The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun amusement:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun amusement
- Phrases with Amusement
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amusement
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amusement
- Photos about Amusement
- Video language resources about Amusement
- Quotes about Amusement
- Scrabble value of A1M3U1S1E1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amusement
What does amusement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amusements
- a feeling of delight at being entertained
- an activity that is diverting and that holds the attention
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of amusement: entertainment
- more generic words: diversion / recreation = an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates
- more specific terms:
- beguilement / distraction = an entertainment that provokes pleased interest and distracts you from worries and vexations
- edutainment = entertainment that is intended to be educational
- extravaganza = any lavishly staged or spectacular entertainment
- militainment = entertainment with military themes in which the Department of Defense is celebrated
- night life / nightlife = the entertainment available to people seeking nighttime diversion
- show = the act of publicly exhibiting or entertaining
Alternative definition of the noun amusement
- [uncountable] Entertainment
- [countable] An activity that is entertaining or amusing, such as dancing, gunning, and fishing.
Specialised definition of the noun amusement
Glossary of sports
a feeling of pleasure caused by something that is funny or enjoyable. (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Amusement" is a 2008 American horror film directed by John Simpson and starring Katheryn Winnick, Laura Breckenridge and Jessica Lucas. The film went direct-to-video in January 2009. It was the last film to be distributed by Picturehouse Entertainment before their closure in 2008 and relaunch in 2013.
- also known as Siniestro, Eğlence, 残虐你，娱乐我
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Neal Edelstein & Mike Macari
- executive producer: Merideth Finn
- production design by Craig Stearns
- art direction by Bence Erdelyi & Mihály Molnár
- written by Jake Wade Wall
- Jessica Lucas as Lisa
- Laura Breckenridge as Shelby
- Katheryn Winnick as Tabitha
- Keir O'Donnell as The Laugh
- Preston Bailey as Max
- Tad Hilgenbrink as Rob
- Rena Owen as Psychiatrist
- Karley Scott Collins as Tabitha
- Kevin Gage as Tryton
- Reid Scott as Dan
- Brennan Bailey as Danny
- Shauna Duggins as Woman In Truck
- Fernanda Dorogi as Cat
- Eyad Kurd-Misto as The Laugh
- Jadin Gould as Shelby
- David Steven Waine as Puppeteer
- Ashley Arnold as School Girl
- David Arnold as Playground Boy
- Alisha Boe as Lisa
- casting by Johanna Ray
- cinematography by Mark Garrett
- edited by David Handman & Chris G. Willingham
- music by Marco Beltrami
- costume design by Andrea Flesch
- genres: Horror, Thriller
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (6 years ago)
- official website: www.amusementmovie.com
"Amusement" is a musical single of Hüsker Dü.
- also known as Statues / Amusement
- released in (34 years ago)
- Amusement is the state of experiencing humorous and entertaining events or situations, and is associated with enjoyment, happiness, laughter and pleasure.
- Amusement is a quarterly high-range French magazine dedicated to video games and digital entertainment. Its first issue was published in May 2008. This magazine of approximately 200 pages is distributed in France and in many English-speaking countries.The magazine has been mainly lauded for the very new and artistic way to represent digital entertainment and videogames.
- official website: www.amusement.fr
Phrases with Amusement
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amusement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Emotions (1992)
by O. H. Green
Although surprise is only sometimes heldtobean emotion, theview that amusement is an emotionisvery common.
by Noël Carroll
amusement is an emotional state, understood in terms of incongruity. On the other hand,
by David Sander, Klaus Scherer
CHRISTINE TAPPOLET amusement Amusement is the state of experiencing funny and often entertaining events or...
amusement is a state we enjoy ...
In Other Shoes (2015)
Music, Metaphor, Empathy, Existence by Kendall L. Walton
Amusement is an intentional experience, an experience of something. It is not a mere twinge or tickle in the stomach that one feels as a result of hearing a good joke. The kind of understanding Anthony is unable to achieve involves an ...
Ethics at the Cinema (2010)
by Ward E. Jones, Samantha Vice
Amusement is an intentional state, both dependent upon and intertwined with an agent's beliefs or imaginings; it is always a response to and about ...
in the U. S. sloop-of-war Peacock ... during the years 1832-3-4 by Edmund Roberts
There are no public houses in the neighbourhood, and the only amusement is a dull drive at sunset, day after day, over ...
by Stephen Sennott
AMUSEMENT PARK 51 Pehnt, Wolfgang, Expressionist Architecture, London: Thames and Hudson and New York: Praeger, 1973. Trans J. Underwood and Edith Kuestner. Originally in German, Die Architektur des Expressionismus, Stuttgart: ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen Reevy, Yvette Malamud Ozer, Yuri Ito
AMYGDALA 59 Amusement as an experience has most often been studied in the broader context of humor. The study of humor involves investigating not only one's reaction to an event or situation (amusement) but also the stimulus that led to ...
Words and Phrases. Being a Compilation of All Words, Phrases and Maxims which Have Been Defined, Construed, Interpreted Or Applied in Virginia and West Virginia Cases and in the Codes of Those States, Combined with a Digest of Virginia and West Virginia Cases and Principles of Law as Therein Applied by Fred P. Caldwell
An amusement company which, for value, has been granted the privilege of exhibiting wheels of a certain class on fair grounds does not forfeit its right to ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
copious, plenty Amplify—enlarge, enhance, improve, strengthen Amsterdam bloom—tulip Amulet—charm, talisman Amuse—entertain, regale, tickle Amuse oneself—play Amuse oneself with lovemaking—philander Amusement— distraction, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amusement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amusement
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about amusement park.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Amusement
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amusement Meaning
Video shows what amusement means. Entertainment. An activity that is entertaining or amusing, such as dancing, gunning, or fishing.. amusement ...
- 3 Poems: The Beach Umbrella, Dispatch, Vocabulary Amusement
Author Justin W. Price reads three short poems from his book "Digging to China" available through Sweatshoppe Publications, Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble ...
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants Job Description
Amusement and Recreation Attendants Job Description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Amusement!
Quotes about Amusement
Scrabble value of A1M3U1S1E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amusement to see it in context!