The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ambition:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ambition
- Definition of the verb ambition
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambition
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambition
- Photos about Ambition
- Video language resources about Ambition
- Quotes about Ambition
- Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of AMBITION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ambition
What does ambition mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ambitions
- a cherished desire
- example: his ambition is to own his own business
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of ambition: aspiration / dream
- more generic word: desire = the feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state
- more specific terms:
- a strong drive for success
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of ambition: ambitiousness
- more generic word: drive = the trait of being highly motivated
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun ambition
- An eager or inordinate desire for some object that confers distinction, as preferment, honor, superiority, political power, or literary fame; desire to distinguish one's self from other people.
- A desire, as in (1), for another person to achieve these things.
- The purported pathway to a chosen career.
- A personal quality similar to motivation, not necessarily tied to a single goal.
Definition of the verb ambition
What does ambition mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ambitioned | ambitioning | ambitions
- have as one's ambition
- "Ambition" is the second studio album by American hip hop artist Wale. It was released on November 1, 2011 on Maybach Music Group and Warner Bros. Records. It is the follow-up to his debut album, Attention Deficit, which was released in 2009. The album features guest appearances from Rick Ross, Lloyd, Ne-Yo, Big Sean, Miguel, Meek Mill, Kid Cudi, and Jeremih. The album was supported by four official singles— "Chain Music", "Bait", Lotus Flower Bomb" and "Sabotage", along with the promotional singles "Bad Girls Club" and "Focused". Upon its release Ambition received generally positive reviews from music critics. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 164,000 copies in its first week of release. As of June, 2013, the album has sold over 482,000 copies in the United States.
- "Ambition": Originally released on Atlantic Records in 1987, Ambition is former Styx guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw's third solo album release. It was produced by Terry Thomas and has a very fluid and melodic sound with rich synthesizer chords and sequences. The album was re-released on American Beat Records in 2007.
- genre: Rock music
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- music by Vic Godard
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- "Ambition" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Ambition" is a musical EP of The Dead Souls.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical single of Subway Sect.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Ambition" is a musical album of Statik Selektah & Bumpy Knuckles.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical single of Redd.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical album of Larry McCray.
- "Ambition" is a musical EP of Apagoge.
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Jane Robinson
- "Ambition" is a musical album of PIVOTAL.
- "Ambition" is the first novel by Julie Burchill published in 1989 hardback and 1990 paperback, ISBN 9780552135580.
- genres: Fiction, Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1990-06
- "Ambition" is a book by Kieran Scott, published on (6 years ago).
- also known as "Ambition (Private)"
- character: Reed Brennan
- genre: Children's literature
- subjects: Friendship, Sex, Dating, Murder
- "Ambition" is a 2012 family film written by Gil Medina, J. Robert Kingston and directed by Gil Medina.
- "Ambition" is a 1973 film directed by Nya' Abbas Acub.
- "Ambition": "This short film was packaged on video with Hartley's featurette "Surviving Desire." It follows a day in the life of a young artist who longs for professional success and the attention of beautiful women, but who encounters only frustration and violence.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Hal Hartley
- producers: Ted Hope, John Ligon, James Schamus
- executive producer: Alyce Dissette
- written by Hal Hartley
- cinematography by Michael Spiller
- music by Hal Hartley
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- released in (24 years ago)
- Ambition is a registered charity whose members are a network of umbrella youth organisations in cities, counties and countries throughout the UK. Through its network Ambition works with more than 3,500 voluntary youth clubs, youth groups and projects across the United Kingdom, supporting over 350,000 young people.
- official website: www.clubsforyoungpeople.org.uk
- Ambition is the third women's fragrance created by American pop/R&B singer, songwriter Jordin Sparks alongside CPL Aromas & Preferred Fragrance, endorsed by Jordin Sparks. The product was released exclusively to Bon-Ton Department Stores nationwide on November 8, 2012 in store and online. Ambition... was Preceded by two additional releases. her first fragrance "Because of You..." and her second fragrance "Fascinate". Each scent was followed with its own Eau De Parfum release and multiple gift sets.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambition
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Thoughts (1908)
Being a Cyclopedia of Laconic Quotations from the Best Authors of the World, Both Ancient and Modern by Tryon Edwards
Ambition is the spur that makes man struggle with destiny.
Ambition is a lust that is never quenched, but grows more inflamed and madder by enjoyment.
The Meaning of Life (1922)
by Albert Edwin Keigwin
Ambition is a Divine urge. It is God's elective...
Moreover, ambition is an urge moving in one direction, namely, the will of God. Like electricity, it...
