Analysis appears in the following tongue twister:
- Dimensional analysis
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun analysis:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun analysis and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun analysis
- Phrases with Analysis
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Analysis
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Analysis
- Photos about Analysis
- Video language resources about Analysis
- Sign language
- Quotes about Analysis
- Scrabble value of A1N1A1L1Y4S1I1S1
- Anagrams of ANALYSIS
- Share this page
Analysis is a member of the word family analyse, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun analysis
What does analysis mean as a name of something?
Analysis is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: analyses
- an investigation of the component parts of a whole and their relations in making up the whole
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: investigating / investigation = the work of inquiring into something thoroughly and systematically
- more specific terms:
- anatomy = a detailed analysis
- case study = a detailed analysis of a person or group from a social or psychological or medical point of view
- qualitative analysis / chemical analysis = the act of decomposing a substance into its constituent elements
- cost analysis = breaking down the costs of some operation and reporting on each factor separately
- dissection = detailed critical analysis or examination one part at a time
- fundamentals analysis / fundamental analysis = the use of fundamentals as an investment strategy
- technical analysis of stock trends / technical analysis = analysis of past price changes in the hope of forecasting future price changes
- the abstract separation of a whole into its constituent parts in order to study the parts and their relations
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of analysis: analytic thinking
- antonym of analysis: synthesis
- more generic terms: abstract thought / logical thinking / reasoning = thinking that is coherent and logical
- more specific terms:
- partitioning / breakdown = an analysis into mutually exclusive categories
- cost-benefit analysis = an analysis of the cost effectiveness of different alternatives in order to see whether the benefits outweigh the costs
- dissection = a minute and critical analysis
- reasoning by elimination / elimination = analysis of a problem into alternative possibilities followed by the systematic rejection of unacceptable alternatives
- reductionism = the analysis of complex things into simpler constituents
- systems analysis = analysis of all aspects of a project along with ways to collect information about the operation of its parts
- trend analysis = analysis of changes over time
- a form of literary criticism in which the structure of a piece of writing is analyzed
- the use of closed-class words instead of inflections: e.g., `the father of the bride' instead of `the bride's father'
- a branch of mathematics involving calculus and the theory of limits; sequences and series and integration and differentiation
- domain: math / mathematics / maths
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic terms: calculus / infinitesimal calculus = the branch of mathematics that is concerned with limits and with the differentiation and integration of functions
- more specific terms: harmonic analysis / Fourier analysis = analysis of a periodic function into a sum of simple sinusoidal components
- a set of techniques for exploring underlying motives and a method of treating various mental disorders; based on the theories of Sigmund Freud
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of analysis: depth psychology / psychoanalysis
- more generic word: psychotherapy = the treatment of mental or emotional problems by psychological means
- more specific word: hypnoanalysis = the use of hypnosis in conjunction with psychoanalysis
Specialised definition of the noun analysis
Glossary of sports
a detailed examination and report. (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Analysis is a musical group.
- albums: "New Mexico", "Oppenheimer Analysis", "Surface Tension", "Radiance / Who's Really Listening"
- official website: www.oppenheimeranalysis.com
- "Analysis" is a musical album of Sun Dial.
- released on
- "Analysis" is a musical album of Minority Sound.
- released in (6 years ago)
- "Analysis" is a musical EP of Attias.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Analysis" is a book by George Pólya.
- "Analysis" is a book by Julian Tyson.
- also known as "Analysis: what analytical chemists do"
- "Analysis" is a book by Ruby V. Rodney.
- also known as "Analysis: Guyanese Creole and American Black English with special emphasis on tense and aspect"
- Analysis is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of it. The technique has been applied in the study of mathematics and logic since before Aristotle, though analysis as a formal concept is a relatively recent development.
- also known as Analyze
- Analysis is a peer-reviewed academic journal of philosophy established in 1933 that is published quarterly by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Analysis Trust. Prior to January 2009, the journal was published by Blackwell Publishing. Electronic access to this journal is available via JSTOR, Wiley InterScience, and Oxford Journals. The journal publishes short, concise articles in virtually any field of the analytic tradition.
- official website: analysis.oxfordjournals.org
- Analysis is a half-hour BBC Radio 4 documentary programme, which has been running for over 40 years.
- official website: www.news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/analysis/default.stm
- Analysis is the journal of the Australian Centre for Psychoanalysis. It contains original articles on the theory and practice of psychoanalysis by international and local contributors. Some issues include translations of Lacan's shorter works.
- official website: www.psychoanalysis.org.au/publications.htm
- Analysis: A tool that supports analysis view is able to hide technical and implementation-specific details such as modifiers, data types and helper methods.
