The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ambition:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ambition
- Definition of the verb ambition
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambition
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambition
- Photos about Ambition
- Video language resources about Ambition
- Quotes about Ambition
- Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of AMBITION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ambition
What does ambition mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ambitions
- a cherished desire
- example: his ambition is to own his own business
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of ambition: aspiration / dream
- more generic word: desire = the feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state
- more specific terms:
- a strong drive for success
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of ambition: ambitiousness
- more generic word: drive = the trait of being highly motivated
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun ambition
- An eager or inordinate desire for some object that confers distinction, as preferment, honor, superiority, political power, or literary fame; desire to distinguish one's self from other people.
- A desire, as in (1), for another person to achieve these things.
- The purported pathway to a chosen career.
- A personal quality similar to motivation, not necessarily tied to a single goal.
Definition of the verb ambition
What does ambition mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ambitioned | ambitioning | ambitions
- have as one's ambition
- "Ambition" is the second studio album by American hip hop artist Wale. It was released on November 1, 2011 on Maybach Music Group and Warner Bros. Records. It is the follow-up to his debut album, Attention Deficit, which was released in 2009. The album features guest appearances from Rick Ross, Lloyd, Ne-Yo, Big Sean, Miguel, Meek Mill, Kid Cudi, and Jeremih. The album was supported by four official singles— "Chain Music", "Bait", Lotus Flower Bomb" and "Sabotage", along with the promotional singles "Bad Girls Club" and "Focused". Upon its release Ambition received generally positive reviews from music critics. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 164,000 copies in its first week of release. As of June, 2013, the album has sold over 482,000 copies in the United States.
- "Ambition": Originally released on Atlantic Records in 1987, Ambition is former Styx guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw's third solo album release. It was produced by Terry Thomas and has a very fluid and melodic sound with rich synthesizer chords and sequences. The album was re-released on American Beat Records in 2007.
- genre: Rock music
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- music by Vic Godard
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- "Ambition" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Ambition" is a musical EP of The Dead Souls.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical single of Subway Sect.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Ambition" is a musical album of Statik Selektah & Bumpy Knuckles.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical single of Redd.
- released on
- "Ambition" is a musical album of Larry McCray.
- "Ambition" is a musical EP of Apagoge.
- "Ambition" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Jane Robinson
- "Ambition" is a musical album of PIVOTAL.
- "Ambition" is the first novel by Julie Burchill published in 1989 hardback and 1990 paperback, ISBN 9780552135580.
- genres: Fiction, Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1990-06
- "Ambition" is a book by Kieran Scott, published on (6 years ago).
- also known as "Ambition (Private)"
- character: Reed Brennan
- genre: Children's literature
- subjects: Friendship, Sex, Dating, Murder
- "Ambition" is a 2012 family film written by Gil Medina, J. Robert Kingston and directed by Gil Medina.
- "Ambition" is a 1973 film directed by Nya' Abbas Acub.
- "Ambition": "This short film was packaged on video with Hartley's featurette "Surviving Desire." It follows a day in the life of a young artist who longs for professional success and the attention of beautiful women, but who encounters only frustration and violence.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Hal Hartley
- producers: Ted Hope, John Ligon, James Schamus
- executive producer: Alyce Dissette
- written by Hal Hartley
- cinematography by Michael Spiller
- music by Hal Hartley
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- released in (24 years ago)
- Ambition is a registered charity whose members are a network of umbrella youth organisations in cities, counties and countries throughout the UK. Through its network Ambition works with more than 3,500 voluntary youth clubs, youth groups and projects across the United Kingdom, supporting over 350,000 young people.
- official website: www.clubsforyoungpeople.org.uk
- Ambition is the third women's fragrance created by American pop/R&B singer, songwriter Jordin Sparks alongside CPL Aromas & Preferred Fragrance, endorsed by Jordin Sparks. The product was released exclusively to Bon-Ton Department Stores nationwide on November 8, 2012 in store and online. Ambition... was Preceded by two additional releases. her first fragrance "Because of You..." and her second fragrance "Fascinate". Each scent was followed with its own Eau De Parfum release and multiple gift sets.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambition
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Ambition is the mind's immodesty. W. Davenant.
Choice Extracts on History, Science, Philosophy, Religion, Literature, Etc. Selected from the Standard Authors of Ancient and Modern Times, Classified According to Subject by Charles Noel Douglas
Ambition is an idol, on whose wings great minds are carried only to extreme, — to be sublimely great, or to be nothing.— Southern. What is...
Ambition is a lust that's never quenched, Grows more inflamed, and madder by enjoyment. — Otway. Ambition has but...
A Dictionary of Thoughts (1908)
by Tryon Edwards
Ambition is the germ from which all growth of nobleness proceeds. — T. B.
Ambition is a lust that is never quenched, but grows more inflamed and madder by enjoyment.
Treasury of Thought (1884)
Forming an Encyclopedia of Quotations from Ancient and Modern Authors by Maturin Murray Ballou
Ambition is a lust that is never quenched, grows more intiamed and madder by enjoyment.
by Dave Harvey
Jerry Bridges, author, The Pursuit of Holiness “Thomas Watson said, 'Selfish ambition is the mother of all schisms.
randy alcorn, author, If God is Good and Heaven “Rescuing Ambition is a book for all of us who were created by God, who ...
by James Terry White
DEFINITION: Ambition is the desire to improve one's present conditions. INTERPRETATION: 1. Contentment that is satisfied with...