The Business Philosopher (1922)
The Magazine of Practical Business Building
AM BITION Ambition is the next natural faculty of the Soul or Sensibilities.
by Jeff Hutchens
'Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in' Bill...
by Dave Harvey
Jerry Bridges, author, The Pursuit of Holiness “Thomas Watson said, 'Selfish ambition is the mother of all schisms.
randy alcorn, author, If God is Good and Heaven “Rescuing Ambition is a book for all of us who were created by God, who ...
by Wolfgang Mieder, Stewart A. Kingsbury, Kelsie B. Harder
Ambition is the incentive that makes purpose great and achievement greater. Rec . dist.: N.Y. 9. Ambition is the last infirmity of noble minds. Rec. dist.: Ill. 10. Ambition is torment enough for an enemy. Rec. dist.:...
by James Terry White
DEFINITION: Ambition is the desire to improve one's present conditions. INTERPRETATION: 1. Contentment that is satisfied with...
explained and defended, in a series of sermons. With a memoir of the life of the author by Timothy Dwight
Ambition is an affection of the mind, nearly related to Pride and Vanity. Vanity is the self-complacency, which we feel in the...
Ambition is the desire of obtaining, or increasing, this superiority. Vanity, usually makes men civil and complaisant.
I AM ISHSHAH CHAYIL (2015)
THE VIRTUOUS WOMAN WITHIN by Orva Medina
Divine ambition is the fuel to your purpose.
The Homiletic Review (1903)
An International Monthly Magazine of Current Religious Thought, Sermonic Literature and Discussion of Practical Issues
A high ambition is the spur to enterprise; is that which lends to life its nobler lures; is that which makes life worth the living.
Letters of Ascent (2013)
Spiritual Direction in the Letters of Bernard of Clairvaux by Michael C. Voigts
for Bernard, ambition is the opposite of ...
Dare to Serve (2015)
How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others by Cheryl Bachelder
Ambition is a cultural norm for leadership. Defined by MerriamWebster as “an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power,” the word comes from the Latin word ambitio, literally the act of soliciting votes for political office. In these roots, we find the ...
Bureaucratic Ambition (2011)
Careers, Motives, and the Innovative Administrator by Manuel P. Teodoro
Ambition is a good servant, but a bad master. laura ingalls wilder...
A Complete Dictionary of Poetical Quotations: Comprising the Most Excellent and Appropriate Passages in the Old British Poets (1871)
With Choice and Copius Selection from the Best Modern British and American Poets by John F. Addington
AMBITION. AMBITION. 19 Ambition hath one heel nail'd in hell, Though. 18 Those that were up themselves, kept others low; Those that were low themselves, held others hard, Ne suffered them to ryse or greater grow: But every one did strive ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
See Also: PURPOSEFULNESS Ambition...
The Art of English Poetry. Containing I. Rules for Making Verses. II. A Collection of the Most ... Sublime Thoughts ... in the Best English Poets. III. A Dictionary of Rhymes. -3. Ed (1708)
Ambition is a Luft that's never quench'd, - Grows more enflam'd,and madder by Enjoyment. Otw.Cai.Mar. Ambition is at distance A goodly Prospect, tempting to the View : - The Height delights us, and the Mountain Top Looks beautiful, because ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambition
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ambition
Click on an item to view that photo:
Once can never consent to creep
When one feels an impulse to soar
- Helen Keller
Photo credit: baejaar
Photo credit: Sandy Pirouzi
Who you don't see is the guy in the tree who climbed the (too short) ladder while his colleagues were lifting it.
Photo credit: ullrich.c
- ~ Weekend Ambition ~
Photo credit: Nico Time
- AmbITion Nottingham
was a nice day out listening to how the creative arts and people connected to it perceive this new media landscape
Photo credit: philcampbell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ambition
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wayne Dyer Ambition to Meaning The Shift
- Dr Wayne Dyer ~ "The Shift "( From Ambition to Meaning )
Dr Wayne Dyer as himself, from the movie "The Shift", formerly entitled " Ambition to Meaning"
- The Shift - ambition to meaning - Wayne Dyer film trailer - Nederlands ondertiteld
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 1/4
Part 2/4 here...
- Ambition Meaning
Video shows what ambition means. Eager or inordinate desire for some object that confers distinction, as preferment, honor, superiority, political power, ...
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 2/4
Part 3/4 here...
- Video Vocabulary - "ambition" definition
Made with Doodlecast Pro from the iTunes App Store.
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 3/4
Part 4/4 here...
- Slang Dome - Ambition
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 4/4
Excerpts from an interview with director Michael Goorjian and producers Noah Veneklasen and Marco Sanchez. It is from this interview that the film script of "The ...
- Dr Wayne Dyer ~ Finding Your Dharma [The Shift ( From Ambition to Meaning )]
Dr. Wayne Dyer as himself, from movie "The Shift", formerly entitled "Ambition to Meaning"
- Fame Fortune Ambition Meaning Essentials
- The Shift: Ambition to Meaning - Striving to Arriving
- Ambition chord usage - explanation
- Wayne Dyer Ambition to Meaning cut
- Download Fame Fortune And Ambition What Is The Real Meaning Of Success PDF
- Realise your ambition with Media, Culture and Language at Roehampton
Discover your future here...
- Ambition (Noun) - Daily Dictionary
- Dictionary: Ambition
Meaning of the word Ambition.
- Ambition Institute of Foreign language
See also the pronunciation examples of Ambition!
Quotes about Ambition
Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMBITION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ambition!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ambition to see it in context!