- Analysis: As e-discovery tools and processes have matured, sophisticated analytics methods have been put to use in aid of more and more of the phases of discovery, depicted in the EDRM framework. When the model was originally conceived, the focus was on the analysis of the collected documents to make it easier to cull documents and provide increased productivity during the review step.
Phrases with Analysis
- analysis situs
- cost analysis
- Real analysis
- trend analysis
- factor analysis
- market analysis
- Cluster analysis
- Complex analysis
- fourier analysis
- Lexical analysis
- systems analysis
- Thermal analysis
- chemical analysis
- critical analysis
- Fall-off analysis
- harmonic analysis
- Semantic analysis
- spectrum analysis
View more phrases with the word Analysis in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Analysis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Signals and Systems (2015)
A Primer with MATLAB® by Matthew N. O. Sadiku, Warsame Hassan Ali
Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA) Failure modes and effect analysis is a qualitative tabular technique to examine possible failure modes and solutions during system design which is conducted preventively to avoid errors and ...
Community Ecology (2014)
Analytical Methods Using R and Excel by Mark Gardener
Principal components analysis is an indirect gradient analysis. You specify the community data rather than a dissimilarity. The method produces sample and species scores; species being represented in plots by biplot arrows. The results often ...
Conceptual Foundations (2015)
The Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice by Elizabeth E. Friberg, Joan L. Creasia
Cost-benefit analysis is a useful and powerful tool to justify the investment in nurse-managed...
by David Bailey
Crime scene blood pattern analysis is an observational tool.
Blood pattern analysis is a highly specialized form of forensic science and consists of three independent and linked components. 1.
Ethical, Legal and Political Challenges by Jörg Krüger, Bertram Nickolay, Sandro Gaycken
point: Content analysis is a ubiquitous activity in the digital age, yet its widespread usage, ramifications and significance...
Usability for the Web by Tom Brinck, Darren Gergle, Scott D. Wood
Task analysis refers to a family of techniques for describing various aspects of how people work. This can include...
Innovations and Advances in Computing, Informatics, Systems Sciences, Networking and Engineering (2014)
by Tarek Sobh, Khaled Elleithy
Value Analysis is an organized and creative competiveness method aimed at meeting the user needs using a F. Chichernea (*) A. Vețeleanu Transilvania University of...
by Nina Howe, Larry Prochner
Cost-BenefitAnalys is Cost-benefit analysis is the main tool that economists use to calculate whether a particular public...
Plastics Additives (1997)
An A-Z reference by Geoffrey Pritchard
spectrophotometric analysis is the most powerful and cost effective method available for general analysis. Much of this discussion will be centered around this technique. Other instrumental techniques such as ultra-violet (UV), ...
A Social Justice Model by M. Pratt-Clarke
Discourse analysis is a tool that can be used for historical, sociological, and legal analysis of texts because it focuses on the...
by Michael J. Stahl
Job analysis is the process of collecting information about jobs, including the observable activities performed; the tools and equipment...
by Joel G. Siegel, Jae K. Shim, Anique A. Qureshi, Jeffrey Brauchler
Fundamental analysis appraises the financial condition of a company, the well- being of the industry the company is part of, and the state of the overall...
Company analysis should be undertaken after analysis of the economy and industry.
Bashgali Dictionary (2001)
An Analysis of Colonel J. Davidson's Notes on the Bashgali Language by Sten Konow
An analysis of Col. J. Davidson' Notes on the Bashgali Language...
by Lisa M. Given
“Data Analysis”) provide quick snapshots of the range of categories covered in this volume, while the individual entries listed under each heading show the range of topics within those categories. Some topics (e.g. ...
by Thomas A. Schwandt
Reader's Guide ANALYZING & INTERPRETING Issues Analytic generalization Explanation Generalization Idiographic interpretation Inference Interpretation Nomothetic knowledge Logics Abduction Deduction Inductive analysis Means ...
A Detailed Analysis of Abdul Ghafur's Dictionary of the Terms Used by Criminal Tribes in the Panjab (1880)
by Gottlieb William Leitner
ANALYSIS. THE heading "Original Slang Terms in Roman" is scarcely correct as a description either of the artificial language of thieves, elsewhere called " Thieves' Latin," or of real dialects spoken hy tribes, whether criminal or not.
by Thomas H. Ollendick, Carolyn S. Schroeder
DEFINITION Behavior analysis refers to the process of analyzing children's behavior in terms of fundamental learning principles. Basically, there are three types of learning: (1) classical conditioning, which refers to a form of learning in which a ...
by Jack Cazes
Analysis. by. Capillary. Electrophoresis. Imran Ali Hassan Y.Aboul- Enein King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia INTRODUCTION The quality of the environment is degrading continuously, due to ...
by Bethel Ann Powers, Thomas R. Knapp
Cluster Analysis McFarlane et al. (2002, 2004) provide a good example of a randomized clinical trial that tested a nursing intervention designed to increase the number of safety-promoting behaviors' practiced by abused women.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Analysis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Analysis
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Analysis
Click on an item to play that video:
- Analysis Definition
Beginning to define analysis as it might apply to literature.
