On this page:
Definition of the noun amide
What does amide mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amides
- any organic compound containing the group -CONH2
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic term: organic compound = any compound of carbon and another element or a radical
- more specific words:
- ethanamide / acetamide = a colorless solid amide of acetic acid used as a solvent and in the synthesis of organic compounds
- acrylamide = a white crystalline amide of propenoic acid can damage the nervous system and is carcinogenic in laboratory animals
- peptide = amide combining the amino group of one amino acid with the carboxyl group of another
- proprionamide / propanamide = the amide of propionic acid
Alternative definition of the noun amide
- [organic chemistry] Any derivative of an oxoacid in which the hydroxyl group has been replaced with an amino or substituted amino group; especially such derivatives of a carboxylic acid, the carboxamides.
- [inorganic chemistry] Any ionic derivative of ammonia in which a hydrogen atom has been replaced with a metal cation.
AMIDE is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as AMIDE fix, waypoint AMIDE, AMIDE waypoint, fix AMIDE
Phrases with Amide
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amide
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by H. Stephen Stoker
An amide is a carboxylic acid derivative in which the carboxyl !OH group has been replaced with an amino or a...
by H. Stephen Stoker
An amide is a carboxylic acid derivative in which the carboxyl !
Forensic Toxicology (2012)
Controlled Substances and Dangerous Drugs by W. Lowry
Toxicology—Pharmacology: d-Lysergic acid amide is the main constituent of ololiuqui, the seeds of Rivea corymbosa. Ololiuqui is the small hallucinogenic seed used by the Aztecs or other Indians for purposes of divination. It is about 50 –100 ...
by Nicholas Long, Wing-Tak Wong
Peptidic bonds: The coupling of an amine group to a carboxylic acid to form an amide is a versatile reaction that can be carried out in aqueous buffers under mild conditions. Most peptide sequences and proteins contain both primary amines ...
Synthesis and Analytics of Rigidified Peptide Architectures. Neuropeptide Y Dipeptide Scan Ring-Chain-Equilibria of Iminopeptides Thiazole Amino Acids for Thiopeptide Antibiotics (2010)
by Sebastian Enck
The Pro13 amide is the crucial determinant of the orientation of the entire N-terminal segment ...
and 1600 nm (first harmonicfree N–H stretch/amide II combination), two wavebands near ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
Ib: any organic compound with the general formula RCONH2 (primary amide). ( RCO)2NH (secondary amide). or (RCO)3N (tertiary amide). All are basic, white, crystalline solids. 2: any inorganic salt that contains NH2.. They are formed by the ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2007)
Chemical classification Vasoconstrictor Concentrations of vasoconstrictor Onset of action Articaine Gold 4 Amide ...
by James A. Schwarz, Cristian I. Contescu, Karol Putyera
Sum frequency generation amide spectra collected from the PS / BSA solution interface in situ. adsorption behaviors and conformations on various surfaces. On hydrophilic surfaces, the orientation of methyl groups in lysozymes is ...
Bur - Clim
Amide. NH,-16. This compound, like ammonium, is not yet known in a separate state, probably on account of its strong attraction for a third eq. of hydrogen or for other bodies. But there are, especially in organic chemistry, many compounds ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amide
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Amide
Photo credit: Cate Vincent
Video about Amide
Video shows what amide means. Any derivative of an oxoacid in which the hydroxyl group has been replaced with an amino or substituted amino group; ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Amide!
Scrabble value of A1M3I1D2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMIDE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amide!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amide to see it in context!