On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun anatolia
What does anatolia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a peninsula in southwestern Asia that forms the Asian part of Turkey
- example: Battle of Manzikert changed the course of the history of Anatolia.
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of Anatolia: Asia Minor
- instance of: peninsula = a large mass of land projecting into a body of water
- part of: Asia = the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia
- Bithynia = an ancient country in northwestern Asia Minor in what is now Turkey
- Cappadocia = an ancient country is eastern Asia Minor
- Galatia = an ancient country in central Asia Minor
- Phrygia = an ancient country in western and central Asia Minor
- Pontus = an ancient region of northern Asia Minor on the Black Sea
- Aeolia / Aeolis = an ancient coastal region of northwestern Asia Minor (including Lesbos) where the Aeolians founded several cities around 1100 BC
- Lycia = an ancient region on the coast of southwest Asia Minor
- Lydia = an ancient region on the coast of western Asia Minor
- Ephesus = an ancient Greek city on the western shore of Asia Minor in what is now Turkey; site of the Temple of Artemis
- Ilion / Ilium / Troy = an ancient city in Asia Minor that was the site of the Trojan War
- Republic of Turkey / Turkey = a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans
- Ionia = region of western Asia Minor colonized by ancient Greeks
Anatolia, in geography known as Asia Minor, Asian Turkey, Anatolian peninsula, or Anatolian plateau, denotes the westernmost protrusion of Asia, which makes up the majority of the Republic of Turkey.
- also known as Asia Minor, Asian Turkey, Anatolian peninsula, small Asia, Anatolian plateau
- part of Near East, Western Asia
- Anatolia is a musical group.
- album: "Anatolia: A. Meragi - M. Itri"
- ANATOLIA is a musical group.
- album: "Lost Songs of Palestine"
"Anatolia" is an album released in 1997 by the Turkish heavy metal band Mezarkabul.
- also known as Anatolia (2008)
- genre: Heavy metal
- released in (18 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Anatolia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Works (1846)
by Walter Savage Landor
Anatolia is a rose . . . Mahomet, Psha! they all are. God made the rose out of what was left of woman at the creation. The great difference is, we feel the rose's thorns when we gather it; and the other's when we have had it some time. Sergius.
Anatolia is a large, roughly rectangular peninsula that sits between south-eastern Europe and Asia. The term Anatolia refers to the large, semi-arid ...
Active Global Seismology (2017)
Neotectonics and Earthquake Potential of the Eastern Mediterranean Region by Ibrahim Cemen, Yucel Yilmaz
THE CENTRAL ANATOLIAN PLATEAU Tectonically, central Anatolia is a zone of transition among the surrounding regions...
The major morphotectonic entity of central Anatolia is the Kırsehir‐Nigde Massif (Kırsehir continent of Sengör and ...
by Gordon D. Fee, Robert L. Jr. Hubbard
Anatolia is a large, well-watered plateau bordered by mountains on ...
From Prehistoric Times to the Roman Imperial Period by Trevor Bryce, Jessie Birkett-Rees
Anatolia is a name first used in C10 ad for the land mass lying to the east across the Aegean Sea. It comes from the Greek word anatole, 'rising', which refers to the region where from a Greek perspective the 'rising (of the sun)' takes place.
Ancient Turkey (2015)
by Antonio Sagona, Paul Zimansky
The name Anatolia is a relatively modern term first used in the 10th century AD. Before then the country had been loosely referred to by classical writers as ...
by Suzanne Swan
Exploring Cappadocia and Central Anatolia The majestic jewel of Central Anatolia is the Cappadocia region, a bewitching landscape of spectacularly eroded tuff (hardened volcanic ash). Mount Erciyes (Erciyes Dağı), an extinct volcano, ...
by CTI Reviews
Anatolia is a geographic region of Western Asia, comprising most ofthe modern Republic of Turkey. The region is bounded by the Black Sea to the north, the Caucasus to the northeast, the Iranian plateau to the southeast, the Mediterranean ...
Dictionary of Bibliographic Abbreviations Found in the Scholarship of Classical Studies and Related Disciplines (2003)
by Jean Susorney Wellington
ANATOL-: Here are interfiled all entries beginning with this spelling, such as ANATOLIAN, ANATOLISCHE etc. ANATOLIA see A301. A349 ANATOLICA. Leiden & Istanbul 1967- .
by Carl Skutsch
The Huns settled in Central Asia andEurope; the Akhuns in Afghanistan andnorthIndia; theOghuz inIranand Anatolia; the Bulgars in the Balkans and onthe banks of the Volga; the Sabars in Caucasia; the Pecheneks, Kipchaks, andUzs in ...
by Piotr Bienkowski, Alan Millard
ANATOLIA island by a local ruler, dedicated to a goddess 'Anat, powerful queen'. But this goddess Hanat/Anat is possibly only a local deity and not the original of Anat. The name of the 'Hellenistic and 'Roman goddess Atargatis was a ...
by Mark Juergensmeyer, Wade Clark Roof
Anatolia, Mesopotamia, and Syria came under Turkish rule, and Jerusalem became a Muslim city. The Byzantine emperor Alexis Comnenius called for help from the west, and Pope Urban II organized the first Crusade against the Muslims to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anatolia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Anatolia
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Anatolia
Video shows what Anatolia means. A peninsula of Western Asia, comprising most of the modern Republic of Turkey. Bounded by the Black Sea to the north, the ...
Scrabble value of A1N1A1T1O1L1I1A1
The value of this 8-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Anatolia to see it in context!