- SWOT Analysis Definition and How to Performance a SWOT Analysis
- Data Analysis - Sentence Meaning #1
In this short combinatory video (screencast plus e-lecture), Prof. Handke discusses the meaning of three selected sentences: First, in terms of their propositions ...
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Literary Analysis, Meaning, Controversy - Bill Murray (1996)
The language of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn made for its controversial condition during its first year on the shelves and into the modern world of literature.
- Statically Indeterminate Explanation - Structural Analysis
Brief explanation of equilibrium equations and how to determine if a structure is statically determinate, indeterminate, or unstable.
- Business Analysis Definition
This video is about Business Analysis Definition. Fhyzics Business Consultants Private Limited is an Endorsed Education Provider of IIBA, Canada and offers ...
- NFX 2014 Webinar: Composite Analysis Definition and Usage in midas NFX
This is a specialist level training webinar for users of midas NFX and all Engineers who want...
- Meaning, Analysis & Interpretation of Financial Statements
Meaning, Analysis & Interpretation of Financial Statements video by Edupedia World...
- Data Analysis -Explanation of Percentile
- Graph Analysis Vocabulary
- Analysis of Alum Lab Explanation
- Anthem For Doomed Youth -- an explanation and analysis
An explanation and analysis of Wilfred Owen's "Anthem For Doomed Youth", which includes a discussion of the contexts of the poem, the meanings of the ...
- Dulce et Decorum Est -- an explanation and Analysis
An explanation of Dulce Et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen for GCSE and A Level students, which explains what the poem is about and some of the techniques ...
- Poetry Analysis 102: "The Definition of Love" by Andrew Marvell
"The Definition of Love" by Andrew Marvell is a poem about unrequited passions. The poet very emphatically declares that Fate itself is against true love.
- Finding Meaning in Points, Areas and Surfaces: Spatial Analysis in R
Everything happens somewhere and spatial analysis attempts to use location as an explanatory variable. Such analysis is made complex by the very many ways ...
- NPV Calculator and IRR Formula in Excel - Definition and Analysis
- Item Analysis Definition
Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- William Blake's 'Introduction to the Songs of Innocence' -- explanation and analysis.
An explanation of the various meanings behind William Blakes' Introduction to the Songs of Innocence, exploring the ways in which the poet reveals the ...
- Explanation of DPA: Differential Power Analysis (from the paper of Kocher et al)
This is an explanation of the Kocher et al paper on Differential Power Analysis. MISTAKE : DPA and SPA are non-invasive, source: ...
- 777-9311 groove analysis, breakdown and explanation, tutorial
TRANSCRIPT NOW AT...
- VCE Language Analysis: Introduction
Introduction to VCE Language Analysis...
- How to achieve A+ in Language Analysis: Introduction
If you're looking for beneficial and valuable advice to boost your marks in Language Analysis then check out the 'How to achieve A+ in Language Analysis' ...
- Language Analysis: Grammar
A session focussing on parts of speech, sentence and clause elements and verb phrases and noun phrases.
- VCE Language Analysis: Planning
Language Analysis: Planning...
- JOB ANALYSIS, JOB DESCRIPTION, JOB SPECIFICATION AND JOB EVALUATION
- President Barack Obama Body Language Analysis
- VCE English - How to analyse persuasive techniques (Language Analysis)
- VCE English - Introductions (Language Analysis)
- Michael Jackson Body Language Analysis by R. Don Steele
Body Language Secrets author R.Don Steele analyzes Michael Jackson's body language on Entertainment Tonight's 'Insider' show.
- How To Analyze People On Sight - Human Analysis, Psychology, Body Language (Audiobook) FULL
How To Analyze People On Sight - Human Analysis, Psychology, Body Language by Elsie Benedict, Ralph Paine Benedict What Newspapers Have Said About ...
View more videos about Systems analysis, Thermal analysis, Semantic Analysis, Analysis paralysis, Discourse analysis, Technical analysis, Asymptotic analysis, Regression analysis, Volumetric Analysis, Dimensional Analysis, Fundamental analysis, Gravimetric analysis, and Cost-benefit analysis.
See also the pronunciation examples of Analysis!
ASL Discourse Analysis: Re-telling in Source Language
Quotes about Analysis
Scrabble value of A1N1A1L1Y4S1I1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANALYSIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Analysis!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Analysis to see it in context!