The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amends:
On this page:
Amends is a member of the word family amend, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
Definition of the noun amends
What does amends mean as a name of something?
- a sum of money paid in compensation for loss or injury
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of amends: damages / indemnification / indemnity / redress / restitution
- more generic word: compensation = something (such as money) given or received as payment or reparation
- more specific terms:
- relief = redress awarded by a court
- compensatory damages / general damages / actual damages = compensation for losses that can readily be proven to have occurred and for which the injured party has the right to be compensated
- nominal damages = a trivial sum (usually $1.00) awarded as recognition that a legal injury was sustained
- exemplary damages / punitive damages / smart money = compensation in excess of actual damages
- satisfaction / atonement / expiation = compensation for a wrong
- something done or paid in expiation of a wrong
"Amends" is a musical album of The Fall Of Every Season.
- released on
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amends
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Nathan Bailey
COMPEN'SABLE, ablo to recompense, or make Amends.
Second Edition by Stephen E Atkins
Amends FISA to require an application for an electronic surveillance order or search warrant to certify that a significant purpose (currently, the sole or main purpose) of the surveillance is to obtain foreign intelligence information. (Sec.
COMPEN'SABLE, able to recompense, or make Amends. - - To COMPENSATE [compenfer, F. compenfare, L.] to make Amends for, or re compense. - -> COMPENSATION, a Recompense or making Amends ...
by Noah Webster
To make amends. COM-PENSA-BLE, a. That may be compensated. COM-PEN' SA-TED or COM'PEN-SA-TED, pp. or a Recompensed; supplied with an equivalent in amount or effect; rewarded. COM-PEN-SATION, m. Recompense; amends.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amends
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amends
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about Amends
Labour amends language in foreign worker speech
View more videos about Make Amends.
See also the pronunciation examples of Amends!
Quotes about Amends
Scrabble value of A1M3E1N1D2S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMENDS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amends!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amends to see it in context!