On this page:
Definition of the verb animadvert
What does animadvert mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: animadverted | animadverting | animadverts
- express one's opinion openly and without fear or hesitation
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of animadvert: opine / sound off / speak out / speak up
- more generic word: declare = state emphatically and authoritatively
- more specific words: editorialise / editorialize = insert personal opinions into an objective statement
- express blame or censure or make a harshly critical remark
Alternative definition of the verb animadvert
- [obsolete, intransitive] To consider.
- [archaic, legal, intransitive] To turn judicial attention (to); to punish or criticise.
- To criticise, censure.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for animadvert
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Word and Phrase (1901)
True and False Use in English by Joseph Fitzgerald
Etymologically, Animadvert is a double of Attend, or rather of the more ample expression animum attendo : it means to turn the mind toward ; but that literal...
In English, too, Animadvert means to blame, notice with disapproval, condemn.
by Robert Joseph Sullivan
For example, the word animadvert is a primitive in English, but a derivative in Latin. The primitive words in any language are very few when compared with the whole amount of its vocabulary. The shortest and easiest way, therefore, of learning ...
[Animadvert.] 1. A* adjective; Having the faculty of perception, or the power of perceiving. 2. Ah xuhstuntive: That which has the faculty of perception ; the soul. " That lively inward antmadversal: it is the soul itself; fori cannot conceive the body ...
The Dimwit's Dictionary (2006)
More Than 5,000 Overused Words and Phrases and Alternatives to Them by Robert Hartwell Fiske, Joseph Epstein
admonish; animadvert; berate; castigate; censure; chasten; chastise; chide; condemn; criticize; denounce; denunciate; discipline; impugn; objurgate; punish; rebuke; remonstrate; reprehend; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for animadvert
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about animadvert
Video shows what animadvert means. To consider.. To turn judicial attention (to), to punish or criticise.. To criticise, censure.. Animadvert Meaning. How to ...
Scrabble value of A1N1I1M3A1D2V4E1R1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine