The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb analyse:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb analyse
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Analyse
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Analyse
- Photos about Analyse
- Video language resources about Analyse
- Quotes about Analyse
- Scrabble value of A1N1A1L1Y4S1E1
- Anagrams of ANALYSE
- Share this page
The word analyse and its family (analysed, analyser, analysers, analyses, analysing, analysis, analyst, analysts, analytic, analytical, analytically) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb analyse
What does analyse mean as a doing word?
Analyse is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: analysed | analysing | analyses
- consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning
- example: Sam and Sue analyse the movie
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- alternative spelling: analyze
- synonyms of analyse: canvass / examine / study
- more specific terms:
- anatomize = analyze down to the smallest detail
- diagnose / name = determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- diagnose = subject to a medical analysis
- appraise / survey = consider in a comprehensive way
- survey = make a survey of
- compare = examine and note the similarities or differences of
- check up on / check into / check over / check out / look into / suss out / go over / check = examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition
- assay = analyze
- reexamine / review = look at again
- scrutinise / scrutinize / inspect / audit = examine carefully for accuracy with the intent of verification
- screen = examine methodically
- follow / trace = follow, discover, or ascertain the course of development of something
- investigate / look into = investigate scientifically
- sieve / sift = check and sort carefully
- consider / look at / view = look at carefully
- break down into components or essential features
- make a mathematical, chemical, or grammatical analysis of; break down into components or essential features
- subject to psychoanalytic treatment
Alternative definition of the verb analyse
- [transitive] To subject to analysis.
- [transitive] To resolve (anything complex) into its elements.
- [transitive] To separate into the constituent parts, for the purpose of an examination of each separately.
- [transitive] To examine in such a manner as to ascertain the elements or nature of the thing examined; as, to analyse a fossil substance, to analyse a sentence or a word, or to analyse an action to ascertain its morality.
Specialised definition of the verb analyse
Glossary of sports
to examine in detail (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Analyse is a musical group.
- album: "Désirs de tendresse"
- "Analyse" is a pop rock song recorded by Irish band The Cranberries. It was the first single from their fifth studio album, Wake Up and Smell the Coffee, released in 2001. The promotional video, directed by Keir McFarlane, had to be edited in consequence of the 9/11 attacks.
- music and lyrics by Dolores O'Riordan
- "Analyse" is a song by Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke and is the second track on his 2006 album The Eraser. The song was released on 30 October as a digital download and on 6 November as a limited edition 12" single in the United Kingdom.
- music by Thom Yorke
- "Analyse" is the 2001 single by The Cranberries.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Analyse" is a musical single of Thom Yorke.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Analyse" is a musical album of Juliensblog.
- released on
- "Analyse" is a musical album of Philippe Chatel.
- released in (39 years ago)
- "Analyse" is a composition.
- music by Subeena
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Analyse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
That the series of harmonic combinations answers in general to combinations difficult to analyse is an interesting generalisation ; but what one wants to know is how this can be made to explain the fact that art seeks such combinations as ...
Social Research and Machine Intelligence by Francesca D'Errico, Isabella Poggi, Alessandro Vinciarelli, Laura Vincze
The first interaction we will analyse is an excerpt from a political debate. In 2007, the two main candidates in the presidential elections in France were confronted in a televised debate. Nicolas Sarkozy, from a right wing party (UMP), had been ...
by World Trade Organization
Moreover, while the relevant variable to analyse is the entry price as ...
by Jens Als-Nielsen, Des McMorrow
The form factor of isolated particles The simplest case to analyse is a dilute solution of molecules, or more ...
Inconsistency Tolerance (2005)
by Leopoldo Bertossi, Anthony Hunter, Torsten Schaub
Analyses. Arguably, the most important logical language to analyse is that of classical logic. So far in this review we have considered a variety of approaches. Syntactic analysis is an obvious starting point for use with classical ...
The Mathematics Dictionary (1992)
by R.C. James, Glenn James
Analogy Analyse. Analysis Analyse de sensitivite. Analyse des facteurs .
by Charles E. Orser Jnr
Feminist research in historical archaeology has corrected androcentric methods and created new methods to analyse gender without male biases. In a 1985 chapter in Archaeology, Ecology and Ethnohistogi Qf the Prairie—Forest Border zone ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Analyse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Analyse
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Simon Vanherweghe
View more pictures about Analyse This.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Analyse
Click on an item to play that video:
- ABC Analyse Definition Begriff
- ABC Analyse, Definition, Gratis Lernhilfe!
- ABC Analyse, Definition, Beispiele, Gratis Lernhilfe
- FMEA Analyse, Definition
FMEA Analyse, Definition.
- 10.2.92 use goal analysis to analyse plans for definition of requirements
- VCE English - How to analyse persuasive techniques (Language Analysis)
- VisibleThread (Training): Analyse document Plain Language
- Analyse et description du samsung galaxy mega 6.3
See also the pronunciation examples of Analyse!
Quotes about Analyse
Scrabble value of A1N1A1L1Y4S1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANALYSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Analyse!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Analyse to see it in context!