On this page:
- Definition of the verb amplify
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amplify
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amplify
- Usage statistics about amplify
- Photos about Amplify
- Video language resources about Amplify
- Quotes about Amplify
- Scrabble value of A1M3P3L1I1F4Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb amplify
What does amplify mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: amplified
- increase in size, volume or significance
- to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] He overstated the position
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of amplify: exaggerate / hyperbolise / hyperbolize / magnify / overdraw / overstate
- more generic words: misinform / mislead = give false or misleading information to
- more specific terms:
- exaggerate or make bigger
- increase the volume of
Alternative definition of the verb amplify
- [transitive] To render larger, more extended, or more intense, and the like;—used especially of loudspeakers, telescopes, microscopes, etc.
- [transitive, rhetorical] To enlarge by addition or discussion; to treat copiously by adding particulars, illustrations, etc.; to expand; to make much of.
- [transitive] To increase the amplitude of something, especially of an electric current.
Amplify is an American independent film distributor founded in 2014. The company is the result of a merger between distributors GoDigital and Variance Films.
Amplify is a musical group.
- album: "Stimulated Response"
- "Amplify" is a musical album of Dying Passion.
- released on
- "Amplify" is a musical album of John Brown's Body.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Amplify" is a musical album of Slaptones.
- released in (12 years ago)
Amplify is the education subsidiary of News Corp launched in July 2012. Amplify Insight was formed out of Wireless Generation, the educational company bought by News Corp in 2010, and focuses on assessment and analytics for data-driven instruction. Amplify Learning develops a digital curriculum based on the Common Core State Standards. Amplify Access focuses on a tablet-based learning platform for students and teachers.
- also known as Amplify Education
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amplify
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Amplify is a simple and useful awareness park that increases the noise made by enemy movement, roughly doubling the distance from which you can hear an enemy. This increases your ability to hear enemy footsteps, sprinting, and mantling.
Knowledge in the Blood (2009)
Confronting Race and the Apartheid Past by Jonathan D. Jansen
The point to amplify is that this was not simply change within the context of normal organizational life, the cycles of change and restructuring that tend to overwhelm universities everywhere. This was university change in the context of a country ...
With an Appendix Embracing a Dictionary of Briticisms, Americanisms, Colloquial Phrases, Etc. ... by Bp. Samuel Fallows
[See Amplify]. Amplify. Syn. Enrich, enlarge, increase, augment, multiply, dilate, develop, swell, expatiate, expand, dis. cuss, unfold, extend, Ant. Retrench, amputate, curtail condense, abbreviate, epitomize, gath, er, collect, sum.
by Colin Hempstead, William Worthington
Dubbed the de Forest Audion, it was a device that could detect and electronically amplify radio and telephone signals. In 1909 the American company Bell American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T) bought de Forest's patent and improved the ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
[from To amplify.] One that enlarges any thing ; one that exaggerates ; one that represents any thing with a large display of the best circumstances ; it being usually taken in a good sense. — Dorillaus could need no amplifier's mouth for the ...
amplify amplitude noun 1 largeness 2 size amputate verb to cut off (especially a human limb) □ amputation noun amputee noun someone who has had a limb amputated amrit noun 1 a Sikh ceremonial drink 2 the ceremony in which amrit is ...
Folens Dictionary (1999)
by Fred McDonald
amplify verb amplifies, amplifying, amplified To amplify something means to make it ...
by Genie Gertz, Patrick Boudreault
Auditory technology has evolved over time from ear trumpets, which were used to amplify sounds for hardofhearing people by collecting sounds and funneling them into the ear canal. Wearable hearing aids were developed in 1936, and by ...
by Guenter Kahl
A variant of the conventional → polymerase chain reaction that uses → degenerate primers to amplify a representative portion of a genome (including highly, ...
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge, with a New Atlas of the World by William Dwight Whitney
amplificalus, amplify: see amplif: . 1. e act of amplifying or enlarging in imensions; enlargement; extension. Amplification oi the visible figure 0i a known object. Reid, Inq. into the Human Mind. Specifically—2 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amplify
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about amplify
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb amplify:
Photos about Amplify
Click on an item to view that photo:
some one had left this at the site of the world trade centers...
Photo credit: matthewspiel
Photo credit: Incase.
The controls on this amplifier go to eleven.
Photo credit: Xjs-Khaos
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Amplify
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lee LeFever on The Art of Explanation: Inviting Customers to Care | Amplify 2013
Lee LeFever, founder of Common Craft, discusses 'The Art of Explanation: Inviting Customers to Care by Making the Complex Easy to Understand' at the Amplify ...
- WCF Youth Amplify 2012 - Definition Group
WCF Youth - Amplify 2012.
- Vocabulary Amplify
- Amplify Learning -- Core Knowledge Language Arts (Grades K-3)
Core Knowledge Language Arts, the only K-3 Common Core reading and language arts program already demonstrated effective, has been submitted for the ...
- Amplify Curriculum - Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA)
Proven to improve student performance, CKLA is Louisiana's only Tier 1-rated ELA program and New York's official early elementary curriculum.
- Briggs & Riley Verb - Amplify Expandable Brief SKU:#7924312
See also the pronunciation examples of Amplify!
Quotes about Amplify
Scrabble value of A1M3P3L1I1F4Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amplify to see it in context!