I AM ISHSHAH CHAYIL (2015)
THE VIRTUOUS WOMAN WITHIN by Orva Medina
Divine ambition is the fuel to your purpose.
Dare to Serve (2015)
How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others by Cheryl Bachelder
Ambition is a cultural norm for leadership. Defined by MerriamWebster as “an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power,” the word comes from the Latin word ambitio, literally the act of soliciting votes for political office. In these roots, we find the ...
Bureaucratic Ambition (2011)
Careers, Motives, and the Innovative Administrator by Manuel P. Teodoro
Ambition is a good servant, but a bad master. laura ingalls wilder...
The Homiletic Review (1903)
An International Magazine of Religion, Theology and Philosophy
A high ambition is the spur to enterprise; is that which lends to life its nobler lures; is that which makes life worth the living.
Letters of Ascent (2013)
Spiritual Direction in the Letters of Bernard of Clairvaux by Michael C. Voigts
for Bernard, ambition is the opposite of ...
by Wolfgang Mieder, Stewart A. Kingsbury, Kelsie B. Harder
Ambition is putting a ladder against the sky. Rec. dist.: Wis. 8. Ambition is the incentive that makes purpose great and achievement greater. Rec . dist.: N.Y. 9. Ambition is the last infirmity of noble minds. Rec. dist.: Ill. 10.
Instead, if read with the right emphasis, it is an ambition-maker; it teaches which kind of ambition is the right kind—not merely the innocent kind but the Christian kind.
A Dictionary of Similes (1917)
by Frank Jenners Wilstach
Ambition — continued. Ambition, like a seeled [blind] dove mounts upward, Higher and higher still, to perch on clouds, But tumbles headlong down with heavier ruin. — John Ford. As ambitious as Lady Macbeth. — James Huneker. Ambition ...
by David Macfarlane
Ambition. When the hare leaps, there are no lame greyhounds. Cuando salta la liebre no hay galgos cojos. — Venezuelan Lawyer for the rich, scourge of the poor. Abogado de ricos, mal de pobres. — Peruvian In the boss's eyes you'll always ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
See Also: PURPOSEFULNESS Ambition...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambition
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ambition
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: shanntastic
Photo credit: simone.hawthorne
Photo credit: Banalities
Photo credit: Sjors Provoost
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR sample - unedited, uncropped, unresized.
Photo credit: blackbass
Photo credit: Chiyro
Photo credit: SaudaminiN
Photo credit: tompagenet
this little guy seemed to want to be fearsome and spooky, but the cemetary was so cheerful and bright, that it didn't work at all. it was cute!
Photo credit: davedehetre
Photo credit: Sandy Pirouzi
Photo credit: O.S. Fisher
Photo credit: Carly & Art
- ~ Weekend Ambition ~
Photo credit: Nico Time
- AmbITion Nottingham
was a nice day out listening to how the creative arts and people connected to it perceive this new media landscape
Photo credit: philcampbell
- Blond Ambition
Photo credit: Joãomagagnin
- Day 450 - Glowing Ambition
Photo credit: Simeon Berg
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ambition
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wayne Dyer Ambition to Meaning The Shift
- Dr Wayne Dyer ~ "The Shift "( From Ambition to Meaning )
Dr Wayne Dyer as himself, from the movie "The Shift", formerly entitled " Ambition to Meaning"
- The Shift - ambition to meaning - Wayne Dyer film trailer - Nederlands ondertiteld
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 1/4
Part 2/4 here...
- Ambition Meaning
Video shows what ambition means. Eager or inordinate desire for some object that confers distinction, as preferment, honor, superiority, political power, ...
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 2/4
Part 3/4 here...
- Video Vocabulary - "ambition" definition
Made with Doodlecast Pro from the iTunes App Store.
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 3/4
Part 4/4 here...
- Slang Dome - Ambition
- Wayne Dyer - From Ambition To Meaning (Interview for "The Shift") 4/4
Excerpts from an interview with director Michael Goorjian and producers Noah Veneklasen and Marco Sanchez. It is from this interview that the film script of "The ...
- Dr Wayne Dyer ~ Finding Your Dharma [The Shift ( From Ambition to Meaning )]
Dr. Wayne Dyer as himself, from movie "The Shift", formerly entitled "Ambition to Meaning"
- Fame Fortune Ambition Meaning Essentials
- The Shift: Ambition to Meaning - Striving to Arriving
- Ambition chord usage - explanation
- Wayne Dyer Ambition to Meaning cut
- Download Fame Fortune And Ambition What Is The Real Meaning Of Success PDF
- Realise your ambition with Media, Culture and Language at Roehampton
Discover your future here...
- Ambition (Noun) - Daily Dictionary
- Dictionary: Ambition
Meaning of the word Ambition.
- Ambition Institute of Foreign language
See also the pronunciation examples of Ambition!
Quotes about Ambition
Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMBITION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ambition!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ambition to see it in context!