On this page:
- Definition of the noun amendment
- Phrases with Amendment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amendment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amendment
- Photos about Amendment
- Video language resources about Amendment
- Quotes about Amendment
- Scrabble value of A1M3E1N1D2M3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of AMENDMENT
- Share this page
Amendment is a member of the word family amend, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amendment
What does amendment mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amendments
- the act of amending or correcting
- a statement that is added to or revises or improves a proposal or document (a bill or constitution etc.)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: statement = a message that is stated or declared
- First Amendment = an amendment to the Constitution of the United States guaranteeing the right of free expression
- Fifth Amendment = an amendment to the Constitution of the United States that imposes restrictions on the government's prosecution of persons accused of crimes; mandates due process of law and prohibits self-incrimination and double jeopardy
- Fourteenth Amendment = an amendment to the Constitution of the United States adopted in 1868
- Eighteenth Amendment = an amendment to the Constitution of the United States adopted in 1920; prohibited the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages
- Nineteenth Amendment = an amendment to the Constitution of the United States adopted in 1920
Alternative definition of the noun amendment
- An alteration or change for the better; correction of a fault or of faults; reformation of life by quitting vices.
- synonym: improvement
- In public bodies; Any alteration made or proposed to be made in a bill or motion that adds, changes, substitutes, or omits.
- synonym: reformation
- [legal] Correction of an error in a writ or process.
- synonym: emendation
- An addition to and/or alteration to the Constitution.
- That which is added; that which is used to increase or supplement something.
Amendment is a record label.
"Amendment" is a musical EP of Diligence.
- Amendment: An amendment is a formal or official change made to a law, contract, constitution, or other legal document. It is based on the verb to amend, which means to change. Amendments can add, remove, or update parts of these agreements. They are often used when it is better to change the document than to write a new one.
- Amendment: A change in a document made by correction, adding, substituting or omitting a certain part. Amendments are the mechanism of changes introduction, further development and improvement of previously submitted or approved clinical study protocols and proposals.
Phrases with Amendment
- fifth amendment
- first amendment
- Friendly amendment
- Wrecking amendment
- eighteenth amendment
- fourteenth amendment
- nineteenth amendment
- Constitutional Amendment
- take the fifth amendment
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amendment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by U S Congress
It is time that we hold these companies accountable, and the Eshoo-Lofgren amendment is the right prescription for this ailment. Mr. Speaker ...
Between Law and Culture (2001)
Relocating Legal Studies by Lisa C. Bower, David Theo Goldberg, Michael C. Musheno
Nowadays, the First Amendment is the First Refuge of Scoundrels. STANLEY FISH (1994) In John J. Hurley etal. v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Group of Boston (1995), the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that ...
A Guide from the First Amendment Center by Charles C. Haynes, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
launched the Bill of Rights initiatives of the 1960s, and prepared materials for an earlier generation of students would applaud what is today being done under First Amendment Schools auspices. The First Amendment is the oldest and most ...
by Gerald Hill Attorney
Amendment. VII. (1791). in suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the united states , ...
Drugs in American Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law [3 volumes] (2014)
by Nancy E. Marion, Willard M. Oliver
Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1920– 1933) The Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution established Prohibition ...
Encyclopedia of Maryland (1999)
by Nancy Capace
or amendments shall be submitted, in a form to be prescribed by the General Assembly, to the qualified voters of the State for adoption or rejection. The votes cast for and against said proposed amendment or amendments, severally, shall be ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amendment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amendment
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Amendment
Click on an item to play that video:
- The 6th Amendment Explanation
By Justin Park, Daniel Jang, Noel Kim, and Elizabeth Song Script: In jail? Tired of waiting for almost three years in that gloomy, dark cell for your trial? And what ...
- Justice Scalia Confused About 14th Amendment's Meaning - Political Maniacs
- 13th Amendment Definition
- 1st Amendment Definition
- The Meaning of the Fourth Amendment in a Digital Age (June 16, 2014)
As the Supreme Court prepared to decide two cases about cell phone data search and seizure, Jeffrey Rosen convened a panel, including Solicitor General for ...
- 14th amendment definition
Haley and Dakota.
- The Meaning of the Second Amendment
On Thursday, July 31, 2014, ACS hosted a symposium on the Second Amendment at the National Press Club. Leading experts in the morning panel of the ...
- Restore the Fourth: Upholding the Meaning of the 4th Amendment
Mr. Stolyarov discusses his experiences at the July 4, 2013, Restore the Fourth protest in Carson City, in opposition to the unconstitutional surveillance by the ...
- Wrecking amendment Meaning
Video shows what wrecking amendment means. An amendment made in bad faith by a legislator who disagrees with the principles of a bill and seeks to make it ...
- Amendment Video Definition | History Illustrated
a basic definition of the word Amendment as used in American History.
- Stop the Confusion: A Simple Explanation of Amendment 1
There's a lot of misinformation and half-truths being spread on Amendment 1. Here's a simple explanation of what the actual language of the Amendment says ...
- Amendment Meaning
Video shows what amendment means. An alteration or change for the better; correction of a fault or of faults; reformation of life by quitting vices.. In public bodies ...
- Briggs Amendment explanation
- Carmino Ravosa's "The 19th Amendment" song and explanation
- Amendment Halting Unlimited Foreign Language Translations Passes House!
On June 7th, 2012, Representative Steve King's amendment to the DHS Appropriations bill prohibiting taxpayer dollars from funding unlimited foreign-language ...
- Husted on ResponsibleOhio and Other Amendment Language
Republican Secretary of State Jon Husted talks to reporters after the Ballot Board signed off on ballot language for three proposed constitutional amendments, ...
- ResponsibleOhio to Challenge Marijuana Amendment Ballot Language
Attorney Don McTigue and ResponsibleOhio Spokeswoman Jennifer Redman tell reporters that the group plans to challenge ballot language OK'd by the Ballot ...
- REWRITE! Judge Orders New Language for Redistricting Amendment
Mike Thompson and the Columbus on the Record panel look at the controversial redistricting amendment and new language that will summarize Issue 2 on the ...
- Rubio Pushes New Amendment To Strengthen English Language Requirements
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) answers immigration bill questions from listeners of The Mike Gallagher Show. The bill involves conditions for provisional ...
- Clyde on ResponsibleOhio and Other Amendment Language
State Rep. and Ballot Board member Kathleen Clyde (D-Kent) talks to reporters after the Ballot Board signed off on ballot language for three proposed ...
- Sherman Amendment to Foreign Affairs bill for Sindhi Language Programming Passes Committee Markup
In a House Foreign Affairs Committee markup on July 21, 2011, Congressman Brad Sherman (D-CA) offered an amendment to the Foreign Relations ...
- Second Amendment: Poor Use of Language
- Introduction to Pressure (See Amendment Description)
- Ohio AG Certifies 1851's Health Care Amendment Language
- Sen Groene says Committee Amendment language loose on LB623
2015 Nebraska Legislature LB623 #9 Sen. Groene responds to Nordquist (Video #8)saying the Committee Amendment does not cancel their Drivers Licenses ...
- The 28th Amendment Proposed Language
- Senator Anderson on an amendment to add anti-bullying language to school reforms
- Sen. Orrin Hatch Introduces Abortion Amendment Despite Language Already In Bill
- Wake County Commission Validates Dangerous Language of Amendment One
- Amendment 20 description
See also the pronunciation examples of Amendment!
Quotes about Amendment
I liked the name of the amendment. I couldn't help feeling uneasy that the church was opposing something with a name as beautiful as the Equal Rights Amendment. (Sonia Johnson)
more quotes about amendment...
Scrabble value of A1M3E1N1D2M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMENDMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amendment!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amendment to see it in context!