture Inherently Ambiguous Language Example ...
- Ambiguous Language
- Ambiguous or Ambivalent - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Krauthammer's Take: ACA Language is 'Not Ambiguous At All'
- ESL Vocabulary : ambiguous
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Ambiguous
The World's fastest and easiest Movie Dictionary! Intermediate vocabulary available for all people to enjoy! Watch it now...the new learning experience...The Y.K. ...
- Natural Language Processing Lecture 39 Parsing Ambiguous Sentences; Probabilistic Parsing
See also the pronunciation examples of Ambiguous!
Quotes about Ambiguous
Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1G2U1O1U1S1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ambiguous to see it in context!